Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I must be crazy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedster07
I'm new here, unsure.gif ( long time reader First time writer) and I've had the privilege to speak with Brad, bootyshake.gif he really knows his shit.
I've been looking for a long time for a 914, and finally I think I have found one, its in SanFran, I’m in Indy (Race Land) smilie_flagge24.gif . Here’s the fun part for me. I'm flying into SanFran On Friday 9.26 checking out the 74 2.0 hopefully taking it over to Brad's for an inspection, hang out hit the breakfast gig, chowtime.gif than off to LA to check out an other 914 & to meet some people I've spoke with from here at 914Club, then it's off in a car I know nothing about it's history to Indy, I just bought a AAA membership hoping that will ward off any gremlins. pray.gif
So maybe I'll go through Vegas to Renegade Hybrids than to Dallas to check out a 73 2.0 and Family than it's off again to Indy. Or maybe I'll just go right thru the Rocky Mountains of Colorado catch a fresh brew in St Louis beerchug.gif and be back in Indy after bonding with my new buddy a (74 2.0) Now with over 2200-2600 miles & 40 + hrs of driving time MDB2.gif "Uhhh bonding time" in car I now know lots about. With any luck it will be all good. mueba.gif
I hope the radio works
I love Lessening to the motor, I'm just afraid that sweet sound will put me to sleep

Or I'll break down in the dessert where there are no Cell towers and a big ole dessert bug will have my dried up carcass to lay eggs in. barf.gif
Either way this is going to be one Hell of an adventure. dance.gif

If your going to the Fall Foliage Run in Nashville, Indiana and you see a Yellow 74 with Cali plates you'll know I made it wavey.gif
If I'm not there headbang.gif It's because I'm feeding the little bug babies in the Dessert. Yack.gif w00t.gif icon8.gif
Unless of course Brad beer.gif talks me out of it. fighting19.gif
If you have any suggestions, idea.gif well you know..... chatsmiley.gif
If I make it, I'll tell you all about it. smilie_pokal.gif
I hope this has amused you, as much as it will me.

"Speedster07" Craig
Mueller
Sh!t !!!!

I saw your avatar and thought you had bought Ernies 914/6 ohmy.gif

Sounds like a busy plan !!!!!
seanery
Take many cell #'s with you. Another piece of advice that is given is to buy craftsman mechanics kit when you buy the car, put it in the trunk and hope you won't need it. Return it when you get back here. I've got a couple spare alt belts if you wanna take some with you. Take a spare set of points, too.

What am I missing, oh a hat if'n you have the thinning hair thing.
TheCabinetmaker
That's no a road trip. That's an adventure in time! If the dessert bugs get you, at least they won't get the 914. I suggest the mid south route this time of year(vegas,flagstaff, albequerque...) Colorado mountians are unpredictable in the fall, and point ingitions are not high altitude friendly. Ask me how I know. Carry an extra set of points and a dwell meter and know how to use it.

I'll cover you in eastern Okahoma if you come this way. My cell is ###_###_####. Opps, better pm me for that.LOL

Best of luck, Curt
KaptKaos
World record for the most number of smilies in a single post.

If you get to LA, you can buzz me too. PM for the contact info.

Good luck.

- Joe
rick 918-S
Glad to here yor making the leap. I think we've traded email in the past on another subject. The best thing you can do is have Brad look the car over if your driving distance to his shop. Sounds like a great adventure. My suggestion would be to bring a friend. Nothing like good company on a road trip. I'd join you if I wasn't traveling East. I love road trips. I've been to California 4 times in three years and I've yet to meet any of the guys here. (poor planning, bad timing) Have the time of your life. aktion035.gif driving.gif
ThinAir
If you come across I-40, through Flagstaff, pm me for contact info.
JeffBowlsby
Hey Craig...what a trip!

Which yellow car is it, can you post a link to the ad?

Be sure to make the 9:14 breakfast...its in Santa Clara about 60 miles south of San Francisco...I am sure everyone will want to meet you.

We often have 914 owners from far away..., they drive 1-2-3 hours sometimes...each way. If you make it...you will set the new standard!
Brad Roberts
Craig is standing a 99% chance the car already has Pertronix in it. HPH serviced the car for most of its life.

B
Speedster07
Thanks everyone it's 4:30am and I'm off the the airport, MDB2.gif Brad I'll see you soon. beerchug.gif
Off to Craig's great adventure smilie_pokal.gif

I like these little smilie's, bet ya couldn't tell rolleyes.gif
Craig
fiid
Bring a boom box and buy an inverter.

That way you will have tunes no-matter what. You need tunes for a trip like that.

Fiid.
maf914
Craig,

Good luck with the car and return trip. You mentioned 40+ hours driving and that made me think of the Cannonball coast to coast (NY to LA?) time of 36 hours (I think) set by Dan Gurney and co-driver (Brock Yates?) in a Ferrari Daytona written about in an old Car & Driver magazine. That was a long time ago, as you can tell from the mental lapses in my story!

Anbody know of any other fast coast to coast ET's?

I think the longest time I've spent behind the wheel by myself was 15 hours, with stops, driving from Savannah to Philadelphia. This should have been about 11 hours but that snowstorm slowed things up a bit!

Mike
Brad Roberts
I do the SF to Dallas drive in 26 hours non-stop. I'm worthless when I arrive for a day or so..

B
fiid
I'd like to do the cannonball run one day. That would be extremly cool. We should set it up as a 914 event - or do it on 914 or something.

Brock Yates wrote about his cannonball run adventures in a relatively recent Car and Driver.... I think I threw them all away recently though, so I don't have it.

Fiid.
GWN7
When crossing the mountains, use I70. There is less traffic and less chance of you getting to the top of a mountain and finding black ice waiting for you. (been there done that).

Enjoy the trip and take lots of pictures smile.gif
shoguneagle
You have a fighting chance of getting home without any trouble. The car, the car history, the route, etc. All you have to do is drive. The guys and gals of this web site will get you home. You have eveything going for you. You might as well be rocking in "Grandma's Rocker". Have fun and follow all the suggestions given.

Maybe when I am sixty I will do the same as what you are doing. Oh!!! I am sixty-one better get making plans for such a trip.

Have fun and enjoy.

Steve Hurt
Jeff Bonanno
last cross country was the move to san diego in december 2002. leisurely at 4 driving days - yeah sure, with me, the wife, and three 100# dogs in a mazda protege.
Curvie Roadlover
I think this trip is ill advised. Only a crazy fool would fly all the way to SF from the midwest just to buy a 914 and drive it back. You should have your head examined.......Oh wait.......... that's exactly what I did about a year ago. Had a great time. I'd do it again in a minute! Also, take I-40 across the mountains this time of year to avoid possible ice and snow as was advised in an earlier post..
Good luck,
See you in Nashville IN in a couple of weeks,
Tom driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.