Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor driveshaft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trojanhorsepower
I am new to 914s and BBS, so please be patient. I am trying to assemble a '74 2.0 that I bought (like any fool-hearty lad) in boxes (car and motor). The books speak of a single shim between the Dist. driveshaft and the case. I don't seem to have this part and have not seen anything about this on the BBS. Any info on where to get the part or how to figure which shim I need with the halves headbang.gif together (already done when I got the car) will be much appreciated. Sorry if this info is already posted. If it is please just direct me to the postings and I will shut up and read (some more).

-Peter
porsche735
There is no shim. There is the clamp that goes around the shaft and gets bolted to the case. If you have that (it is probably attached to your distributor already) you are fine...

Chris
Bleyseng
There is a shim like washer that goes in before the dizzy drive is inserted. This shim or washer acts as a bearing surface for the dizzy drive shaft. This drive shaft is weird looking with the odd slot cut into the face. The dizzy is then slid into the case and the dizzy drive gear fits into the slot.

The shim or washer is small and you should be able to see one in the manual.

Geoff
RustyWa
The shim goes in just before the distributer? Hmm, I don't remember seeing one. I'll have to go take a look since my distributer is still out.

What problems can this cause if there is not one?
Bleyseng
It is at the base of the dizzy drive not the dizzy. It is a spacer so the dizzy drive doesnt ride against the soft case. It is not betweenthe two.

Geoff
porsche735
Here is a picture of the distributor. Maybe you can point to it. Are you saying the shim is in the engine or on the distributor?

Chris
porsche735
I think you mean the one that is installed at the base of the distrubutor before the drive (male) is installed. Not really at the base of the dizzy, it is part of the dizzy assembly between the dizzy case and the dizzy drive shaft. It is just the bearing surface. This is not removed unless you dismantle your distributor by knocking out the drift pin in the drive.... Peter, I doubt you did this. Don't worry about it....

Chris
Dave_Darling
The picture only shows the distributor--not the distributor drive shaft. That is a separate piece that slides down inside the bore in the case. There is the washer (already described) that goes into the hole first. I goop up the washer with some assembly lube paste, then hook it over a coat hanger. Then I poke the coat hanger down the bore, and slide the washer down it to the end. You can use a long screwdriver--probably a better idea, frankly.

The lube is to keep the washer in place while you pull the coat hanger or screwdriver out. The bore is open at the upper-left side, and the washer can fall out into the sump... Not a happy thing; I know people who have had to shake their motor around until they could get the washer to fall out.... Ugh!!!

If you don't use the washer, the driveshaft will act as a small lathe and cut the bottom of the bore apart. Which ruins the case, and causes all kinds of weird engine problems!! I think someone on the Shoptalk Forums posted pics of the results a year ago or so.

--DD
trojanhorsepower
Thanks for all the good input. Is there only one size for this shim or are you supposed to use a feeler gage to determine the thickness needed? If I need to measure to determine the thickness, can this be done with the case assembled or do I need to separate the halves? I know that this part is not there (I looked down inside the case), but if I don't have one in the box of parts where might I go to find one? I could not find it at AA or Pelican. If the exact thickness is not important will any this.

Thanks again

-Peter
porsche735
Just to be clear, you are talking about item 11 in this picture:
Porsche Rescue
Dave, I think Cary from Montana (posts on Pelican mostly) showed us a case with a big hole in it about a year ago. I believe he attributed the failure to a missing shim/bearing under the dist. drive.
trojanhorsepower
Chris,
That is correct. Part #11. Like I said I bought this thing in boxes and I don't see anything that looks like it should go there. I think it is best to install this bit while the case is apart, but I got the motor with the case assemble and would like to avoid disassembling it if possible.

Thanks
-Peter
Bleyseng
Nah, you put it in when you install the dizzy cuz if you turn the motor upside down the those two pieces fall out on the floor.

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.