Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Houston, TX All Porsche Swap Meet July 15
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dlee1967
Yes, back by popular demand of all 914 widows that want their garage spaces back. It is time for another swap meet.

Houston All Porsche Swap Meet

When: Saturday July 15 from 8AM to 1PM
Where: 14325 West Hardy Road, Houston, TX 77060

(map file attached!)

The event will be hosted by David Lee at his primary place of business that is not open on the weekends. This is a midsized parking lot with the addition of gravel parking in the rear of the fabrication shop and a gravel lot next door. There is plenty of room for cars, trailers and cars on trailers. For security purposes the building owner has asked that we not grant entry to the building. This means restrooms will not be available. You will have to travel down the road for a pitstop. There is also very little shade, so bring your Ez Up canopy or at least a hat and sunscreen.

The site is on the North side of Houston, which may make it easier for those who want to travel from Austin or Dallas. All local Porsche clubs and repair shops will be notified of this event.

For any questions please send an email to me at dlee1967@sbcglobal.net. If you get lost on the way, please contact me by cell 281-734-5621.

Heavy rain will cancel the event. We will endure any light sprinkle.....No wimps here.....we have parts to trade!
Aaron Cox
pinned smile.gif
Bigbohr
Itz on the calendar.
That's still a long time though. Anybody up for a breakfast/morning run in Sam Houston Forest or so?
dlee1967
Johan, why don't you organize an outing for June 3rd? My wife has some garden party for the "ladies" and Erin and I are looking for an excuse to cruise. I think there are a few teeners that will brave the highway.

beerchug.gif

QUOTE(Bigbohr @ May 19 2006, 03:50 PM) *

Itz on the calendar.
That's still a long time though. Anybody up for a breakfast/morning run in Sam Houston Forest or so?
Bigbohr
QUOTE(dlee1967 @ May 19 2006, 12:59 PM) *

My wife has some garden party for the "ladies" and Erin and I are looking for an excuse to cruise.

Is this ladies social in the morning or afternoon?
dlee1967
Annes get together is at 2PM, but she will be busy all day. It might be an idea to plan a drive in the morning to arrive "somewhere" in time for lunch and then break after that. I thought about the car museum, but that is better left for later in the season, when people have worked out the gremlins after the winter storage. Maybe a drive to Galveston and park on the Strand? DLee

QUOTE(Bigbohr @ May 19 2006, 04:57 PM) *

My wife has some garden party for the "ladies" and Erin and I are looking for an excuse to cruise.

dlee1967
I can't believe I am helping Hyjack my own thread. .....

QUOTE(dlee1967 @ May 19 2006, 06:48 PM) *

Annes get together is at 2PM, but she will be busy all day. It might be an idea to plan a drive in the morning to arrive "somewhere" in time for lunch and then break after that. I thought about the car museum, but that is better left for later in the season, when people have worked out the gremlins after the winter storage. Maybe a drive to Galveston and park on the Strand? DLee

QUOTE(Bigbohr @ May 19 2006, 04:57 PM) *

Thack
Can I bring 911 items to the swap meet?
dlee1967
Bring all you want.....dibs on a 930 gearbox if you have one....

I changed the post to reflect that this is an All Porsche swap meet. Even 924 will not be turned away....

QUOTE(Thack @ May 19 2006, 08:04 PM) *

Can I bring 911 items to the swap meet?

LowGT
Oooo, I'm game. I won't have parts to sell, but I wouldn't mind picking up a few new ones. smile.gif
spare time toys
If any DFW guys want stuff hauled down or stuff hauled back up here, Im taking my truck with some of my stuff. Im heading out about 4 AM on Sat. beerchug.gif
Red-Beard
And I'll be in Europe that week, coming back in Sunday...

jsharp.gif
LowGT
Anyone plan on bringing a complete 2.0 for sale? I'd even settle for a 1.7 or 1.8 at this point.
Thack
A guy in Houston was selling a 1.7 because he yanked it to put in a 6. It was on ebay. If you can find it I'll hold it for you until you get down here.
sanman
I have a 1.7 I plan on bringing with me
914Sixer
I am planning on comming. I have a trailer load of stuff to bring. A couple of trans, 2 1.7 engines and boxes of odds and ends. Steel 74-up wheels. I moved a lot of this stuff from Baytown 6 yrs ago!
Eddie Williams
My wife is due on that day... so I may... or may not be there.
dlee1967
slap.gif Great feedback so far. The Pelican's have been quiet and I can't get anyone there to make my post on the 914,911 and 944 areas sticky......
Tobra
i miss Texas
spare time toys
IM still going if any one needs stuff hauled down or back upto DFW. It just needs to fit in the back of my truck. beerchug.gif
spare time toys
My 12 year old is riding along and her big concern is "Is there any place close to eat?" Jack in the crack, Mc Yick, Whats in your burger?
dlee1967
Plenty of places about 3 miles away. I can give you a quick sketch map when you are ready to head out for a bite. DLee

QUOTE(spare time toys @ Jun 25 2006, 08:13 AM) *

My 12 year old is riding along and her big concern is "Is there any place close to eat?" Jack in the crack, Mc Yick, Whats in your burger?

jr91472
Hi all,

Unfortunately I cannot make the swap meet, but I was wonder if anyone had interest in a set of 4 8-spoke EMPI's. They are in good shape and includes center caps. The paint is in pretty good shape except that they are gold biggrin.gif

If yes, then I would consider chartering a ride for them with someone (Larry?).

Anyway, just thought I would check. Here is a pic.

spare time toys
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Jun 30 2006, 08:34 AM) *

Hi all,

Unfortunately I cannot make the swap meet, but I was wonder if anyone had interest in a set of 4 8-spoke EMPI's. They are in good shape and includes center caps. The paint is in pretty good shape except that they are gold biggrin.gif

If yes, then I would consider chartering a ride for them with someone (Larry?).

Anyway, just thought I would check. Here is a pic.

PM sent beerchug.gif Any one else?
Brad Roberts
How is this shaping up? Will you have a good turnout?

B
dlee1967
Brad, the interest has been much greater than earlier events. I've just had notification that a rusty 73 2.0L will be on a trailer for bartering and picking. I must say that I am a little disappointed with the interest on the Pelican forums, but what can I do? The local Porsche clubs and larger shops have also posted the notice as I provided flyers for them. It should be a good turnout. DLee

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 5 2006, 03:54 PM) *

How is this shaping up? Will you have a good turnout?

B

darrellburris
I just got a junk 1973 914 parts car. Rusted out, but a few items I will pull off
for use on my 1975. It has a complete engine, trans, etc (I
don't know the condition) The car has the "2.0" emblem on the back.

I will trailer it (along with the title) to the swap meet on July
15th. If nobody needs anything off it, then I will drag it to the
crusher.
spare time toys
I am going to have a bunch of stuff like lenses and such to put on a table where nothing is over $5 I also will have a pair of nice chrome turbo twists and 1"spacers, seats, glass, trim. Who knows what else I will drag out of the shop attic but I dont want to bring it home. So I am open to deals. Look for my red truck and blue shade tent. See You there beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
David,

Is there anything you think "we" can do to help drive people to the event?

B
dlee1967
Brad, could you drive a bus around on the 15th and pick people up like they do for voters in New Orleans? (No flames please, I am from Louisiana, so I can say that!)

Seriously though, the 914Club has as always been a great forum and I could ask for nothing more from the "group". It was the 911 set that I was trying to bring around and we will know next week if anyone brings out taildragger parts.

I see that Darrell has had better success than I have on getting a post about the swap meet set as "sticky" on the Pelican site.

Thanks DLee

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 7 2006, 12:18 PM) *

David,

Is there anything you think "we" can do to help drive people to the event?

B

spare time toys
I just put a photo of the wheels Im bringing in the 911 parts section with the day and time of the meet. Hope that stirs some intrest.
Thack
I have old 911 parts I'm bringing. Aftermarket muffler, engine hood louvre, old seats from a 924, 1977 Le Bra front mask, fitted car dust cover, and a few misc parts like voltage regulators, etc. They were for my 1979 911SC with whale tale.
Brad Roberts
You should ask DaveDarling to help with the Pelican people. He should be able to pull some strings for you.

B
Brian_B
Is anybody bringing 15" phonedials?
Bigbohr
I don't have much to sell but I'll show up anyway. My wife and I cleaned the garage up last week so there is space now for more 914 stuff. Maybe that was not the idea though idea.gif
I got a set of 944T front calipers if someone needs a brake upgrade.
See yall on Sat ...
914Sixer
I will not be able to make it after all. My co-worker has retired and left me to take care of 10,000 phone customers. I am working way too much overtime. Thanks, Mark.
spare time toys
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 7 2006, 01:03 PM) *

You should ask DaveDarling to help with the Pelican people. He should be able to pull some strings for you.

B

I got the info posted with a sticky at the top of the 911 parts page beerchug.gif
Jerry
I have a 1974 914 it is alll there, but needs restoring, I don't think I can bring it, but I can bring a photo. Here is a photo of it. Asking $500 for it
dlee1967
Jerry, I have no more space for cars or I would buy it. Great price. You should be able to move this quickly. If you are going to bring pictures, please take a few of the batter tray area under the rear suspension pickup points and jacking areas on the longs. You might sell it very quickly on Saturday! See you then...
dlee1967
I've had 16 emails today checking to see if the event is still on. IT IS STILL A GO! As a matter of fact, there have been 3 calls from prospective buyers. If you have a car for sale, please bring it or pictures with details.

See you in the morning. David Lee
LowGT

If anyone is going to have a engine for sale, feel free to call me on my cell. 214-995-2370, I'll be at the meet around 8:30am. I'll be looking through all the parts at the meet, but my main reason for going is for a replacement engine.

Thanks,
Dan
jd66921
I just got home from the swap meet. It's a long drive home!

I just wanted to say thank you to David Lee, and all the other partcipants.
We had a ball tearing apart the junk car, and I scored some good parts as well.

I don't know how people who brought their treasures did at this event, but I was
very happy. I got a headlamp switch, a side mirrow (without glass!), some tail
light lenses, etc. All for good to non existent prices!!!

Many thnks to David for organizing this. I hope it will continue!!

Jeff
LowGT
I agree, thanks to everyone who brought parts and David for organizing everything. smilie_pokal.gif

I think I picked up some parts from just about everyone, most of which would have killed me on shipping costs through the classifieds. The teener should be registered and on the road in a few weeks now. burnout.gif
ehick72
Yes!!! It rocked! Kimberly and I really enjoyed meeting all of you and I really hope we do this again.

Eric
dlee1967
Thanks Guys! I think that although the location was a bit hidden, but it worked out well in the end. Some had to make the block and only one member got lost and did not make the show. Damn hot though!

Special thanks to all of the PCA groups, Pelican and 914 Club for posting the event. We are still trying to get to the bottom of why Lone Star Region (my region of which I am a member!) did not post the swap meet.

A number of guys came out of the woodwork again and a few traveled from afar. Rockport, Dallas, Austin, Corpus and Laredo were represented. I don't think that a lot of parts were sold, but a number were traded and given away. These events always allow me to reorganize my stash of bits.

I have to say that the highlight of the event was the black 2.0L that was brought in on a trailer. The owner graciously allowed the attendees to treat it as a "pick-a-part" serve yourself parts car. After the event, I unloaded it with a forklift and put it behind our shop. Today I went back and removed the wheels for a new owner and picked through what was left.

I got: all calipers, side shift trans, 2.0L longblock with corrosion in the intake ports, E-brake handle, lugs, rear glass and lots of hardware. It took me about 2 hours to finish it off. After stripping it I flipped it a few times with the forklift to flatten in out and dropped it in the scrap metal bin. Fun stuff.

The next event I am told will be a scenic drive to a local eatery. Maybe someone else can set it up this time?????

Note: Anne did not drive her car to the event as she got in it on Saturday morning, took the top off, donned her Porsche ballcap, cranked the red V8 and no fire! The @#$%^ GM ignition module in the HEI had crapped out. I always keep a spare in the glove box, but she is not at the level to change that herself. She will attend the next event and I hope that other wives and our female 914 owners will be attending as well.

type47fan
David,

Did anyone take pictures suitable for posting?

Thanks,
dlee1967
I have a bunch, but have to resize them. I didn't think we had a file size limitation anymore, but it seems to be in effect. I will post on Monday. DLee
jd66921
Here are a few pictures I took at the swap meet. I had intended to take more, but
I was having too much fun tearing apart the donor!!

Here is the donor carcass. Note the fine trailer it came in on - 2 2x12's to extend
the motorcycle bed!
Click to view attachment

Here is David and the forklift. It was hard to get underneath it with all the junk
hanging off it.
Click to view attachment

Note the fine exhust system that no one wanted!
Click to view attachment

Thanks much to Darrell, who provided the car. I got a good headlamp switch.
Darrell got two headlamp assemblies, a good rear valance, and someone got
most of an air conditioner!

Jeff
Brad Roberts
David,

thanks for headin this up! Tell us more about the shop space?

B
dlee1967
B, This is my office and one side is a metal fab shop that we use to build onshore oil rigs and the like. Big steel and 14 welding machines. Not great for 914 stuff, but excellent if you want to build a custom trailer on the weekend. The 914 went in the scrap metal dumpster after we finished with it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.