Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Put the 2.0L exhaust on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhcb914
A few weeks ago I swapped my 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers and Bursch glass pack muffler in favor of the stock 2.0L setup. I took the car for a spin and noticed right off that it was running on average 25 degrees hotter head temps than with the old exhaust. I figured that I'll tune it up, adjust the valves, synch the carbs and see how it runs then. Finally got around to that yesterday now that Noah's flood has receded here in NE. The car runs great but head temps are still 25 degrees hotter on average at all speeds. On the highway at about 3500 rpm it used to run about 325 and touch 350 climbing a hill in 5th. Now it seem to run closer to 350 in 5th and raise slightly past when climbing. Now these temps are measured with the super accurate VDO head temp gage smile.gif so I'm not sure if I should worry or not. Other than the hotter head temps the engine runs great!

Should I be concerned about a restriction in the exhaust somewhere? Do these temps seem right?

Thanks
-Rob
Joe Bob
Got the right sheet metal and thermostat connections?
rhcb914
The thermostat didn't look any different so I didn't swap that. I did watch it open as the car warmed up. The 2 lower peices of sheet metal are long gone when I swapped to a side shift tranny. Never had an issue with it running hot before. I think I have an old rusty set that I can put on. I'll give it a shot.
newto914s
Was your old 1.7/1.8 HEs SS?
Also, what muffler do you have on the 2liter HEs now?
I would think that any restriction in flow would cause higher CHTs. So if you had SS HEs going through a Bursch, I would think anything but going to a kerry hunter or tangerine system would be stepping backwards.
I have a 75/76 exhaust barf.gif , and I'm hoping when I backdate my CHTs will come DOWN 25 degrees
Samson
Joe Ricard
You are flowing more iar and probably 2 sizes too small on the air correction
Maybe on the idles go up a size also.
What ya got now?

I had this happen when I went form 2.0L SSI Bursch to Tangerine Phase 9.

one and a half sizes bigger on idle and from 130 to 140 main gas.
lilly4324
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 19 2006, 12:58 PM) *

You are flowing more iar and probably 2 sizes too small on the air correction
Maybe on the idles go up a size also.
What ya got now?

I had this happen when I went form 2.0L SSI Bursch to Tangerine Phase 9.

one and a half sizes bigger on idle and from 130 to 140 main gas.

lilly4324
yea ihvae that problem to. only i have a 1.7 xhaust on my 2.0 is that causing overheating huh
Joe Ricard
Ever try and breath through a straw?
Other things that affect engine heat are timing.
Too lean is always tough to trouble shoot on a carb without some sort of air fuel meter. Got to know what circuit is lean. idle, acceleration or main gas
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.