Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stupid Q: How to check oil level
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smdubovsky
Stupid question: I dont have a factory users manual and the workshop manual says to "use the procedure in the users manual". So, I dont know how to check the oil level in my "new" /6. The dipstick has 5-6 U bends/dents in it. Which one is full & low? My 911 dipstick is smooth and has a simple one dot and a two dot marking, but the teener doesn't. Im sure I need it warm, running, and level just like the 911...

Thanks!
SMD
Joe Bob
Level ground, running and warm....I use between the lowest mark and the next mark.....too full is not good.
smdubovsky
Damn Mike, thats a seriouslly disturbing sig pic. I used to watch the thundercats when I was a kid...

By 'marks' do you mean bends (out of like 5 of them?)

Thanks (for the info, not the image burned in my brain),
SMD
Joe Bob
Hmmmm, that stick shouldn't be all bent up.....sure you have the right DS?

Anyways....you have almost 12 QUARTS in the system. As long as you can see SOMETHING on the stick when the engine is running, thermostat has opened fully, oil temp is over 180F and you are on level ground you are fine.....

Too much oil in the tank tends to get injested into the intake and then you kill every mosquito for miles around.... ask me how I know.
ein 6er
this is a page from the manual. hope it helps!!
smdubovsky
Thanks guys!

Doug, my dip stick looks just like that (no gay jokes please;) A pic is worth a thousand words (but Mikes pics scare me) The bends threw me off - Im guessing they're there to keep it from rattling. The 911 ones are straight.

Mike, my overflow goes to a catch tank and not the carbs but if the mosquitos get bad again this year I'll keep it in mind...

SMD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.