Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil level gauge and sender for /6 dry sump tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ken914
I want to convert the oil tank on my /6 to include a sender for an oil level gauge like on 911's. It would be much easier to keep a check on the oil level with a guage instead of trying to use the goofy dipstick.

Has anyone done this before? Is there a description of how to do it or maybe even a conversion kit?

Thanks for your help!
Joe Bob
Most of the 911 guys including myself ignore the gauge as it is inaccurate and you never want the tank as full as it says it should be when it does work....

Just my $.02.
Mark Henry
It's real easy...It's called "the goofy dipstick".

Like mike said...never seen one work worth a pinch of rat poop.
Mueller
ditto....

gauge shows fine on my car, dipstick shows 4 qrts low....needless to say, I don't trust the gauge anymore...
Cap'n Krusty
Eye candy. Even worse than the volt meter on the 914 console. The Cap'n
Joe Bob
Naw....the oil temp gauge w/o numbers is more worthless....or maybe the clock....even if it DOES work....
GeorgeRud
Chuck Stoddard from Ohio did one on his 914-6 project, and it was written up in Panorama magazine , available also in the UpFixin series.

It didn't have any more info other than he did it, but I assume it would be no different than that in a 911 oil tank. I do agree that the guage is rarely accurate unless your idling after a long stop on a perfectly level surface. Use the dip stick when you get out to gas up. I usually get out with the engine running, open the front trunk and engine lid, and then check the level before gassing up. It's the most accurate way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.