Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 cyl Marelli's and electronic ignitions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2teeners
I heard you can't fit aftermarket point replacement stuff into the 6 cyl marelli distributors, and the bosch replacements are tough to come by. What would be the best option to improve on the point setup?

Thanks in advance.
Brad Roberts
Crane sells a specific XR700 version for 6cyl Marrelli dizzy's. I should have one in my posession sometime this week.

B
2teeners
Where can I get one? Is there a part no. ?
mskala
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 23 2003, 10:25 PM)
Crane sells a specific XR700 version for 6cyl Marrelli dizzy's.

Is this true? I probably won't be getting one of those
very soon because I have an old prototype from Allison
which has the vane and optics holder that I needed to
hook up the Bosch CD. But it would be nice to know I
can get something to fit in there for my spares (which
are still points).
Mark S.
'70 914-6
prototype optical marelli
homemade 'lectronic rev-limiter
homemade imitation G-meter
Brad Roberts
1968-1976 (7**) 6 Cylinder - w/Perma Tune CD (To Convert Points & Trigger CD) To replace points with electronic pickup to trigger stock Perma Tune CD. Use point output optical trigger Pt. No., 715-0020 with installation kit Pt. No., 700-2231. With this setup the stock tach will still work as it did stock.

7**. If you replace the Perma Tune with our XR unit the stock tach will not work.

Asshole alert: use the web guys (lol)

http://www.cranecams.com/ignition/intro.htm

B
mskala
Brad,
I, being at least as much of a rectum as yourself ohmy.gif ,
would never consider relying on the website of companies
that make this type of general product, hell there are
plenty of people whose SPECIALTY is porsche and they
tell you STUPID things, like the MFI fuel filter is the right
one for the 914-6, and that the 914-6 rear brake pads
are the same as the 914-4 rear pads.

Also, note that they do not mention marelli in the text,
I think you will get a unit that fits in a Bosch. I hope
you're right, but I'm skeptical here.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
Brad Roberts
I agree Marc.

Elsewhere in the website... they specifically use the term Marelli.

The part numbers they give are very generic and fit almost everything made with a dizzy. I used this exact Crane setup in a Marrelli on a 9146 conversion car that I built 2-3 years ago. It had a very early 2.0 engine in it. I even have the box around here somewhere.

B
2teeners
actually, I had studied that page earlier and not knowing if i had a permatune cd, came away thinking it wouldn't work. the line beneath says specifically "6 cyl. except marelli". But great, if it will work i'll get it.

If this stuffs available, why does everyone ditch the marelli for a bosch?
Brad Roberts
This is where Crane "thinks" they all came with Permatunes. They Permatunes are EXACT cheaper replacements for the Bosch CD box. The actually do nothing different from the Bosch CD box.

Correct. The line below it... has a different part number.

People have a tendency to follow like sheep when it comes to car building. They go to Bosch because... "my friend did it" They dont look around for other alternatives before ditching something they have that may work.

I agree that the Crane setup is not the best looking stuff in the world... but Crane has been around a lot longer than some other companies... so I have to think they have some kind of quality control.

The other thing I liked about Crane... you can buy spare parts seperately and not have to buy complete kits to "get what you need".

This is the 4cyl setup:
Brad Roberts
Here you go:

http://www.cranecams.com/ignition/appsm.htm#Marelli

B
2teeners
I've the cranes since they were allison on a variety of cars, and never been unhappy. I don't mind the setup a bit, except for making sure the wires don't crimp with the vacuum advance. I never have to open the distributor anyway because they work so well, and IMHO remove the worry about worn dist. shafts.

I've been sold on em since the first time I put a timing light on the car and it hit exactly the same spot every fire. I loved it>
Brad Roberts
I forgot all about Allison. I thought they (Crane) had bought out some other company.

I'll order one this week and do the install on a 2.0 Marrelli dizzy.

B
mskala
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 24 2003, 01:19 AM)

That's a 'meatier' link.

Notice that the 6-cyl version only works with the
'bottom advance', and the 914-6 version of marelli
is the 'tall cap' or top advance. But I'm sure with
some messing things can always be made to fit.
Like you were saying, these distributors are not
hugely different in size than bosch.

2teeners: you don't have a vacuum advance, I hope
you knew that.

Mark S.
'70 914-6
2teeners
yeah, I know i don't have vacuum advance. The phrase just slipped out of my flying fingers and I didn't catch it. :cursor: sad.gif
Brad Roberts
The MSD billet dizzy I installed today had top advance and a very similar setup to the Crane. I dont recall much effort in getting it to work last time. I'll let you know.

B
Dave_Darling
Psst! B! Suggestion--

Do the setup work, then have Mueller fab up a bracket that lets you bolt the thing in. It won't make you much, but it's a little bit, and it'll keep Mueller from breaking anything else on his car for a few hours.... wink.gif

--DD
Brad Roberts
Best damn advice this week D. LOL

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.