Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump, One more time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Removed battery, cleaned engine (power washer), replaced all and now fuel pump does not run. Went through the standard checks, and all seems well, but no power delivered to pump. Put in new wires to pump and attached to battery to check. Pump runs fine, but concerned that ground wire does not need to be connected for pump to run. According to trouble shooter, pump should only ground for 1.5 seconds or so when ignition turned on. What the hell did I do wrong. About to have the beastie towed to Porsche, but that's admitting defeat. Stock 2.0 FI. Anyone make house calls?
porsche735
Did you leave off the 4 pin connector at the relay board? Have you swapped your relays on the relay board?

Chris
Howard
Chris, 4pin is connected and relays have been swapped
JFJ914
Try:Brad Anders Troubleshooting Flowcharts
Brad Roberts
The pump gets it ground from the bundle of brown wires on the drivers side firewall near the relay board.

Take the fuel pump fuse out and clean it on both ends and clean the holder (with a small wire brush)

Work backwards from the pump in electrical testing. Pull the cover off the 14 pin connector on the FRONT of the relay board and locate the fuel pump wire (stock one.. not the one you added) Plug everything back in like it was stock. Look up the fuel pump wire color in the Haynes manuel (I think its black with a red stripe) and put power to the small pin used for that wire. Now you will determine whether or not the wire and connector to the fuel pump are working. Keep working backwards towards the fuse and relay. If the fuse is blwon.. the wire for the AAR is touching to ground somewhere.

B
Howard
Thanks John. I had already downloaded the chart and went through it one more time last night. Cleaned all the contacts and plugs on the relay board more carefully, and it started on the first kick.

Brad, I am running it off the new wiring, so pump just stays on when ignition is hot, not just the 1 or 2 seconds it should. Will trace that back tonight.

And again, this is the greatest group. Answers to all my Porsche questions come in a flash. Will post my other problems (hitch in golf swing, bad tooth, kids getting a divorce, male pattern baldness) and expect the same quality responses.
Brad Roberts
Correct. I want you to find the problem and pull your "band-aid" off the car. There is NO reason why anyone should be adding wires to their car. Fix what you have.. not skip it. You will learn a lot more about the car by fixing it correctly than you will by adding wires to it.

I want that 1-2 second prime to work...

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.