Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V-8 water pump took a dump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
My water pump (Renegade/Chrysler) just stopped pumping, it got noisy and likely had a internal catastrophe. It didn't leak and I shut it down before it got over 210. I guess I could replace the pump but think an electric one might be in order. I would likely use a 55 gph Meziere. What do you guys think?
lapuwali
What kind of service life are people getting from electric pumps these days? The only time I looked (years ago), the Davies-Craig unit was the most commonly available, and it only had a service life of 20-30K miles, which didn't sit well with it's $400 price tag.

drive-ability
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 18 2006, 02:50 PM) *

What kind of service life are people getting from electric pumps these days? The only time I looked (years ago), the Davies-Craig unit was the most commonly available, and it only had a service life of 20-30K miles, which didn't sit well with it's $400 price tag.

That is a good question, Meziere as I read some where states 20K hours but I can't seem to find a reference to that now. I would be happy with 20K miles and I really don't like the belt driven pump by ******** (I don't like to put down parts because I may not have them installed correctly etc.) for a few reasons but don't have experience with electric ones to draw upon. I have herd the Meziere is the best, and is quiet as well. I do have a 150 amp alternator so I can feed it what it needs. I would also assume having a clean cooling system is important.

Still need some input of your knowledge / experiences type.gif
nine14cats
Check this link out for V8 electric pumps....

Dedenbear Electric Pump

Bill P.
marks914
Just get another impeller, they are around $60

Mark
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(marks914 @ May 18 2006, 06:17 PM) *

Mark

And you can get them almost anywhere, nice thing when it breaks again and you are out of town. smoke.gif
byndbad914
Hey John,

I have the WP337 remote mount from Mezierre. Really nice piece. I have been really happy with it, though admittedly have very little use so far - 6 or 7 track days before going tube chassis. Used a ton of Mezierre pumps in customer street/race cars and was always happy with them.

Another Tim - at Ron Davis Radiators in AZ - has the exact same pump in his V8 914 with A/C and says it never overheats even at 110 degree temps with the A/C on. The 337 has the single inlet (to match the radiator single outlet) and 2 outlets that you can put -12 fittings on. Then just route those to your fittings on the front of the engine you already have.

What I have specifically - 1-1/4" outlet from radiator, so I put a 1-1/4" inlet in the pump. Then, I have 3/4" hose fittings on the engine, so I went -12 outlets and the barbed-style AN fittings so I just slip the 3/4" hose on them.
byndbad914
pix from my site of engine compartment before - you can kinda see the water pump.

don't make too much fun of my fuel line to the carb - I really wanted to fire it that day and didn't have a 90deg fitting for the carb adapter, so I looped it into a straight fitting. Shot was taken about 5 minutes before starting it for the first time IIRC...
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

edit - here is the engine on the dyno - you can kinda see the engine fittings that are 3/4" slip-on AN pieces.
Click to view attachment
drive-ability
IPB Image

Here is a picture of the impeller, I found two blades in the back of the pump.

Has this happened to other guys???
What application is the pump originally designed for?

byndbad914, First off the engine bay looks great!
Does the pump make a lot of noise?
dlee1967
Just a note on the Chrysler BB water pump. Some units have a stamped steel impeller that will bend and eventually fatigue if reved too high before the thermostat is open. (Ask me how I know..........my wife's Friday car is a V8 914 and we live 2 blocks from the freeway. She never warms up the car before hitting the interstate!) I found that the waterpumps are also available with a cast impeller that eliminates this concern. Don't buy another pump with a stamped impeller and you should be OK. Renegade supplies the "cheaper" units with their kits.

The electric pumps are OK, but if you drive your car any distance and it takes a dump, you only have your AAA card to bail you out. You won't find a replacement electric pump on a Sunday in Muleshoe, TX. DLee
byndbad914
QUOTE(drive-ability @ May 18 2006, 07:02 PM) *

byndbad914, First off the engine bay looks great!
Does the pump make a lot of noise?

Thanks... it makes noise admittedly, but I can only hear it when the engine is off (i.e. another nice thing about the electric pump is you can wire it separately and let it flow water through the engine to continue cooling even when the engine is off - great for me at the track). I caught the video of yours running on the bird board and you have a somewhat loud car outside, but when you leaned in the interior, it was rather quiet - enough to hear the radio. In that case, you may not even hear it.

Another thing is maybe mount it in the front trunk right by the radiator. Then it is so far away and you ahve 2 bulkheads to block the noise, you shouldn't hear it. Mine is at the old relay board, right behind my seat, and I have NO firewall padding, so I could hear it with the engine off. My engine is really LOUD though - it'll drown out everything blink.gif
drive-ability
Thanks for the information, I might look at getting a cast impeller but I really want a pump to run coolant after shut down. The idea of keeping the heat soak down really helps restart idle quality. My Edelbrock EFI is a system based back in the late 1980s to early 90s and doesn't have sophisticated programmability. Its works good but not like a new car system.
Thanks again driving.gif
marks914
What type of heat soak problem are you having?
Hard to turn over, flooding or engine just spins?

Mark

PS 25,000 miles on my conversion, no probs with the pump so far
drive-ability
QUOTE(marks914 @ May 19 2006, 12:04 AM) *

What type of heat soak problem are you having?
Hard to turn over, flooding or engine just spins?

Mark

PS 25,000 miles on my conversion, no probs with the pump so far

Its a small issue, the usual high intake temps and my idle quality is effected for a few minutes. My Edelbrock EFI is programmable but in a narrow form. In-order to correct an area not directly addressed you have to go at it in a real round about way. Its not like some of the new systems where you can dial in to 100 rpm increments. I think being able to program a pump would just be another tool to eliminate anything like this. I am sure my T-stat was just about to open but before that happened I pulled a 4k burst which must have damaged the pump. Thats one cheep pump design but we do have an odd set up. spank.gif
Nickm1
I have a spare water pump I can ship to you. I took mine off in favor of the Dedenbear pump.
drive-ability
QUOTE(marks914 @ May 18 2006, 06:17 PM) *

Mark

I have look around and most have pressed impellers. I see some from summit which have cast impellers but are between 100 & 200 dollars. I would like to get the pump next week so EBAY is not looking great. Any suggestions?
type.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.