914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dinomium
great googley moogley!
Found On Roadway Demented

I love it!
Lou W
blink.gif
dinomium
how is he getting that done for under $2006.00? He must "find" sho running gear!
biggrin.gif
newto914s
Not sure what SHO stands for, but that looks scary aktion035.gif
I was just reading a GRM last week thinking a teener would tear-up in that compatition. With some luck, and a ton of Fab skills, you could build a monter for 2Gs.
Rand
Super
High
Output

I would love to see more details about how the engine connects to the transaxle.
dinomium
QUOTE(Rand @ May 21 2006, 12:07 AM) *

Super
High
Output

I would love to see more details about how the engine connects to the transaxle.

It inferred that he used the whole SHO drivetrain ala SHOgun fiesta...
LowGT
QUOTE(dinomium @ May 21 2006, 01:35 AM) *

great googley moogley!

I love it!

Technically it's a Yamaha. wink.gif
Spoke
Looks like the car is still mid-engined a bit. Turn it around and it becomes a taildragger.

Spoke
MecGen
Fuch Ive been beat to the punch

I have owned my SHO for 12 years before the frame rotted out.. unsure.gif the 3.0l Yamaha is the the all around strongest, economic, reliable motor, IMHO EVER biult.
I was a tech at Ford in those years, and was trained for the Yammees. This makes me biassed. Ive got lots of story's for the Sho.... drunk.gif coin a phrase, all motor.

How serious am I?...Ive got the complete drivetrain/harness/ecm/tuning soft from the Ford, spare intake bought on Ebay for mods to the T/B angle. Last summer I picked up a complete 73 914 for the swap. I am gonna use an Audi trans...I think he is using the coplete front wheel drive powertrain, I had both cars on the lfts (914 and Taurus) side by side and took some measurement. The motor would have to sit soooo far back, and still the axles would have a horrible rake to them. I couldn't see it working, maybe he's found away clap56.gif The CVs and trans are weaker the the motor, in the heavier car, these are a problem area.

I think Skyline is an my side... aktion035.gif

My car should be well on its way this winter
Thanx for spotting the site, I'm gonna watch it.

Later

beerchug.gif
skline
QUOTE(LowGT @ May 21 2006, 12:48 AM) *

QUOTE(dinomium @ May 21 2006, 01:35 AM) *

great googley moogley!

I love it!

Technically it's a Yamaha. wink.gif

Actually, it was a joint venture between Yamaha and Mercury Marine. That engine is able to rev over 10k in a stock Taurus with only a computer mod. I have always thought about doing an SHO engine conversion on a 914 but as you can see, they are a big engine. I just dont see how this guy is going to get the transaxle from the Taurus to work in that car. I bet he has a lot of problems heading his way.
rhodyguy
looking at the tub...i think the cart is way ahead of the horse.

k
grasshopper
I put in a plug for the club. It does look like the tub itself could be a killer... looks like the hell hole is kinda bad..
LvSteveH
It may be able to rev to 10k, but it will shed it's belt driven accessories long before that. I've always liked the SHO motor, but it's a very awkward shape to go in a 914.
Al Meredith
I have a friend here in Georgia that put an SHO engine in an XJ6 Jag. The engine will bolt up to a Ranger PU transmision or an early Aeorstar with a manual. He had the trans modifyed to take a "toploader" linkage. BTW uses a mazda through out brg. Think about the weight difference , Jag iron straight 6 :vs: SHO. I saw this car during fabrication and the Jag springs were completely extended .
anthony
Doesn't it seem like a v8 conversion 914 would do well in the GRM challenge? Would the conversion parts are too expensive?
Demick
A couple of years ago there was a v8 914 in the GRM challenge. Green car. Didn't do so well. He posted here a few times if I remember.

Demick
Eric_Shea
I'm with Frank K agree.gif

I think the SHO motor is one of the best motors I've had the pleasure of owning/driving (got the first 89 in the showroom and then got a 93 auto when they came out). The runner make it a smooth power machine.

I've been waiting to see one of these in a teener. However, there is an adapter that mates it to a 901. That would have been my route.

SERIOUS engine... (they can be had cheap too)

I was the President of the SHOcago chapter and put on one of the last National conventions. Yamaha actually wanted to buy my motor back because I was a rep and I put 150,000 miles on it in 3 years. They were very interested in the internals. We did a valve adjustment at the local dealer with the club in attendance... it didn't need it, the motor was like new inside.

IMHO that waterjacket cooled Yamahauler is virtually indestructable... clutches however confused24.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.