Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: May be moving to GA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Always Looking
I may be moving to outside of Atlanta, GA (pending a successful visit this weekend). I estimate shipping my teener to be $1000. I have $3K into it now, but it's probably only worth $3K. I hate to move it if I could sell and re-buy, and I may be able to get $4K here and be ahead of the game.

The car: stock 1.7 1972; bilsteins; 100# springs; sebring exhaust; new tires (but on riverias); some rust issues (lower windshield and PO repaired hellhole); new calipers; new alpine with infinities and 300 watt amp; primer (but not ready for paint); 4th gear not engaging; new shift bushings; side shift; interior ok (torn driver seat and one crack in dash); hood bad; no sway bar(s); starts immediately and runs fine.

any opinions? confused24.gif

driving.gif
mightyohm
You are never going to find a 914 in GA that is anywhere near as nice as something in CA. So you will end up importing a car no matter what you do...
Andyrew
I agree.

Is it drivable? Drive it?

Do you have a vehicle that can tow?

Buy a trailer?

Buy a trailer hitch/ DLee's tow system?

The above 2 are investments. 1k to buy a trailer, or 200 to buy a tow system you will use numerous times over.

Always Looking
I have a 2000 Explorer with the hitch, what is a Dlee's tow system (gotalink?) Any idea how much extra gas would be invoved? I could drive it, but am not 100% comfortable taking it on the road 2500 miles. Also, we may be getting a moving van so we could tow behing that, but again, extra gas?

thanks for the advice though.
campbellcj
I agree with the keep it (drive or tow) plan.

If you like the car and know its good and bad points already, and especially if you have put some time and money into it, you would most likely be setting yourself back by starting over.

If you are concerned about the cost to move the car and don't want to drive it, one option is to rent a 1-way trailer from UHaul or whatever. I don't think I'd try to 2-wheel dolly or flat-tow a car that distance but I'm sure some guys have done it successfully.
blitZ
Definitely keep your car. I live in the Atlanta area and shopped for a 914 for several months, there are not many solid bodies here for a reasonable price. I actually bought a car out west and shipped it here cheaper than buying a comporable car locally.

David Lee's tow bar is very solid. I have one and Leo Imperial, a notaclub member towed his teener to NJ recently behind a VW bus using the bar. A moving van will have no trouble towing your car and should have little effect on fuel consumption.

Welcome to the area, look forward to meeting you.

Did anyone say: KEEP THE CAR! thumb3d.gif
obscurity
Just to reiterate Keep The Car. Its hard enough to find one for sale here. Finding a rust free one is the holy grail

Where in Atlanta are you looking to move?
Always Looking
QUOTE(obscurity @ May 20 2006, 05:53 AM) *

Just to reiterate Keep The Car. Its hard enough to find one for sale here. Finding a rust free one is the holy grail

OK, so it sounds like you suggest keeping the car biggrin.gif

We are thinking of moving to Woodstock, but i have to find a job first. I have a sister there and we looked at some homes last week. They are incredible. For $250k, you get a house that would be 2 million here. - I saw a "funny" sign advertising condo's on the side of the 5 yesterday "executive family living from the low 1 millions." sheeplove.gif

obscurity
QUOTE(Always Looking @ May 31 2006, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(obscurity @ May 20 2006, 05:53 AM) *

OK, so it sounds like you suggest keeping the car biggrin.gif

We are thinking of moving to Woodstock, but i have to find a job first. I have a sister there and we looked at some homes last week. They are incredible. For $250k, you get a house that would be 2 million here. - I saw a "funny" sign advertising condo's on the side of the 5 yesterday "executive family living from the low 1 millions." sheeplove.gif

In woodstock $250,000 will get you quite a bit of house but the drive into Atlanta is a killer.
STL914
Depending on the line of work you're in and the job you find, perhaps you can deal with you new employer to pay for the transport of your car. Friend of mine from St. Louis landed a job with master Card (?) in Atlanta and they footed the bill to move his 911.
cbenitah
Hi Dan,.
Sorry to hear that you are moving but I'm happy for you.. I still have something I'd like to give you but its still a few months away.. I think you know what I mean.. GA should be happy to get you, thanks for everything you helped me with!
Always Looking
Thanks for the kind words Cris. It looks like the move might be a little ways off - job search may take some time.

BTW - anyone want to rent a 3 bedroom in OC with detached garage for $2300?

STL914 - good Idea, I'll try to negotiate for that [having the employer pay for the move].

Dan beer3.gif
nycchef
i searched for 7 mos to find my car. from fla to maine only saw one or two worth while. besides you already know where the demons are in your car. buy a new one and you will have to start all over. you should keep it.
ptravnic
A few years back I towed a car from San Diego to Northern Jersey on a 2 wheel U-Haul Dolly. I had no probs at all.

Good luck
Pat Garvey
agree.gif

Keep it!

Talk to your employer. If he's footing the bill to move your household belongings, have the mover oput the car inside the trailer.

Did this when I had to move from Cincinnati to Philadelphia. Both my 914 & 911 went inside w/no problem. Just adds a few thousand pounds to the weight & not really that much cost increase. Worst case, have the mover put it in & pay the difference yourself.

Not an intentional plug, but Bekins moved my stuff & evrything, including the Porsche came out perfect. Just be certain that YOU load the car in the trailer - then let them protect it. Check with the moving company for how much extra it costs - bet its minimal!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.