Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailer hitch for 914 (interest?)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlee1967
A 914 owner approached me about producing a bolt on trailer hitch receiver for his car to help transport his small autocross trailer. I've produced a beta test version that I will run around with for the next few weeks before passing it on to him for testing with a 4 cylinder car. (my cars are all V8s)

The receiver is a bolt on with the only modification necessary is to the lower rear valance. If you are a serious racer you leave the rear valance off for cooling assistance. If you use this on a street car, it is necessary to cut a square out of your valance for the draw bar to pass through.

How many of you would have some interest in this? I am trying to gauge if this should be a regular stock item or just do a short run of about 10.

Feedback requested.

Just to head off one of the comments/questions that I will get......No, the rear of the 914 is not strong enough to take the moment imposed when using a product such as the Miata "tire tail" is used thumb3d.gif . It would be cool it it was.......

I know....I know.....but I am not going to post pictures of this one.....yet.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.......Even the Captn's comments are welcomed. (gotcha.....)
jd66921
I would consider one if these, depending of course on how it works/fits/costs.

Jeff
Andyrew
I also would concider this..

I say a run of about 20 would cover the amount of prospect buyers..

Andrew
gopack
I would be interested to see one as well
Eric_Shea
Not until you're done with the GT front light brackets..

CC# on file biggrin.gif
Joseph Mills
Sounds interesting.

What does the bracket bolt onto?

I have plastic bumpers with no rear valence.

Will you include a trailer also? biggrin.gif

dlee1967
Bolts through bumper mount holes and to rear tranny mount area. Trailers always available...........$$$

QUOTE(Joseph Mills @ May 19 2006, 04:01 PM) *

Sounds interesting.

What does the bracket bolt onto?

I have plastic bumpers with no rear valence.

Will you include a trailer also? biggrin.gif

Eric_Shea
I like the idea as well. I also have glass bumpers and no rear valance. I do have a factory sport muffler hanging out back there though...
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 19 2006, 04:55 PM) *

I like the idea as well. I also have glass bumpers and no rear valance. I do have a factory sport muffler hanging out back there though...

No problem. Just cut a square hole thru the sport muffler like the guys have to do for their rear valance. biggrin.gif

Eric_Shea
Hmmmmmmmmmm idea.gif better flow...
Eric_Shea
I like the Da’Lan BMW hitch idea where it faces downward and everything is hidden under the bumper when not in use.
Joe Owensby
I had a hitch on my 1.7 for many years. I used it to pull a 30 foot long sailplane trailer, about 1300 lbs total weight. It pulled the trailer so well that I had to keep reminding myself that it was back there. The 914 pulled the trailer much easier than my vans did. Of course I had electric brakes on the trailer. I made the hitch from 1/2 inch by 2 inch steel. Bent the main piece so that it would go just below the bumper (cut a slot in the rear valence), over the mufler, and had two bolts through the trunk floor, somewhere near the middle. I then had a U shaped piece that went below the previusly mentioned piece that was sticking out below the bumper. I drilled through the bumper and bolted it through into the inside of the trunk (with a reinforcement bar going along the inside of the rear of the trunk. Not in the best inerest of keeping the car pristine, but it was a perfect way to stucturaly tie the hitch to the car, which was my main need at that time. As I get my car restored, I may reinstall it with a receiver end, to use with a bracket that I envision to use to carry two kayaks. Plan to have a front portion of the carrier bolted onto the rear roof bar, similar to the bike racks I have seen recently. Then support the rear of the kayaks almost horozontally via the trailer hitch type location. But, first things first, Back to welding in floorpans, etc. Joe O
Air_Cooled_Nut
I have a Da’Lan on my Jetta. Those are better hidden than the "Hidden Hitch" which, BTW, isn't really hidden in all the units I've seen.
So.Cal.914
That's a lot of abuse on the flywheel, clutch, trans and cv's.

Observation. smoke.gif
JPB
I think its a great idea for anyone with a converted 914 which can handle the abuse of the extra load on the drive. It would also work on those stock cars if the trailer and load would be kept to a minimum. If all of you like the idea, then I might design an extra light 914 trailer to pull misc. stuff around. Let me know if the idea sticks and email me if interested.

rocking nana.gif I aprove on the retrohitch/trailer deal!
hcdmueller
Sounds great. Would it work the same on a 76. I don't really know how much of a difference there is between the older and newer setup. I would like to get one for the race bike.
Demick
Since this is a light duty application, you might also consider making the receiver a flat-bar style to minimize the size (or even have it hang below the rear valence).

ChrisFoley
hijacked.gif
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ May 19 2006, 06:49 PM) *

I had a hitch on my 1.7 for many years. I used it to pull a 30 foot long sailplane trailer,

What kind of glider did you have? My dad was a Schemp-Hirt (sp) dealer when I was a kid. He owned a SHK and then a standard Cirrus.
GaroldShaffer
biggrin.gifClick to view attachment what hitch???
GaroldShaffer
happy11.gif
GaroldShaffer
I didn't do the welding work, 914ltd (aka Brad Mayeur) shop did it. Having a trailer to carry all my AX crap is great. Quick and easy, takes 2 min to hook up and go. Remember you should have a place for safety chains to hook to also. Looking forward to seeing your setup.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Garold: I really like the Black strips on the rear trunk. When did you do that?
Dave slap.gif
GaroldShaffer
hijacked.gif
QUOTE(BarberDave @ May 20 2006, 02:16 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif
Garold: I really like the Black strips on the rear trunk. When did you do that?
Dave slap.gif

Over the winter, just some black vynil

Click to view attachment

This is the look I was going for. piratenanner.gif
yarin
Any update on this?

Did you produce a few of them?

Thanks
DBCooper
He has them for sale at http://www.rennenmetal.com/. They're the "tow bara brackets" that bolt on to your car, then you use a cheap $50 tow bar used for VW's, available at any of the VW shops or web sites. They work great, best (cheapest, easiest, quickest, simplest) way I've found to pull the thing around.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Paul Illick @ Feb 21 2007, 02:08 PM) *

He has them for sale at http://www.rennenmetal.com/. They're the "tow bara brackets" that bolt on to your car, then you use a cheap $50 tow bar used for VW's, available at any of the VW shops or web sites. They work great, best (cheapest, easiest, quickest, simplest) way I've found to pull the thing around.

thats how you tow the CAR....

these guys want to tow a trailer with the 914
r_towle
That is for towing the 914.
This topic is about a Tow Hitch for a 914 to tow a trailer.

Rich
DBCooper
Doh!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.