Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine drop tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
Since my daily driver has a blown motor, I decided to use the 1.8 that is a car I am restoring. The engine needed to come out anyway. I really don't like using the floor jack. It seems the height isn't enough and is kinda tippy. It also isn't long enough to reach under the car properly. I decided to make a lifting device. Since the center point is somewhat under the trunk, I made an offset affair using a load leveler I got at HF. This is made from pieces in the scrap box so it does look a little sloppy. I will need to make some improvements before the next drop but it did work real nice. The only problems I had were the usual stuff like engine tin hanging etc. Once I got the motor down a little, I installed 2 rollers on the engine bar. This made for an easy pull from under the car.

Mark

Click to view attachment
Just before lowering

Click to view attachment
Engine mounting detail

Click to view attachment
Engine is hanging

Click to view attachment
Wheel used to roll out from out from under car
Joe Owensby
That is very clever. I had thought of trying to use an engine lift with something similar, although I was not as clever as you are. Yours looks nice.

Instead, I found the technique on Pelican, and I have recently removed two engines using tat technique on Pelican where a furniture dolly from home Depot is placed under the car. Then, take the rear wheels off, and with a floor jack on each side, just lower the entire car until the engine is about 1/8 inch above the furniture dolly. (I had a short 2 x 4 on one end of the engine transmission assembly). Remove the 4 bolts holding the engine in, and it is gently lowered onto the dolly. Jack up the car and roll the engine out. Cost is about $15.00 for the dolly. I haven't put an engine back in yet, but this looks to be easy.

thanks for sharing your invention. Joe O
GaroldShaffer
clap56.gif nice setup Mark.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.