Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can't get power to fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Wiring my pump for carbs. I've hooked it up to the stock fuel pump wires and grounded the terminal on the relay board (per Andy's classic carb pump thread).

Turn key, no pump... I have changed out both the power supply and pump relays, still the same thing.
I can jumper the fuel pump relay and the pump will turn on...
Any ideas?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Hammy @ May 18 2006, 04:39 PM) *

Turn key, no pump... I have changed out both the power supply and pump relays, still the same thing.

Power supply?

Double check you have the correct paddle connector.
Dr Evil
What did you jumper on the relay board. You need to link two of the sockets from two of the relays together...I forget off hand, but I can check if need be.
Dr Evil
Oh, if jumpering the relay gives you power, then would that not maybe mean that your relay is bad? Did you try a differnent relay?
SirAndy
make sure you got good relays, make sure you got good fuses, make sure the relay socket is CLEAN, make sure the relay makes good contact, if it slides in/out easy, you'll need to carefully pry the pins aparts a bit to give it more bite.

check the relays using your headlights ...

shoot a pic of your relay board the way you have it right now ...
smile.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 18 2006, 05:54 PM) *

You need to link two of the sockets from two of the relays together...

bs.gif

rolleyes.gif Andy
Dr Evil
Oh ya, just jumper the one socket...no need to use profanity rolleyes.gif
Hammy
I jumpered pins 30 and 87 on the fuel pump relay port thing...
By power supply i mean where the black relay is plugged in. I've changed around relays and nothing, but I'll keep trying.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Hammy @ May 18 2006, 07:11 PM) *

I jumpered pins 30 and 87 on the fuel pump relay port thing...
By power supply i mean where the black relay is plugged in. I've changed around relays and nothing, but I'll keep trying.

ok, a few things ...

- make sure the blue fuse (should be 25 Amp btw.) is good. see if you get 12V to it ...

- if so, remove the red relay and see if you get 12V to the topmost pin (30), that's your 12V supply from the battery.

- make sure your groundwire is *ok*. that crimp connector looks a bit flimsy ...

- check ground connection from the left-center pin (85) on the red relay, it should be connected to your homemade groundwire (this is the former trigger from the FI brain).

- if both check out, the bottom pin (87) should have 12V with the key on, that's your 12V supply to the fuelpump. you can also check pin 13 on the large connector at the top, the one that goes into the main harness. the wire in question is black with a red stripe and it should have 12V with the key on. for this, the red relay has to be in it's socket.

you got a voltmeter, right?
smile.gif Andy

PS: and none of this will work if the black relay doesn't work correctly. make sure you get 12V from the bottom pin of the black relay (87) to the right-center pin (86) on the red relay. (12V trigger)
Hammy
Yes, I've got a voltmeter. I'll check all those things tomorrow. Thanks wavey.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.