Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swingarm Bushing Removal...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ty914
I have found plenty of info and "how 2's" on removing and replacing the front bushings but have found no info on the rear.

A little info on roller bearings...but need some help on removing the old bushings first. Did a few searches and didn't come up with anything...

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks...T
skline
Burn baby, burn!!!
dlee1967
Scott is not joking! Take the arm outside to a well ventilated area and use a propane torche to ignite the rubber bushing. It will burn easily and when done you will just have some ashes to contend with. Watch those dripping fireballs of rubber. They will make a mess of your driveway or back patio. Put a old cookie sheet under the burning mess to catch these fireballs. After all has cooled, clean up the arm with a Scotch Brite pad and repaint prior to putting in your new bushings.

QUOTE(ty914 @ May 20 2006, 10:49 AM) *

I have found plenty of info and "how 2's" on removing and replacing the front bushings but have found no info on the rear.

A little info on roller bearings...but need some help on removing the old bushings first. Did a few searches and didn't come up with anything...

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks...T

DEC
QUOTE(skline @ May 20 2006, 07:54 AM) *

Burn baby, burn!!!

agree.gif
Eric_Shea
Do you have a press? Did you check the classics threads? There's a rear bushing write up in there...

It's a great reason to buy a $99 HF press. I don't like the burn method but I have a press. I've done hundreds of these.

I do heat the rod first and then press it out. That makes it slice through the bushing like a hot knife in butter. The press pin is roughly the same diameter as the rod and once you push the rod down about 3" you can remove it from the press.

Use a screwdriver to simply pry out the old bushing, turn over the arm, put it back in the press and repeat. Takes about 10 minutes to finish both arms.

The press is also invaluable when installing the new bushings (unless you're going bronze or roller bearing).
Eric_Shea
Classic Thread

Don't groove the bushing the bushing as described. I did it wrong that time and had to replace them. Groove the inside.
mcbain77
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 20 2006, 08:47 AM) *

Classic Thread

Don't groove the bushing the bushing as described. I did it wrong that time and had to replace them. Groove the inside.

Admin,

Please update the Classic Thread to reflect the above statement by Eric. I almost made the same mistake.

smiley_notworthy.gif
Andyrew
Mike Pressed mine out. Worked darn good.
Eric_Shea
Please update the Classic Thread to reflect the above statement by Eric. I almost made the same mistake.

I agree. I have a pic of the right technique if you want to add it. Sorry for the problems. Thanks to Aunt Brant for long ago hipping me to the proper procedure.
dlee1967
Just to clarify.....I do use a press also as I have one in the shop, but not everyone has a press in the garage. So if you don't have access to a press.....Burn Baby Burn.... agree.gif
ty914
Thanks for the help everyone...its good to know I can always turn here for help. I will check out HF and see what they have...and if not I will get the propane out.

T
Mueller
QUOTE(ty914 @ May 20 2006, 12:11 PM) *

Thanks for the help everyone...its good to know I can always turn here for help. I will check out HF and see what they have...and if not I will get the propane out.

T

I've used the burning method once...never again...borderline stupidity to subject oneself to the noxious fumes and smoke screwy.gif

mcbain77
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 20 2006, 10:29 AM) *

I agree. I have a pic of the right technique if you want to add it. Sorry for the problems. Thanks to Aunt Brant for long ago hipping me to the proper procedure.

"Almost" meant when I get around to doing it. No need to apologize. "You bow to no one".

Joe Bob
I used a rotary wire brush on a electric grinder....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.