Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another SPUNONE spun wonder....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
Our man Paul aka spunone is one awesome dude. the guy is an artist.... and a wicked friend.

check out these babies!!

3" tall, 3.75" Big OD and 44mm ID.

paul. you outdid yourself.

thanks buddy! boldblue.gif

4 total. will look great siamesed together on my webers. but thats another thread LOL

So.Cal.914
Nice. How are they mounted? smoke.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 18 2006, 05:39 PM) *

Nice. How are they mounted? smoke.gif

tig'd on to some base plates i havent had cut yet.....
KaptKaos
Those are nice!!
Hoss
Yep, saw the fixture that Paul used in person today when I picked up the stainless steel fuel lines racerchris set out here.

Looks great, and Paul is another terrific teener owner that I am pleased to know through the non-club.
cha914
OOO...nice...are these available for purchase? I have been itching for another reason to weld some alum recently, and my pair of 44 webers would love these welder.gif

Great job regardless, can't wait to see the finished product.

Tony
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(cha914 @ May 18 2006, 07:16 PM) *

OOO...nice...are these available for purchase? I have been itching for another reason to weld some alum recently, and my pair of 44 webers would love these welder.gif

Great job regardless, can't wait to see the finished product.

Tony

motor needs 6" tall filters for these stacks.....

which is being less than fun with tall manifolds smile.gif
MattR
Awesome craftsmanship, but I still dont see why there is a benefit of having the ends shaped like that. The 29.4mm restrictors on GT3RSR motors dont have the flip at the end. Does anyone have an answer?
michel richard
'Cause it looks good ?

(Hey, it is a valid reason)

QUOTE(MattR @ May 18 2006, 11:08 PM) *

Awesome craftsmanship, but I still dont see why there is a benefit of having the ends shaped like that. The 29.4mm restrictors on GT3RSR motors dont have the flip at the end. Does anyone have an answer?

spunone
No Prob A_Ron . Matt I've heard it has something to do with smoother Air flow no edge to cause turbulance .I've made both think of air as water will it flow over a smooth smooth rock better than a sharp rock ?? Wax on Wax off chairfall.gif at least thats what me be hearing
rhodyguy
those look slick. will they fit side by side on top of the carbs or will you have to notch the edges? too bad no one will see them with the filters on. i guess you could make up clear plastic filter tops.

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 19 2006, 08:41 AM) *

those look slick. will they fit side by side on top of the carbs or will you have to notch the edges? too bad no one will see them with the filters on. i guess you could make up clear plastic filter tops.

k

i believe i wiill have to siamese them, or notch em to sit next to each other....
im prettu sure the Center to center bore space is 90mm.... and these are 3.75" OD at the top....

90mm is 3 35/64" so each will have a small notch....
LOL on the clear tops..... theyd be covered in fuel mist from reversion instantaneously
rhodyguy
is your engine reassembled yet?

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 19 2006, 08:47 AM) *

is your engine reassembled yet?

k

hasnt come apart. havent even finished up from when we called you. once its togther, we can see if its rings...... hope so.

AA
spunone
AC you prob can just sand One stacks edge and the other will nest in it .Just an Idear smash.gif
Jake Raby
spunone,
I need some more goodies from ya...

I'd like to dyno this stack design too!
spunone
Just send me your list and we'll start to party on them
Jake Raby
I'm hitting the road tomorrow for my 3000 mile R&D trip with the Hot VWs project engine installed in my test car.... we'll talk when I get back...
MattR
QUOTE(spunone @ May 19 2006, 06:29 AM) *

No Prob A_Ron . Matt I've heard it has something to do with smoother Air flow no edge to cause turbulance .I've made both think of air as water will it flow over a smooth smooth rock better than a sharp rock ?? Wax on Wax off chairfall.gif at least thats what me be hearing

Well, two quarters of fluid mechanics have taught me otherwise, but working with new race stuff for the last 8 months has taught me to test everything before passing judgement.

I'd love to get these in CFD. My guess is that there would be a stagnation point where the curl meets the outside of the stack and the air would turbulate and not help anything. But then again, airflow is pretty funky shit. Can you toss out some numbers so I can CAD them up? I'd like to compare my results to jakes.

And what kind of air velocity will these things see?
MattR
Damn, I thought I had COSMOS Flow, but I dont. I'm pretty sure its on campus. I'll give it a try on monday.

I tried it by hand and here are some of my thoughts:

The important quantity now is Reynolds number. Reynolds number is a unitless value that tells us how the air flow will react. Its calculated based on velocity, density, and relative size (Re= velocity times diameter (of a cylinder) divided by kinematic viscosity).

We'll assume the diameter of the object is 5mm (which is the approximation of the curl put on the velocity stack). The kinematic viscosity of air @ 50'C is 1.79x10^-5. I dont know what the air velocity is, but I do know we're solving for a large reynolds number (to see if the air "seperates" at the peak of the radius and creates a turbulent "wake region" at the base).

Re= (V)(.005)/(1.79*10^-5) = 10^5

V would have to be 358 m^2/s, which is a very slow air speed. So I'm comfortable saying there is sufficient Reynolds number to have boundary layer separation at the base of the velocity stack.

Sorry if that was hard to follow.
Aaron Cox
mumbo jumbo asside... (jk matt. )

they will require about an 1/8th inch cut on each to siamese.....

cadded up the base plate flanges today......

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.