Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anybody tried a Softtop?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dinomium
So I dont know if it is seeing that really nice Orange car with a sunroof or the Vicidan talking, but has anybody ever tried a soft top for our cars? I am thinking like the "fake top" on the Ferrari 575. Just enuff to get you thru a sun shower. OR how about like the Panorama lids on old bugs and transporters? That would kinda rawk.
drunk.gif gawd I need a beer! Having part of your toe bone removed sucks on many MANY levels!
newto914s
Someone does, or did, make a soft top convertion. Wish I could be more help than that, but it is out there as a kit, and not too steap ether. I remember seeing it on Ebay once as well.
good luck
Samson
Rand
I'm with you bro.

Look at the Elise...

Stinks they can't stow the hard top like a 914. But...they have a soft top.... that fits the targa profile and rolls up into a stowablepackage...

I've already been thinking about a soft-top solution that would roll up.... Like you sit at a stoplight and pull the top loose and roll it up and stuff it in the passenger footwell on the spot while you're still in the driver's seat...
dinomium
QUOTE(Rand @ May 20 2006, 11:59 PM) *

I'm with you bro.

Look at the Elise...

Stinks they can't stow the hard top like a 914. But...they have a soft top.... that fits the targa profile and rolls up into a stowablepackage...

I've already been thinking about a soft-top solution that would roll up.... Like you sit at a stoplight and pull the top loose and roll it up and stuff it in the passenger footwell on the spot while you're still in the driver's seat...

Exxxxxxxxsactly! I have driven home wet in my old yellow car when I was young and didnt take the targa with me...

I once made a softtop for a girls Valiant that we cut the roof off. We used canvas and PVC pipe. It worked great for about two weeks, then she went on the Viaduct!
oops!
JPB
I've heard of folks trying to retrofit a Miata rag top frame to a 914. It wouldn't be to difficult to remove the rear rolbar assembly and actually make a functional soft top. I hate to say it but Red Dog has a decent engine hatch cover which would be a good base for your ST framing. Another option is to have a full role cage which would acomodate the general shape of your rag top. If you would take the role bar out, you can then run your role bar frame down the back vertical pipes down into the engine compartment through the small grills adjacent to the original engine hood. The possibilities are endless bro.

welder.gif Crap, I'm building a role cage as we speek and now I wanna do some sawzall-smiley.gif on the back window assembly. Sometimes these topics are evil.
boxstr
I have a soft top conversion for the 914 at CAMP. I don't have a candidate to install the top on as of yet.
I remember a few years back a 914 in the bay area had a"bikini" top that you could see through but was easily removable.
There is a soft top 914 in the pics of the XXX Porsche show in Issaquah that Greenie posted. It is red, there was one very similar to it for bid on ebay a while back. Located in Calif. an older conversion that was a cover feature car for VW car mag.
CCLINTOPLESSINTOWN
dinomium
Now, I am talking about just a soft top option for the targa configuration. No cutting or making it a full droptop, that does not appeal to me. At least not this week.
boxstr
Like I said there was one on a car in the bay area. Andy or Mueller took a pic of it at one of their Sat 914 gatherings a few years ago.
Craig
dinomium
QUOTE(boxstr @ May 21 2006, 09:47 AM) *

Like I said there was one on a car in the bay area. Andy or Mueller took a pic of it at one of their Sat 914 gatherings a few years ago.
Craig

Ahhh
I just got done poking round the camp site and couldn't find it...
jonwatts
tonneau bed cover and snaps teef.gif
jd74914
Do you mean a soft foldable top like 911 Targas have?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.