Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny issues!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DerekKim
Hello everyone. I've been enjoying the 914 a little too much I guess hehe. The car isn't going into 1st or reverse. It does after a good long while of playing with it but it's not instant. Is this tranny failure and should I get it rebuilt or? It's a 73 1.7L. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek
Dr Evil
The dogma of tranny:

Check bushings
Check conical screws
Check shifter alignment

What was going on when it happened?
How did it happen, slow, immediate?

If you need a rebuild, shoot me a PM biggrin.gif, however if it is only 1st and reverse you can easily do it yourself with the tranny still in the car.
So.Cal.914
Check clutch adjustment. smoke.gif
Dr Evil
Ah ya, that too biggrin.gif

And your clutch cable.
Also, and it will sound strange, but check your tranny ground strap. If it is shot your clutch cable could act as your ground and become corroded and break. It is not that uncommon to have it break slowly causing some issues similar to yours.
DerekKim
Where's the newbie smily? How do I check these things and do I need to get under the car? I have access to lifts and any tool I need just about. Let me know. I also have a haynes manual and a how to modify and restore your 914 books. Also have a few more questions for you. It was kind of hard to get in after a good while and then it barely kicked in and now it takes a good bit of persuasion to get it in. I guess it was kind of a gradual thing I guess.
So.Cal.914
Tranny strap is at the top of tail piece. Clutch adj. is on passenger side of car

torwards the rear, in front of the axle. Check for fraying where cable goes around

wheel to change direction. It is hard to check the rest of the cable without

removing it first. Worst case,synchro ring can cause difficulty in getting it into gear

but lets think possitive.smoke.gif
Dr Evil
If it was gradual then it may be your clutch adjustment via a streatching cable.

Do a search here fro shift bushings and such and you will find plenty to read, even as of reacently.
Dave_Darling
Also poke around the 914 Tech Aticles section of the Pelican Parts website. Lots of info in there.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.