Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Fluid Reservoir Clamp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
AvalonFal
Was there any kind of gasket or pad between the attaching clamp and the brake fluid reservoir?? When I removed my clamp, there seemed to be remnants of a cloth backing between the clamp and the reservoir. Wasn't much left of it and it pretty much crumbled in my hands.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Avalon,
My original '70/4 has no material whatsoever between the clamp and reservoir. Later cars, others would have to give you feedback.
Pat Garvey
unsure.gif

Sorry for lack of responses lately. Went on vacation when the site went down & just now got back.

My 72 has nothing under the clamp, BUT.....

I seem to recall a piece of black felt between the clamp & reservoir. My parts manual is German & my German sucks (I'm irish after all!), but it looks like a part titled "grammel" shows as something that may have been what you're speaking of. Been so long ago that I worked in this area that I just am not sure. But if it's supposed to be there, I want one!

Anyone else care to impart thier wisdom?
914runnow
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ May 20 2006, 10:48 AM) *

Was there any kind of gasket or pad between the attaching clamp and the brake fluid reservoir?? When I removed my clamp, there seemed to be remnants of a cloth backing between the clamp and the reservoir. Wasn't much left of it and it pretty much crumbled in my hands.

Was active in a sale for a 73 1.7 with 26k on it...
Did not see that..
Although the early straps seemed to be gold zinc then
turn to black paint as latter years came in..
Pat Garvey
confused24.gif
I can almost swear that there was a pieced of black felt-like material between the clamp and reservoir originally on my '72. Abount 10 years ago I had to refinish the clamp because it was corroded & my memory (which no one should trust!) tells me this piece was there. But since it was badly degraded I trashed it. I could be wrong.

By the way, when I refinished the clamp I left it in primer because I couldn't tell what the original color was. Pretty sure it was black, but was it satin, glossy, flat?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.