Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joint axel replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I destroyed my inner CV joint while installing my engine. I figure now is a good time to replace all of the CV joints.

Can I remove the outer CV from the stub axel with the trailing arm on the car?

I really want to avoid replacing the rear wheel bearings again.

BTW these are the 69-73 911 types not the stock ones.

davep
You should not have to disturb the bearing or the alignment. Remove the inner CV from the tranny, remove the nut on the end of the stub axle, and pull the whole drive shaft out. You may have to remove heat exchangers or loosten the shocks to get enough room to get the shaft out of there. If you can remove the inner CV from the shaft, that may also help.
echocanyons
Thanks Dave beerchug.gif
I wanted to remove the outer cv joint from the stub axel. I removed the bolts but it seems like the pins are sticking. I guess it's just a matter of brute force.

So.Cal.914
Use force , but don't be a brute about it. Some gental persuasion should do it.

smoke.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Hope you have some CV joints. They're NLA. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(echocanyons @ May 21 2006, 03:05 PM) *

Thanks Dave beerchug.gif
I wanted to remove the outer cv joint from the stub axel. I removed the bolts but it seems like the pins are sticking. I guess it's just a matter of brute force.

thats your outer CV...

what dave said. pull the stubaxle nut, pull the inner cv off the trans... and pull or lightlt tap the whole assembly out of the hub.....

echocanyons
Yep its the outer I need to remove, I destroyed the inner CV.

I plan on using the whole axel replacement, I hope these are still available.

Do I have to pull the axel nut? Can I not separate the stub axel from the CV joint?

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(echocanyons @ May 21 2006, 03:59 PM) *

Yep its the outer I need to remove, I destroyed the inner CV.

I plan on using the whole axel replacement, I hope these are still available.

Do I have to pull the axel nut? Can I not separate the stub axel from the CV joint?

its just easier to pull the axle nut... and slide the whole stub axle out of the hub...

you cant get the cv off the stub without some "prying" usually....

pull the stub, and then seperate it on the bench....

good luck finding replacement axles.....
echocanyons
That makes sense Araron, probably easie to put back together that way.

Are the 69-73 911 axle/cv assemblies in short supply too?
Dr. Roger
unfortunately, sometimes the bearing comes out with the stub and then you've got another issue to handle.

everyone's right about about prying to get that CV off.... i tried it your way and couldn't . I think it was Mike Mueller who showed me how to do this. just be as gentle as possible when driving that stub out.

remove the large castle nut and turn it around and spin it on until the nut threads are almost all hidden (keeps from mushrooming the stub end) . I used a 2X4 with a sledge hammer on the nut/stub.

one stub came right out. the other came out with the inner bearing and seal..... =-( I was going to replace them anyways... LOL

good luck!
Roger
Dr. Roger
oh, and patrick motorsports makes the adaptors to convert your stocker to the 110mm turbo carrera CV's and 5 blt. it's a little over the top for a stock 914. =-)

i've got the details if you need 'em.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ May 21 2006, 04:15 PM) *

unfortunately, sometimes the bearing comes out with the stub and then you've got another issue to handle.

remove the large castle nut and turn it around and spin it on until the nut threads are almost all hidden (keeps from mushrooming the stub end) . I used a 2X4 with a sledge hammer on the nut/stub.

one stub came right out. the other came out with the inner bearing and seal..... =-( I was going to replace them anyways... LOL

good luck!
Roger

the STUB is SPLINED onto the hub. wont even touch the bearing smoke.gif

you are interchanging hub and stub i think.....
michelko
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 21 2006, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ May 21 2006, 04:15 PM) *

good luck!
Roger

the STUB is SPLINED onto the hub. wont even touch the bearing smoke.gif

you are interchanging hub and stub i think.....

agree.gif

and donĀ“t forget to put the car on jack stands. The bearing will maybe destroyed with the load of the car nothing holding the inner races together!!!

smilie_flagge6.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.