Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Negative Porsche stripes for a 74
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
scottsilvertt

Hello, I am a new member 914er. I am an old 911 guy turning 914.
I always liked the 914. So I got one to try it out. Also this is the first posting I have ever done anywhere. So here goes.

I am interested in the Negative "porsche" stripes on the side of the cars.
I have always liked those stripes...but then, I was a 5 or 10 yr old kid and thought they were wonderful.

Has anyone ever seen black stripes on black car? Perhaps wouldn't be so showy.
has anyone ever seen any color on a black car?

Are the stripes still approved of these days?
Also, If I get some, I would like to find some that truly look factory or at least dealer. So any leads? A lot of words, I will be shorter next time. Scott Allen

Click to view attachment
blitZ
I've seen them on Ebay often, not sure of the quality. I youi like it, go for it.

Ebay valance decal
TJB/914
Scott Allen, A big welcome to the 914 way of life. I am surprised no one has welcomed you yet.

Negetive or Positive stripes could be used on the 1974 model from my research. I have factory advertisements showing both stripes & we all know the 1974 LE stripes. I would like to hear from the others, what's correct for the 1974 year & is there a correct layout w/installation procedure???????

Tom
BTW Take a look at the strips (my favorite) on the 1976 silver car I posted a picture in the forum (plaid seats) a few down. I believe this is in-correct for the 1976 model. This stripe was used on 1970 to mid 1974 & they were a factory option installed by the dealer.
gregrobbins
Stripes on the silver car are after market ones that you get on eBay. I think the seller is in Malta. I got a set for my '74, but did not install them as they just look to narrow to me.

Jeff Bowlsby has/is the source for LE stripes, yellow and red. Perhaps he has the ability to get them in some of the other dealer offered colors too.
tdgray
My understanding was that sometime in 73 positive stripes were STILL being used. Negative stripes came after that

But since this was a dealer option I guess anyting could be used.

A source for these stripes is our own Mike Z here one the board.

Hope this helps and not confuses.

Edited - because I left the word still out (makes a difference).
VWnDRAG
welcome.png
Scott,
Mine is a 75 and came with “factory” (dealer installed) negative ID stripes.
I believe the “positive” stripes were earlier and the bolder “negative” strips were later. Exact switchover date confused24.gif
I’ve never thought about 'um on a black car before. Obviously, both the stripe and the word -----PORSCHE----- would be glossy. Matte finish negative stipes on a black car could look really cool. Very subtle.
On a black car, the negative stripes might look better. You could always just peel ‘um off later.
With my 75, I missed out on chrome bumpers. I think the bolder stripe helps tie in the big 75-76 bumpers. They had to do somthin’.

Tom
TomL
Do a search on "decals" there are several places that sell them. Also Pelican Parts is featuring a 911 called "Black Beauty II" that has beautiful decals on it. I don't know that much about "correct" for the year but I think those would look really nice on a 914.

Tom
scottsilvertt
Still learning how to do this. You guys have been great.
I love your white 75 and the stripes. In fact a white car I saw, with stripes, started this whole 914 thing with me, on a ocean drive near Monterey....I wanted a white car....even drove 5 hours to pick up a white 76, but everything was bad on the car. owner was not too truthful. In desperation I chose the blace car. It will be good for me to try something different.
I think I will try the black on black....I did see the black beauty on pelican, with silver stripes. Thanks for all you comments. scott
Pat Garvey
Positive stripes were available until '74, then replaced by the better looking(my opinion) negative stripes. Got my original positive stripes for my '72 from the dealer in late '72, but they refused to install them. It was easy - the length of the striping pretty much dictates its position on the car. Same for the negatives. Don't think there was a prescribed mounting instruction.

When the negative stripes came out there were more colors available - don't remember how many. Your black car would be gorgeous with silver stripes in it! I do remeber that they were harder to remove than to install, though a fairly simple task with a hair dryer. Good Luck & welcome to the 914 "non-club"!
simonyak
I bought this '71 a few months ago and decided to replace the old cracked positive stripes. After I got the old ones off and cleaned up I was left with a very faint negative image. Kind of a ghost stripe. I am thinking about leaving it as is. Any opinions? Also, has anyone seen these wheels before? I don't think they are stock.

Thanks
73Phoenix20
Here's a shot of the black negatives on Porsche Silver... these were a later install, and placement was dictated by the length of the stirpes. Still deciding if I like 'em or not!
JeffBowlsby
Actually, the negative stripes were a product of the development of the 914 LE cars, that is why they showed up later in the 1974 model year. Here is a detail from a 1975 accessories catalog which described the available negative stripes, and a photo of the stripes in their package frpo the dealer. Note that no white negative stripes were produced. The stripes shown are yellow, and made by VOA (Volkswagen of America) as an aftermarket accessory for 914s, and sold through the dealers. Some sources state that there was no 914 except the 914 LE cars that came with the stripes installed at the factory, and other knowledgable sources say ALL 914 side stripes were installed at the dealers or by owners, even the 914 LE cars. BTW, the VOA stripes were long enough to be installed all the way into the wheel wells, the length was not so short as to suggest that they should have been installed in a certain position. In fact, there are mounting instructions on the back of the package, but that photo is on my other computer.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(simonyak @ May 21 2006, 05:00 AM) *

I bought this '71 a few months ago and decided to replace the old cracked positive stripes. After I got the old ones off and cleaned up I was left with a very faint negative image. Kind of a ghost stripe. I am thinking about leaving it as is. Any opinions? Also, has anyone seen these wheels before? I don't think they are stock.

Thanks

Wow! I had a set of those wheels back in 73 for my 72! Haven't seen any of them since yours - I like 'em ('scuse me - that was a non-purist statement that I never made).

I've always been partial to the negative stripes & if they were proper for my 72 would slap them on right now! Every car shown on this thread that has them looks great to me!
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(scottsilvertt @ May 18 2006, 10:45 PM) *

Hello, I am a new member 914er. I am an old 911 guy turning 914.
I always liked the 914. So I got one to try it out. Also this is the first posting I have ever done anywhere. So here goes.

I am interested in the Negative "porsche" stripes on the side of the cars.
I have always liked those stripes...but then, I was a 5 or 10 yr old kid and thought they were wonderful.

Has anyone ever seen black stripes on black car? Perhaps wouldn't be so showy.
has anyone ever seen any color on a black car?

Are the stripes still approved of these days?
Also, If I get some, I would like to find some that truly look factory or at least dealer. So any leads? A lot of words, I will be shorter next time. Scott Allen

Click to view attachment

Welcome, from a longtime viewer, but still a new member !

I have seen both the silver and orange negative stripes on the black body. Both were stunning I thought....IF you like the stripe kit. Personally ,when I had the 21 year old paint removed from our Sunflower 74, I chose not to reinstall the black negative stripes, as a personal preference point of view. I just liked the whole yellow thing going on with the black accents on the roof, sails, and rockers, and bumpers doing enough of the blacking out for me.
Do what makes you happy and enjoy the little beauty like it was your best friend/ significant other in all the world you were dressing up to share your good times with.
914werke
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 21 2006, 07:47 PM) *

Actually, the negative stripes were a product of the development of the 914 LE cars, that is why they showed up later in the 1974 model year. Here is a detail from a 1975 accessories catalog which described the available negative stripes, and a photo of the stripes in their package frpo the dealer. Note that no white negative stripes were produced. The stripes shown are yellow, and made by VOA (Volkswagen of America) as an aftermarket accessory for 914s, and sold through the dealers. Some sources state that there was no 914 except the 914 LE cars that came with the stripes installed at the factory, and other knowledgable sources say ALL 914 side stripes were installed at the dealers or by owners, even the 914 LE cars. BTW, the VOA stripes were long enough to be installed all the way into the wheel wells, the length was not so short as to suggest that they should have been installed in a certain position. In fact, there are mounting instructions on the back of the package, but that photo is on my other computer.

Jeff could you post those instructions? smile.gif
Ferg
Silver stripes on a Black car is the way to go biggrin.gif

JeffBowlsby
smile.gif Note that the 'PORSCHE' text is centered between the wheel wells, not on the door.
cupps
Hi, new member here looking for friendly guidance. I am looking to purchase negative side stripes for a 1973 914, where is the best place for accurate decals?
thanks!
cupps
Jazzy
Another bump for this older thread... Does anyone know where to buy these decals?

IPB Image
flat4guy
I would love the negative stripes in a bright green to match my wheels, is that possible by the person on this site?
Rand
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ May 21 2006, 07:10 PM) *

Here's a shot of the black negatives on Porsche Silver... these were a later install, and placement was dictated by the length of the stirpes. Still deciding if I like 'em or not!

Never let vinyl dictate the location. That high is just wrong. Apply where it's right and trim the excess. Oof. I'd rather have it on the rocker panels if it's going to be wrong. Wrong is always wrong. Sometimes something off can be ok and even right.

This is too high, IMHO:

IPB Image
Rand
Then again, I wonder why anyone wants to paint PORSCHE on.

Rand
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 16 2017, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ May 21 2006, 07:10 PM) *

Never let vinyl dictate the location. That high is just wrong. Apply where it's right and trim the excess. Oof. I'd rather have it on the rocker panels if it's going to be wrong. Wrong is always wrong. Sometimes something off can be ok and even right.

This is too high, IMHO:

IPB Image

steuspeed
Placement on my car. Bought it this way. One re-paint, so not original. Not sure if I like it wrapping into the wheel well?
JeffBowlsby
Here are the instructions from the original mfr.:
toolguy
As far as placement goes, here's my LE back in 74. . this is the way it was purchased
with the stripe on the rocker panels.
Ferg
QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 22 2017, 07:26 AM) *

As far as placement goes, here's my LE back in 74. . this is the way it was purchased
with the stripe on the rocker panels.

Did a cone take our your LE airdamn? w00t.gif
racerx9146
I found mine at Partsheaven swap meet many years ago with real porsche part number so where available via dealer at one time

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(flat4guy @ Oct 16 2017, 05:08 PM) *

I would love the negative stripes in a bright green to match my wheels, is that possible by the person on this site?
Cal
Here's my '74 2.0L with positive side strips.

Mueller
I bought some stripes from arcadeforever , you might want to email him since he has not posted in almost 2 years.
DirkDiggler
`72 1.7
Mikey914
Got these in stock and available fro immediate shipping $49.99 a set + shipping
IN the Orange, Yellow (matched LE colors) as well as white, black and silver.
The difference on mine is I have a locator on the vinyl as to where the door gap should be. D for drivers', P for passengers'. Makes it much easier to locate.

https://shop.914rubber.com/LE-Style-Vinyl-D...m?categoryId=-1
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have plenty of all colors in stock including the green We have them made by the original guy who made them for volkswagen of america
912e owner
Hi - thinking of purchasing a copper 1976 - I have stripes o y 912e - Bittersweet with white positive stripes - anyone ever see a copper 914 with positive strikes - what color - and what do you think of black on this car - thanks
Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.