Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $&%(@! broke my shift linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
Out driving today and all of a sudden 5th gear is where 3rd gear is. Then cant shift at all. Lots of free play, etc . Finally got the car in 3rd and limped home.

Apprears that where linkage exits the firewall the bushing has fallen out. Are these hard to find?

This is a drag as I was hoping to AX tomrrow. mad.gif
Hammy
shift bushings aren't hard to find.
PP has em
spare time toys
Good time to start on that cable shift you have wanted to do.
Trekkor
Bummer. At least it's a quick, easy and cheap fix.

Call Rich on monday morning unless a local will provide one tonight.

Once it's replaced I bet that crunching goes away, too.

KT
Joseph Mills
Bummer. I hate missing an AX for shit like that.

"Lot's of free play, etc." doesn't sound right.

When mine went missing, it didn't shift nearly as bad as you're describing. Could it be possible that you have been missing that for awhile and did not realize it? There could possibly be other issues for the sudden change in shifting.

If you can reach a parts store you'll be okay on the bushing, but I would also check both of the cone screws to be sure they're not loose, as well as your shift rod bolt inside the cockpit.

An easy way to install that bushing is to take a box knife and make a diagonal slice thru it which will allow you to easily "screw" it into the firewall. The shift rod will hold it in place. Got this from an ol'guru.

Hope you make the AX!

grantsfo
Not sure I will make the AX as it is in the morning. I will make the AX in my AWD Mazda.

I had a blast today tearing up mountain roads with supercharged Miata, S2000 and a Boxster. Must have had just a little too much fun - however my sense is that this bushing has been on its way out for a while.

Joe Bob
If one thing is bad....best to check the whole thing....
watsonrx13
Uh oh, do I hear jack stands calling your name?????? unsure.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ May 20 2006, 07:04 PM) *

Uh oh, do I hear jack stands calling your name?????? unsure.gif

As long as I'm gainfully employed I will always spend my way out of jack stand land. I can still drive the car to a shop. biggrin.gif
ppickerell

As long as I'm gainfully employed I will always spend my way out of jack stand land. I can still drive the car to a shop. biggrin.gif
[/quote]

Yea, just be careful about your choice of shop...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.