Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cryogenic Rotor Treatments
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott
I want to get my rotors cryogenically treated. Anyone know of any body that does this in the SF Bay Area?
Brad Roberts
STOP. PLEASE put the car back together. I know of about 3 people on this BBS out of 1100 some odd who would actually benefit from Cryo rotors. Its worthless for anyone who doesnt race EVERY weekend in a high HP car.

Man.. who feeds you this info ??

B
Scott
I talked to a couple of guys that, yes, race and they said they used to go through rotors pretty fast until they had them frozen. Now they run a couple of seasons and have saved quite a bit of money not having to buy rotors all the time. Thought it might save me money in the long run also.
Brad Roberts
Are they fast ?? Do you see their names at the top of every race chart... do they own all the track records ??

The people constantly replacing rotors are usually SLOW. Because they are constantly on the brakes and over heating them.

Buy some good brake cooling ducts and call it done. You will be fine.

We ran 914's in SCCA and PCA 12-14 times one year and found NO need to replace the rotors (factory injected 2.0 car)

Hang in there..

And if you absolutely have to have it done... I have the place.

Get the car running/driving first. Sweat the details later.

B
Tony C
On the EP Rx-7's we didn't see ANY difference having the rotors cryoed, they all still cracked. We tried three different cryo places as well. For those that don't know I ran a 4 car team for two years and we finished 1-4 in Norpac region both years, we ran two cars the next year and finished 1-2 in Norpac region and have several track records to prove it. If we would have seen a difference we would have used it as we went through A LOT of rotors...

-tony
Brad Roberts
I have to ask this question...

Did Bruces rotors crack first ?? LOL

B
Scott
Thank you Brad and Tony for your input. I was wondering about the claims of less fade, less cracking and warping. You both have answered my questions.
Brad Roberts
Sorry to sound so harsh.. Focus grasshopper.. focus. Must make car drive/run again.

What do I need to do to help you out ? Besides money.

B
Scott
For now...your wisdom great one. I will conatct you as I need other things here shortly. Am about to post my 15X8s with tires (245) on the classifieds.
garyh
QUOTE(Scott @ Sep 25 2003, 10:25 AM)
I talked to a couple of guys that, yes, race and they said they used to go through rotors pretty fast until they had them frozen. Now they run a couple of seasons and have saved quite a bit of money not having to buy rotors all the time. Thought it might save me money in the long run also.

I know this has been beaten to death, but...

A couple of years ago, I had the good fortune of carpooling with a couple of Russian Rocket Scientists. Literally.

One of them designed the booster stage for the Illiac-IV. The other was a metalurgist, specializing in steel. One of his accomplishments was designing the steel used in the trans-siberian pipeline. (A steel pipe full of steaming hot goo running for a thousand miles across a -60C wasteland...)

This guy knew a LOT about steel. A whole d@mn lot. So I asked him about cryogenically treating steel. We had to work through the Russian to English translations of the technical terms, but it came down to a few points:

1) Unless it was done -right-, it was useless. He needed special tests to see if was done right, and most places did it wrong.

2) Cryogenically treated steel is slipperier than non-treated steel. Slippery is NOT good for brakes.

3) The 1st time you got the rotors up to 'normal race' temperature, the treatment un-did itself.

It's possible, that (combining #2 w/ #3) that the treated rotors allow the pads to seat better/quicker, but that would be the total benefit.

G.
Dave_Darling
Very interesting. But we do have people who claim that going to cryo'd rotors has greatly extended rotor life. And some (including a certain engine builder whose name you'd recognize if I included it) who are also very fond of it.

And some of the guys from the Racing list on Rennlist have tried it and found precisely zero difference between treated and untreated rotors.

Hmmmm....

--DD
redshift
How much do they charge? I am thinking of having my head frozen..

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.