Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 Orig. 914 with plaid seats.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
TJB/914
In my travels today I saw this very origianl low milage Silver 1976 914 in the service bay of the Porsche dealer in Lansing, MI. Stopped to look it over and was amazed by the mint original plaid seats. The service mgr. told me they serviced it since new for the original owner. He allowed me to take a few pictures, but would not give me the owners name. It was Vin # 4762903556 & probably a late 1976 model. Dig those plaid seats (black & light silver). I'll post about 4-5 pictures so you get a good look.

Tom
TJB/914
another
TJB/914
another (2)
Pat Garvey
drooley.gif

Wow! What a super nice 914, and a Michigan car! Did you check the mileage - has to be super low, or a fresh resto.
BS Chairman
WOW!!!! my 75 had that same interior but was gone by the time I owned it.
boxstr
That would look much better with black and silver COCO mats. Extremely nice car. Thanks for sharing.
Craig
johannes
Looks very nice.

What would be the plaid color for a sun yellow 1.8 1975 ?

Is the fabric still available somewere ? I would love to let my seats restore this way.
Porsche Rescue
Here's the plaid in a very low mile, original car from Oregon now living in Florida
johannes
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 2 2006, 05:48 AM) *

Here's the plaid in a very low mile, original car from Oregon now living in Florida

drooley.gif I need the same drooley.gif

Do you know if there is a way to find the fabric, a repro fabric ?
Porsche Rescue
I think it is NLA unless you get very lucky. Do a search here. There is at least one thread on sources of plaid material but I don't think anyone has found an exact match.
johannes
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 2 2006, 08:43 AM) *

I think it is NLA unless you get very lucky. Do a search here. There is at least one thread on sources of plaid material but I don't think anyone has found an exact match.

That's so sad ... I googled a few minuts but was only able to find som plaid used in the VW Westfalia Bus ... but the color and template is different sad.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 2 2006, 05:48 AM) *

biggrin.gif
Excuse me...are those plastic seat covers on that car? Has to be a lot of fun in Florida.

Actually, it looks like my dear departed grandmother got her hands on it. She did the same thing with the gorgeous mohair seats on here Ford Sunliner.

barf.gif
Porsche Rescue
The lady who owned the car since new was in her early 70's a couple of years ago when I found the car. I referred the fellow in Florida to the car and he bought it. You see a custom made console with cup holders (black mugs with Porsche crest!) which she had made at no small cost. She had the seat bottoms covered in plastic with zippers on the bottom so they could be removed for shows. The cloth looks like new. I'm told the car now has AC and have no idea what became of the seat covers. Our member who owns the pristine beige 914 (his name escapes me at the moment) knows the buyer and the car.
Pat Garvey
I'm sure there a some people who'd think the plaid inserts are less than aesthetic, but I remember the first of the 75's that I saw with them & thought they were cool. Heck, I was wearing pants & suits just like them then - they were contemporary. Quite frankly, I think they're still cool, add character, & make the car a period piece.

They're no less contemporary or more out of place than the pastel colored paints of the era. Raspberry, Apple Green....remember those? Like 'em
johannes
I find the plaid inserts very nice. They add some fantasy in the all black vinyl environement. They also might help you not to burn your ass when car was stored in the sun biggrin.gif ...

I found this on the net ... http://www.grace-collection.com (the red picture)
Looks very close to the original. I am sure you can find plaid fabric with very close design.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.