Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lone Pine Autocross y fiesta!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
caravaned with slits and toast from riverslime to lone pine....

party commenced friday night... and today... allan and howard went at it for the title in BS... (ok... Bstock) lol.

some pics that tonyakavw and i took. the good pics are his tongue.gif

BTW. i left early and came home today due to 50mph wind gusts that threw sand at you.
KaptKaos
Sure is pretty up there. Too bad the weather didn't cooporate.
Aaron Cox
howie... a raced out 02...allan....and together?
Aaron Cox
more tomorrow. time to crash
Trekkor
Did someone sweep that surface? It looks like the tide just went out. Jumpy.gif

Looking foward to more pics smilie_pokal.gif

KT
sixnotfour

Good to see Allan running an autcross.
MattR
They didnt mow the track before you went out?
Allan
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 20 2006, 10:18 PM) *

Did someone sweep that surface? It looks like the tide just went out. Jumpy.gif

KT

Are you kidding? The only sweeping that got done was 45 minutes of parade laps just to try and get some of the debris pushed over and mash down the bushes.

There was one place on the track coming out of a pretty tight right hand turn onto one of the long straights that was just dirt.

Try hitting that at full throttle. ohmy.gif The first time I hit it I thought my clutch was going out.

The only cool part of the track was 2 long straights where you could hit some pretty insane speeds... driving.gif
dekman
Nice pic's Aaron! MORE please. Looks rougher than I thought.... Howard's street car looks funny with numbers on it? Where's the handicapped plate? Could'a run my 4 x 4! beerchug.gif
skline
50 MPH winds and sand? Anyone needing their car sandblasted? Sounds like a great opportunity for some of the guys with project cars. smile.gif
Allan
I didn't take very many pictures but here's what I have...

Allan
blurp
Aaron Cox
yarg matey
Aaron Cox
ahoy thar
Aaron Cox
walk the plank
SLITS
Complaints, complaints, complaints.....whatta a bunch of wussies. Real racers endure the hardships that exist at the track. Yeh, the wind did blow (it never stopped)....yeh, it was a bit chilly....yeh, sand was blowing a bit, but I've seen worse conditions at Willow Springs.

Ok, so I packed it in on Sat nite and went a got a hotel. The lack of water drove me to it....water to wash the dirt off with and a bed without the ample rocks in your backside.

Howard's problem: He had already set out the wine, cheese and caviar on his fold out table in the 996. He drove so slow so as not to spill them as he snacked around the course.

He commented that his most fun was "clearing the track of landmines" the first day. The old ones would go "poof" and disappear. The fresh ones would stick to your Fuchs and wheel wells.

Headrage's problem: About one bottle of Cassadores. He had a hard time remembering where he was or what he was doing.

Arron's problem: Sleeping in the bed of his pickup, gate down, into the wind.

Slits's problem: Pitching a tent amonst the landmines. You had to be careful where you stepped.

Toast's problem: most everything

Joe's problem: He didn't have one.

Linda's problem: Howie throwing shit at her on the track (literally).

This event was actually fun....a true "outlaw race of run what you brung". Perhaps the most entertaining was the "Beater Class". Maximum amount of money spent on car is limited to $350.00. I hope someone got a pic of the "General Lee".

One team put their spark plugs back in an engine that had blown them out with JB weld. It held until late Sat afternoon.

One girl brought a Corsica...and proceeded to thoroughly thrash it. It finally gave up Sat afternoon and was towed back in. Sat nite they threw it a party in it/on it, attemped repairs with sledge hammers and ran into/over it with a 4X4.

I have decided to promote "NARP BEATER - END THE BULLSHIT CHALLENGE". At this event, you can create your own class with one car and 4 drivers. Collectively, for those who are in, we will purchase a beater, make it run reliable (no 914s need apply) and it will be driven by the collective drivers (Ya listening Scott). At the end of Day 1, a champeen will be crowned with full bragging rights for a year of being "The Fastest Man Alive in the NARP BEATER - End The Bullshit Challenge" (Ya payin' attention Scott). He shall have full rights, without recourse, to pronounce all those he beat as "slow as shit" on the board, in get togethers and in the privacy of his/her bathroom (Did ya hear that Scott?).

So, for those of you that wussed out for one reason or 'nuther, you missed some good fun.....ya freakin' pantywaists.

Aaron Cox
yep... sleeping in the back of the truck bed in the wind sucked...

i cant wait for "slits' swallows" pic that howard took LOL

allan, hows your head LOL
Aaron Cox
oh, and im in for the beater challenge smile.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 21 2006, 04:28 PM) *

allan, hows your head LOL

Doing good today buddy... biggrin.gif

Can't wait for Willow on June 12th... driving.gif

This thing they call a/x is addicting...
Trekkor
Get any pictures of me running?

KT
Howard
The weather sucked, too hot or too cold, always windy with grit blowing around.
The track surface was OK, I guess, but I never did get the hang of transitioning from asphalt to grass to cow manure to sand in the same turn. And that was on the proper line. If you deviated, you really got in the bad stuff biggrin.gif
The 'banquet' dinner food was pretty bad (what was in those string beans?)
I'm in for next year piratenanner.gif

But the people were great. I didn't see the midnight race between Allan and Aaron, but it must have been pretty good considering the amount of Caz that was consumed. The beater challenge and rental car class were fun to watch.

Gas powered blender
Howard
Ron looking happy, Aaron hiding his face, and the event chairperson.

Tony took tons of car pix for those of you interestested in that sort of thing.
Howard
Oh, I have your event shirt Allan. Red towel. You or Tony?
Allan
QUOTE(Howard @ May 21 2006, 07:06 PM) *

Red towel. You or Tony?

Thanks for grabbing the shirt.

If it's red it's Tony's...
Aaron Cox
"ron swallows"
IPB Image

howie - did they happen to sell xtra shirts?
Howard
No, but thanks for the $20 smile.gif
Aaron Cox
hah. use it or lose it smile.gif should give it to joe for the food smile.gif

anyway... a couple of pics from the ride out there...

just the three of us for miles on end....
TonyAKAVW
I finally got home at 1 pm today. I left this morning at just before 8 am and right before the Via Princesa offramp of the 14 freeway in Newhall, my truck's ignition decides to crap out on me in a bad way. I managed to coast off the freeeway onto the offramp and about an our later I was on my way back home in the cab of a tow truck. A quick trip to Pep boys and 10 minutes later, the BEATRuck was back in service. (new cap and rotor)

I had a great time over all on this trip. Going up Friday was a lot of slow traffic driving, but I met up with Allan in Mojave and we had a quick bite to eat at Carls Jr. or some place like that. From that point on the drivng was more scenic and adventurous as we passed through the gauntlet of high winds and sandblasting.

Setting up camp in the wind was actually not too bad, toast helped me set up the tent and get stuff staked down.

The party at Neverland (aka Joe's RV) was a lot of fun, even though I was pretty worn out by that point. My friends from the UCSB sports car club (now almost all almuni) came ove and found me. These guys have been doing Lone Pine for quite a number of years now and they obviously knew how to set stuff up and had a nice fire going.

Around 1 am I hear a big deisel engine outside the tent and the sound of Allan saying "HOLY SHIT." So naturally I peak out and the F-crowd had shown up. These guys fit in to the Lone Pine quite poorly. They arrived with a $350,000+ RV/bus towing an enclosed trailer, which we later found out was carrying a race prepped F355 (which never ended up driving on the track). The other vehicle they brought was a prepared 350Z which was actually pretty slow, especially compared to the shifter cart which I beieve took TTOD.

I spent most of Saturday taking pictures. I stood just near the first big turn going into the small straightaway. My skin and eyes were treated to a nice sandblasting. At times it was literally a bit hard to stand up in the wind!! The rest of the day was spent inside Neverland where Joe seemed to be thoroughly enjoying pretty much everything and provided some most excllent Chili which proceeded to put everyone to sleep.

I'm defintiely going back next year, though I will come prepared for the wind and heat and will be driving! The BMW 2002 crowd made a very excellent showing. I'm definitely up for working on a beater class car.

The great part of this event is that everything from a shifter cart, to $350 beaters, to V8 powered Datsuns, to Ferraris show up, everyone is there simply to have a good time, and the elements kick your ass.

Thanks again to Joe for the excellent accomodations, Howard for the shower use, and for everyone else showing up to this event!

-Tony
Toast
Tony.....you forgot to mention how Allan made friends with International Motorsports (Ferrari & Nissan) by calling them "Terrorists" at 2 am in the morning. The rest of the conversation was in several differents languages...none of which anyone understood.

It was really fun watching them start the "F" car, letting it idle for a min or so and then shutting it off. You actually lied....they did drive it....from the pits to tech and back into the trailer.
Howard
Some Videos. Ron and I did these on a still cam video function, so not great quality. Don't knock yourself out if you have dial up.
SLITS
Landmines in the camp:
Click to view attachment

TEAM NARP PREFORMING WAVE
Click to view attachment

Howie's Pit Crew gets serious
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Howard
After a day being bead blasted (Toast's term)

http://www.thehowardagency.com/914/lonepine026.mov

Note to self: new bbs software does not like spaces in links dry.gif
SLITS
Pit Area One
Click to view attachment

The View
Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
i have a few videos of allan and howard running.. sound is horrible.

maybe ill email em to howard to host
JoeSharp
The tilt you see of the motor home in the picture above is from the wind.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Aaron Cox
anyone lose a "chair bag"

i have an extra one in my car. bright blue
JoeSharp
Aaron: Toast.
:PRMAGRIN: Joe
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ May 22 2006, 03:30 PM) *

Aaron: Toast.
:PRMAGRIN: Joe

grooobie....

thanks joe.

and joe,
thanks for an awesome hangout pad, party, and food. you are by far the wildest 914-er there is.

AA you rock!
TonyAKAVW
anyone lose a "chair bag"

i have an extra one in my car. bright blue

Not me. Though next time if you want to start a colelction of random stuff you could set up a huge net at the end of the track. You'd collect all kinds of things. Hats, papers, rear axles, engine blocks, etc. smile.gif

-Tony
SLITS
Yeh Aaron, ya musta thought it was a condom in your size after the 1AM run in the Cassadores 2.7L sixer. Now clean it afore ya gives it back.....Yaaaarrrrrgh!
Allan
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 22 2006, 04:18 PM) *

Cassadores 2.7L sixer.

Hey, ya think if I pay them enough they'll let me put their stickers on my car? smile.gif
SLITS
You already drank enough.....

Joe....save the labels from the Cassadores bottles...we're gonna give the Turk a new paint job. It'll qualify in the "Beater" class next year.
Allan
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 22 2006, 04:33 PM) *

Joe....save the labels from the Cassadores bottles...we're gonna give the Turk a new paint job. It'll qualify in the "Beater" class next year.

av-943.gif

It was fun right? blink.gif

I think I talked enough shit to keep the Ferrari off the track...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 22 2006, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ May 22 2006, 04:33 PM) *

av-943.gif

It was fun right? blink.gif

I think I talked enough shit to keep the Ferrari off the track...

"YA CANT PARK ERE!!! YA TERRORISTS!!!.... CAN A-RON AND I SLEEP WITH YOU GUYS?"

yeah.... you scared em alright.

here you go allan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD8AmNYMZFQ
TonyAKAVW
Here are a ton of pictures from the Santa Barbara crowd...

first

second
SLITS
Nice shots of Howie and ....uhhh...who was that other guy.......Senor Cassadores?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.