Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone heard from Rich Bontempi?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrdezyne
I hate to go public but has anyone had any dealings with HPH lately? I've been emailing Rich since late January trying to get some rear fender flares. I've had a couple replies months ago but lately nothing at all. I just want to give the guy some money for a pair of FG flares, is that too much to ask?

At first I wanted the street weight versions but at this point either will do. If anyone has a set they want to sell please send me an IM or reply, I'm ready to buy!

Thanks...
JeffBowlsby
Call him, he is better on the phone than with email.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 18 2006, 12:53 PM) *

Call him, he is better on the phone than with email.

agree.gif i was just there last weekend ... he's not the email kinda guy, if you know what i mean ...

rolleyes.gif Andy
Trekkor
Yep, he always sends me the parts I need very quickly smilie_pokal.gif
650-364-6234

KT
mrdezyne
Thanks, I'm so used to doing everything by email these days I forget the phone even works. Gracias mi amigos...
Allan
I think my grandma had a phone... biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
Talked to him yesterday, phones still work.
lapuwali
IMHO, if you're not going to answer email, take your email address off your site. Certainly don't have two addresses, one for "info" and one for "sales", since that really implies someone will answer at least one of them.

mrdezyne
FYI for the other 2-3 guys waiting on fenders, his fiberglass guy is slow or backed up and Rich is waiting to get a few sets from him to ship out. He has my email saved and will let me know when they are available. Thanks all! I'm itchen for some FG flares!!!!!
tat2dphreak
ditto... I tried emailing him when I needed parts and it took a little bit, I call... 5 minutes later it's taken care of... great guy to do business with
SirAndy
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 18 2006, 02:07 PM) *

IMHO, if you're not going to answer email, take your email address off your site. Certainly don't have two addresses, one for "info" and one for "sales", since that really implies someone will answer at least one of them.

i agree, but i'm also pretty sure he hasn't looked at his own website in years ...

maybe someone should point the email thing out to him ...
smile.gif Andy
Randal
QUOTE(mrdezyne @ May 18 2006, 12:51 PM) *

I hate to go public but has anyone had any dealings with HPH lately? I've been emailing Rich since late January trying to get some rear fender flares. I've had a couple replies months ago but lately nothing at all. I just want to give the guy some money for a pair of FG flares, is that too much to ask?

At first I wanted the street weight versions but at this point either will do. If anyone has a set they want to sell please send me an IM or reply, I'm ready to buy!

Thanks...

Still there, alive and kicking. Bought some shims from him on Monday afternoon.
ppickerell
popcorn[1].gif owned.gif
Elliot_Cannon
E mail is a poor form of communication. (imho). I would much rather talk to a real person on the phone than to that persons computer.
Cheers, Elliot
mrdezyne
True its nice to hear the voice if the person you are dealing with but for record keeping its nice to have that digital version of what was discussed and when. I would think in sales it would be invaluable to have written records of what people are asking for. Anyway, I spoke to Rich and he is on top of it. Thanks!

nine14cats
popcorn[1].gif

happy11.gif
Elliot_Cannon
That is a good point. That's why I always document important phone calls. Date, time, name of person I spoke with and reason for the conversation. Especially when talking to anyone at my employer.

Cheers, Elliot

QUOTE(mrdezyne @ May 18 2006, 03:00 PM) *

True its nice to hear the voice if the person you are dealing with but for record keeping its nice to have that digital version of what was discussed and when. I would think in sales it would be invaluable to have written records of what people are asking for. Anyway, I spoke to Rich and he is on top of it. Thanks!

jhadler
Yeah, Rich is a phone guy. Good thing too, he's almost always willing to chat for a few minutes. A veritable fountain of knowledge and all around good guy.

Nearly 10 years later since moving away from the SF Bay Area, I still have that phone number memorized...

-Josh2
Mike D.
Why would you wait 4 months for something you can get from several vendors? Pelican, Performance, A.I.R....there are probably several others...
McMark
MikeD, there's only one place that sells HPH flares. wink.gif We're not talking GT flares that everyone sells. It wasn't clearly stated in this thread.
Brad Roberts
They dont sell his SCCA legal production flares.

Rich has been trying for several years to locate another fiberglass guy that can do lay up with his moulds. Trying to locate a fiberglass guy in NorCal is not easy. I offered to have the stuff done in Mexico (same place we are having Boxster hardtops done) We will see what happens. I want a race set also for a autox car that I will get too sooner or later.

I created the second email account when I was there. The first account was being bombarded with SPAM because the original web guy used the actual email address on the front page and th spiders picked it up.

B
GTeener
QUOTE(nine14cats @ May 18 2006, 03:29 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

happy11.gif

gayfight.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Brad Roberts
HPH *probably* wont be around another year from now. Business is slow and the cost of doing business in the state of CA is really high.

It is hard to sell parts when nobody know's you have them.

B
Brad Roberts
Pretty childish.

B
nine14cats
FWIW, I had a set of the HPH flairs on my 914-6 and they were cool. Light and aero all the way. They could fit cantilever slicks under there as well as 22x10x16 slicks on 16x10 rims. I don't know what size Dot-r's you could get under there, but I'm sure some pretty wide ones.

I acutally ended up getting the street version that were slightly thicker than the race version. I figured I would abuse them by leaning up against them and I didn't want them to crack.

Seems like selling on the internet would work as a business model.

Bill P.
lapuwali
Who would Rich sell out to? GPR? Parts Heaven? EASY? I can't imagine too many places trying to absorb that huge pile of parts.
Brad Roberts
It will get thrown away. The used 914 parts market is for home users.

Selling on the web:

He does pretty well with Ebay, but the flow isnt there.

The hardest part: inventory everything/document it all.

B
Jenny
Rich needs an open house, and a metal detector. We all walk in empty handed except for a MagLite, go shopping for 914 parts, and pay on our way out. Maybe the day after thanksgiving, when all the wives are out shopping as well. Best day to justify an automotive related purchase, if you ask me. biggrin.gif

Hmmm... I suppose all those parts will have to be priced somehow. idea.gif

Jen
ppickerell
QUOTE(GTeener @ May 18 2006, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(nine14cats @ May 18 2006, 03:29 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

happy11.gif

gayfight.gif

popcorn[1].gif

chair.gif dead horse.gif chair.gif dead horse.gif chair.gif dead horse.gif confused24.gif finger.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif

popcorn[1].gif
ppickerell
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 18 2006, 03:55 PM) *

HPH *probably* wont be around another year from now. Business is slow and the cost of doing business in the state of CA is really high.

B

idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif
stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif
icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif
popcorn[1].gif
Brad Roberts
I have told him several times: Clean the place up. Get rid of the piece of shit 944's and come to reality when it comes to used parts pricing. The 914 "heyday" is gone. Get in line with the rest of the USA on used parts pricing. Scott Yeaman has told him the same thing.. Larry has told him the same thing.. his brothers.. his ex wife... anyone who gives a shit about Rich has told him the same things.

It is VERY hard to tell someone how to change when they have been extremely successful in the past with their strategies. Today's business' operate completely differently than they did 10 years ago. You have to change with the times.

B
spunone
Brad you talking about Adrain in Mexico about the Glass work? does great stuff
Brad Roberts
Yep. I also have a carbon fiber guy that I was going to have take a look at Rich's flares. I would like a set in CF.

B
lapuwali
If it's throw away time, someone needs to talk to the people at EASY and Parts Heaven about making an offer for the pile. If Rich won't go to them, they need to go to him. If they're not interested (I'd be surprised, esp. if the price is "come get it"), then a local firesale is indeed in order. I'd certainly rent a pickup and haul away everything I could carry. If all of the Bay Area 914 people did that, we'd probably get a good fraction of it all.

spunone
Small word aint it
Brad Roberts
He wont give anything away. He would sell the whole building/contents in one swoop. The new owners would probably throw everything away.

Think about it:

PartsH has a moving inventory of parts. Why would they want 914 and 944 parts?

B
jimtab
agree.gif
Besides....Rich is well....he's just Rich...old school...if that doesn't work for you...I guess there's always AA... biggrin.gif
QUOTE(McMark @ May 18 2006, 03:49 PM) *

MikeD, there's only one place that sells HPH flares. wink.gif We're not talking GT flares that everyone sells. It wasn't clearly stated in this thread.

markb
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 18 2006, 04:33 PM) *

If it's throw away time, someone needs to talk to the people at EASY and Parts Heaven about making an offer for the pile. If Rich won't go to them, they need to go to him. If they're not interested (I'd be surprised, esp. if the price is "come get it"), then a local firesale is indeed in order. I'd certainly rent a pickup and haul away everything I could carry. If all of the Bay Area 914 people did that, we'd probably get a good fraction of it all.

I'd rent Uhaul & trailer & go up & cart as much as they could hold.
Britain Smith
I have also tried several times to help me move some inventory. The biggest problem is that no matter how much you try to help him, he does very little to pay you back. He has lots of parts and lots of cool stuff sitting around, problem is he wants WAY TOO MUCH for most of the shit.

-Britain

Here are some pictures...
HPH Inventory...Outside.

HPH Inventory...Inside
Britain Smith
Rims anyone...

IPB Image

Hood?

IPB Image

Headlights...

IPB Image

Targa Tops.

IPB Image

markb
ohmy.gif drooley.gif
nomore9one4
agree.gif drooley.gif
QUOTE(markb @ May 19 2006, 05:29 AM) *

ohmy.gif drooley.gif

Andyrew
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 18 2006, 03:55 PM) *

B

Yup..

He needs to be able to do his buisness online. and I will buy from ONLY him..

Currently its SO much easyer to click "buy" from pelican...

davep
Ah, so this is one of the 'lost warehouses'!
Andyrew
but we know exactly where it is...
mrdezyne
It was not my intent to "unleash the hounds" on Rich. He obviously has a following and has made many friends over the years. It would be a shame to see someone like this have to go out of buisness for whatever reason. Hopefully the ideas here are taken as creative suggestions and will prove to help him continue the good fight. With a parts stash like that and sooo many teeners in need out there we need Rich around for a while longer....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.