Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel cell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motorpants
who has the best fuel cell for my '75 914 - what would I expect to pay?

is it stupid but buy such a safety device used? or not?

I am not doing alot of track stuff but its now a VARAC (Vinatage Canada thing) requirement - I guess my point is I don't want to spend for the best but I want the thing to work and would rather not burn to death

thanks
Leo Imperial
Burning to death sucks
I want to see what some options are so icon_bump.gif for not burning to death
Now that i think about it I don't even want to burn close to death.
turboman808
Thats got to be real hard to answer.

Mine has the one that fits in the stock location. It's ceratinly looks nice. But it does seem to sit pretty darn high. Mounting one up front makes more sense to me but seems alot of people think it's not as safe. Probably isn't but it looks pretty sick.

I kinda like the ones where they cut into the wall in the front trunck.
brant
The really affordable cells are plastic and don't qualify for most wheel to wheel sanctioning bodies.

You need to check with your sanctioning body and see what is legal.

I'm guessing you will want a metal cell with a bladder.

you can buy prefabed or even have custom made up.

choices are usually between steel or aluminum exteriors.

kinda depends upon your mounting location, displacement and gas volume need.

brant
Jeroen
Patrick Motorsports has a very nice fuelcell
It's basically a stock 914 tank with a bladder installed
xitspd
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Jeroen @ May 18 2006, 08:06 PM) *

I agree!
Lou W
I'm liking the Patrick Motorsports one.

Hi Dan, how ya doin? smile.gif
roadster fan
agree.gif I also love the PMS cell........until I saw the $$$$$$$$$$. At this point I still plan on using one though.

Up to this point the other solutions I have seen are a less "elegant" choice.
d914
fuel safe or ATL $500-$600 12-15 gal mounted on the front trunk floor.

If autocrossing, there are some small 1-5 gal vertical tanks that would fit in the stock location.

Cheaper , the full size hard plastic tanks that have a AL or steel enclosure. Ok for DE"s and such might not be legal for door to door stuff.

DO NOT BUY USED, unless you really know what your getting, ask me how i know!!
brant
using a square style offers the advantage of moving the weight lower in the chassis

the trade off is that it is further forward...
and that the installation is more labor intensive.

check out my vintage thread in my signature.
we were able to use an aluminum for weight savings and then slide it right up against the forward edge of the anti-sway bar.

as low as possible... and not much further forward than stock...
brant
motorpants
as always thanks for the help!

josh
campbellcj
QUOTE(xitspd @ May 18 2006, 09:44 PM) *

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Jeroen @ May 18 2006, 08:06 PM) *

I agree!

I have the Patrick cell also and it is a very nice piece but I think now even more $$$$ than when I bought mine a couple years ago. It's a good option if you now or ever want to run with vintage groups that require the tank to be in the stock location.

Also, if you have a serious oil cooler, radiator or other stuff down on the trunk floor, you probably won't have room left for a conventional 'box' cell down there.

Do you run without a vent? I'm not sure it's good to have the cell/tank totally sealed like that without a vent...just a thought.
motorpants
tank must be vented I would think - maybe I mis-understood

my oil cooler is in the rear trunk

looks like ATL is winning this battle - certainly not as pretty as the Patrick but then again neither am I
Joe Bob
Fuel safe seem to be popular, reasonably priced but not 914 specific.

Patrick's look nice but are expensive and prolly suffer from build defects like his shitty engine mounts.....
Jeroen
patrick's are build by Fuel Save (patrick has an exclusive on it)

most fuel cell companies will build you a custom bladder for the container you provide

I'm curious how the split the stock tank at the flange
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Jeroen @ May 20 2006, 07:16 AM) *

patrick's are build by Fuel Save (patrick has an exclusive on it)

Yes, I know that....just being boorish again.... happy11.gif
Jeroen
I knew you knew...
just thought you could bash Fuel Safe as well (because the do exclusives for Patrick) wink.gif

Joe Bob
You would think the moron was smart enuff to move his stickers over a bit so that they don't end up under the clamp.....
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Jeroen @ May 20 2006, 07:27 AM) *

I knew you knew...
just thought you could bash Fuel Safe as well (because the do exclusives for Patrick) wink.gif

Actually no. I called Fuel Safe and you can ship your tank to them, they will cut up and install their cell and send it back. Their cost is $1750 and to go higher in June as the company has been purchased by another firm and they are raising prices. You also have to pay shipping each way, and they don't clean it up or paint it like Jim does. PMS's cell is a cheaper route than Fuel Safe direct.
campbellcj
Correct; I spoke with Fuel Safe when I was shopping and they had a long lead time whereas Patrick had built tanks on the shelf. I got mine in 2 days. The price difference was not huge plus I didn't have to ship my old tank anywhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.