Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much is a 2.0L worth....basketcase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Borderline
A local guy here has an ad for a 2.0 totally disassembled. He has had the crank ground and has some bearings. He is including the FI which I don't need. He wants $700. I always thought a basketcase would go super cheap. What is it worth?

Thanks,
Bill
Joe Bob
Not 700 bucks.....let HIM rebuild it and sell the finished product.
Tobra
I know a 2.0 with a new top end that the guy was asking $900. Depending on shape of heads, less than $700
gregrobbins
A good set of 2.0L heads are worth $500, I guess it all depends on how complete the rest of the motor parts collection is. You could sell a complete FI system for $150 to $200 and recover a few bucks.

Add up the sum of the parts and that will help you make up your mind.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ May 20 2006, 07:26 AM) *

A good set of 2.0L heads are worth $500, I guess it all depends on how complete the rest of the motor parts collection is. You could sell a complete FI system for $150 to $200 and recover a few bucks.

Add up the sum of the parts and that will help you make up your mind.

True...assuming the heads are rebuildable. Are you experienced enuff to recognize a good head w/o a tear down?

Don't get me wrong....700 is not a bad price, just don't expect a complete and repairable motor for the price. It's a bag of parts and in the long run you will prolly need more parts or a complete engine where these parts will be used....then you sell the extras.

Is it worth the hassle? Not that "I" haven't done it.....
Borderline
No, I don't really have any experience with a 2.0. The heads are off, obviously, what do I look for to make sure they're gud?
rhodyguy
cracks in the combustion chamber, spark plug area. real 2.0 tin should fetch $100+. rods, what ever the market will bear. the ? to ask is where was the crank cut. mains and/or rod journals? 914 pistons? including flywheel, heat exchangers? you can make quite a bit of the price back with known, good fi pieces.

k
boxstr
I just sold a 75 2.0 w/o FI Condition ??? $300.
CCLINMOTORVATOR
So.Cal.914
Well I look for cracks between the valves first, than in other places. Bring a wire

brush and spend a few min's to clean them up a bit first. Than use a thin viscosity

fluid like a solvent, set heads so chambers are up and fill, fill chambers to the top

and let them set for awhile. See if they hold their own water. You can see the fluid

coming out of the ports (intake and exaust) if the valves are bad.

smoke.gif
Borderline
Sounds like there is some value there and with the engine in pieces I can inspect it. I'll see if I can haggle him down some...I wonder if he is a non-club member..I doubt it, he would have posted it here.

Thanks for all the help,
Bill
Joe Bob
Cracks in the heads or dropped valve seats are NOT a killer in ALL cases. SOME can be saved.....just more rebuilding costs.

Just remember if it was easy...HE would have rebuild it himself.
newto914s
I thought you were talking $700 for the whole car. $700 for just the engine sounds steep to me.
JPB
I just purchased a complete and runnig 2L engine from a club member for 700$. I say if you have a good 1.7L then rebuild that.
Trekkor
I still have my complete running 2.0 at $1500 for sale.
delivery available. wink.gif

KT
Andyrew
I sold a 2.0 bout 2 years ago for 600. And there was a reason I sold it for that much. But it did run, drove it every day till I sold it.

It had ORANGE intake runners.

Just fyi..
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 20 2006, 11:48 AM) *

I sold a 2.0 bout 2 years ago for 600. And there was a reason I sold it for that much. But it did run, drove it every day till I sold it.

It had ORANGE intake runners.

Just fyi..

I sold a running, complete motor from '76 2.0 for $1000.....of course I've also sold a complete (basket case) 2.0 motor for $100

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.