Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LPR Marina AX 5 5/21
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
grantsfo
Anyone planning to run with the "good times" region AX next Sunday?

http://lpr.pca.org/flyers/20060521-lprax3.pdf

Pics from the last event

http://lpr.pca.org/ax/2006/lprax2/photos/default.htm
Trekkor
I'm going to skip this one.

I do like Marina.

KT
nine14cats
Can't make this one. Fritz is in the health spa for a workout.

Bill P.
grantsfo
Broke my 914 yesterday so I brought out the new Mazda 6 Sedan for a spin at Marina AX. All 3700 lbs of AWD 4 door turbocharged goodness. I didnt have much hope that this car would do well with all its heft and skinny 215/45/18 street tires on narrow little 7" rims.

First run group had 3 runs of 8 total before it started raining. Now here is hilarious part, after completion of two runs I had TTOD in the first run group ...that was soon to change. Stayed dry enough for Logan in his 260 hp Miata and few other cars running DOT race rubber to get their tires warm - a few cars slipped in times faster than mine before rain started to fall. Gets even better I set my second fastest time in full out rain (lots of standing water) on my last run. The wet track let me throw the rear end of the car out a little more than when it was dry!

Most satisfying was beating Albert C's best time in his new Yellow Boxster S driving.gif

We stopped in the AM after both groups had put in 8 runs. No fun AXing in the rain all day.

914's were struggling with the wet surface - lots of brakes locked up etc. Bill Dally was out in his 914 doing a great job considering the wet surfaces.
Trekkor
Pics? We need those.

KT
ConeDodger
I don't think many pics were taken. All us B group guys were thinking that the A group was going to clean and dry the track for us. Then the sky opened... and it never stopped.
That Mazda was doing some ugly dancing but the time clock was very impressed. Better rubber and swaybars and this would have been one of three cars to beat. Actually it probably was one of the three cars to beat! There was a of course the Miata which had things dryed out would have been in the high 40 second range.
There was also a Mini Cooper S that came a second off of the Miata. He even did some backing up on two of his runs before figuring the line through a U-turn.
8 runs for each group and out of the course and on the highway by 11:30am. Well run. Fun course. driving.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 21 2006, 04:49 PM) *

I don't think many pics were taken. All us B group guys were thinking that the A group was going to clean and dry the track for us. Then the sky opened... and it never stopped.
That Mazda was doing some ugly dancing but the time clock was very impressed. Better rubber and swaybars and this would have been one of three cars to beat. Actually it probably was one of the three cars to beat! There was a of course the Miata which had things dryed out would have been in the high 40 second range.
There was also a Mini Cooper S that came a second off of the Miata. He even did some backing up on two of his runs before figuring the line through a U-turn.
8 runs for each group and out of the course and on the highway by 11:30am. Well run. Fun course. driving.gif

Glad you made it down for this event. Wish we could have offered you better weather. Marina is usually a great venue but it really sucks when it rains. That Mini Cooper S was a "Works" addition 200 + HP, suspension, tires etc. It was seriously quick.
ConeDodger
Grant,

Don't apologize for the weather. I DID have fun. It was a good course to drive in the rain. Since it looked like the rain was there to stay I just set a goal to come within 2 seconds of the Boxster S cars that had a semi dry course in the A group. I got a 58 and small change so I did make the goal. I mean face it, you are doing ok if you come within 2 seconds of a similar car with more horsepower, better brakes, and DOT-R tires when they have a dryer course and you have a wet whaletail shooting out the back.
The rain makes you drive smooth. If you don't it will show you where you are overdriving the course.
Next time I will drag Martin with me and we can all get together the night before for dinner.
Great event. Even with the rain. Better than last year when I blew an oil line on the start and spent the rest of the day chasing parts so I could run day two.
Great to meet all you guys. Maybe see you at parts heaven next... Martin will have the flyer for the 914 track day in October for distribution.
Rob driving.gif
grantsfo
I had to post this one. biggrin.gif

IPB Image
grantsfo
One of the few 914's of the day.

IPB Image
Trekkor
that's awful...I'm sick of rain.

Grant is the 914 shift issue handled?

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 29 2006, 07:19 PM) *

that's awful...I'm sick of rain.

Grant is the 914 shift issue handled?

KT

Spent my weekend clearing brush/weeds off my two acres in Bonny Doon. I will work on car next weekend.
Trekkor
Uh, Sir...

We got a DE on Monday.
Don't risk it.

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 29 2006, 09:40 PM) *

Uh, Sir...

We got a DE on Monday.
Don't risk it.

KT

Installing a couple shift linkage bushings should be fairly straight forward. If it ends up being more of an issue than that I woulndt have had time to bring the car in this week any way so I will keep my fingers crossed.
Trekkor
If I were me...you...what was the question? smile.gif

Go out and fix it.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.