Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hoopa Hill Climb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Randal
I've posted in the main forum, but here is the response I got from the event Chairman.

Yes we allow... as this is NOT a beginners type of event, we do require some form of competition driving experience. I'm sure most of your members would fit the bill!

We have an entry limit of 60 drivers.

We mail entry packets in a few weeks, so send me addresses and I will see that you get them.

We always enjoy meeting new people... makes life interesting! Loren Fisher

Get me your contact information and I'll send it up to Loren.

Randal
nebreitling
Awesome, thanks for advocating for us, Randal!

pm, sent.

grant, trek, dan, andrew bly, andy, others???
Randal
QUOTE(nebreitling @ May 21 2006, 05:32 PM) *

pm, sent.

This could end up being a blast. I know Andrew was very interested. I'd love to see the blue bomber running up that hill!
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ May 21 2006, 05:32 PM) *

pm, sent.

Where do I sign up? My car would rip in a hill climb event.
Trekkor
What are the dates?

KT
nebreitling
29-30 July
drew365
Do you have a link to a website with info on the hillclimb? I had one from previous years but it's not working.
Randal
QUOTE(drew365 @ May 24 2006, 04:50 PM) *

Do you have a link to a website with info on the hillclimb? I had one from previous years but it's not working.

No links Drew, but if you'll e-mail me your name and contact information I'll send it up to Loren who is organizing the event.

In turn he'll send you a packet of information to fill out and send back.

So far we have 3 people pretty serious about going up.

grantsfo
Any links to the actual road where this event occurs? I would like to drive it before the event if I am accepted.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 25 2006, 10:55 AM) *

Any links to the actual road where this event occurs? I would like to drive it before the event if I am accepted.

As I said earlier the club that sponsors this event isn't what we'd be used to here in the bay area. But here is a link I found:

http://www.redwoodmatrix.net/rscc/Hillclimb_Mailer.pdf

If you want the registration packet please e-mail me your contact information and I'll get it up to the event president.

drew365
Thanks for the link. That gives me some info. What is the entry fee? It's a long drive for four runs but I'm interested. There's something about a hillclimb I guess partly because they are so few and far between.
Randal
QUOTE(drew365 @ May 25 2006, 06:26 PM) *

Thanks for the link. That gives me some info. What is the entry fee? It's a long drive for four runs but I'm interested. There's something about a hillclimb I guess partly because they are so few and far between.

Don't know the entry fee, but will post when we get our packets in the mail from Loren.
Trekkor
PM sent.
theol00
This looks like a hoot - if we can get a group together - I would be very interested to run there. Never done a hill climp before -
grantsfo
Any updates? I havent seen anything.
nebreitling
nothing yet. randal's in africa still iirc.
Randal
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jun 4 2006, 06:49 PM) *

I'm back in Los Altos after a great trip. Will try to get ahold of Loren today.

Randal
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 13 2006, 11:25 AM) *

Randal

I've left phone messages for both Loren and Tina Johnson (event chairperson), so hopefully will hear back from them tonight.

As soon as I hear I'll post.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 13 2006, 11:35 AM) *

Randal

I've left phone messages for both Loren and Tina Johnson (event chairperson), so hopefully will hear back from them tonight.

One of the event chairpersons (Nancy) just called me. She'll be faxing the application to me tomorrow, along with all the logistic information.

As soon as I scan the entry struff we'll get it sent out to everyone via e-mail.

We can converse on line about which hotel, lunch menu, etc.

More tomorrow.

nebreitling

One of the event chairpersons (Nancy) just called me. She'll be faxing the application to me tomorrow, along with all the logistic information.

As soon as I scan the entry struff we'll get it sent out to everyone via e-mail.

More tomorrow.

awesome randal. glad you're back -- i'll call tomorrow, would love to hear about your trip.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 13 2006, 08:41 PM) *

Randal

More tomorrow.

OK, I have the forms for entry. They are attached below. I'll also send these forms by e-mail to everyone's e-mail address I have that showed interest.

Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 14 2006, 02:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 13 2006, 08:41 PM) *

Randal

More tomorrow.

OK, I have the forms for entry. They are attached below. I'll also send these forms by e-mail to everyone's e-mail address I have that showed interest.

OK that didn't work, because of the file size. I'll send the attachment by e-mail.
kdfoust
I just got my entry forms from Tina. Right now I'm thinking that I'll pull a gonzo drive up on the proceding Thursday. I'll be coming out of south Orange county. Anyone want to caravan, meet for lunch, dinner, whatever on the way? I'll be driving the hillclimber...

Regards,
Kevin
drew365
I'm not positive I'm going but I'm hoping to. If I do, I plan on leaving L.A. early Friday morning like about 6 a.m. I'm hoping it can be a 10 hour drive which would get me there in time for evening tech and drivers meeting. Is this too optomistic? I really don't want to have to make it a 5 day weekend.
Randal
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jun 19 2006, 04:35 PM) *

I'm not positive I'm going but I'm hoping to. If I do, I plan on leaving L.A. early Friday morning like about 6 a.m. I'm hoping it can be a 10 hour drive which would get me there in time for evening tech and drivers meeting. Is this too optomistic? I really don't want to have to make it a 5 day weekend.

It's 520 miles from Button Willow to Eureka, so that is about 10 hours at normal highway speeds. How long does it take you to get to Button Willow from LA?

Randal
kdfoust
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jun 19 2006, 04:35 PM) *

Wow man. I google-earthed the drive. It says 702 miles from Dana Point to Eureka. I think 10 hours may be a little optimistic. You're towing aren't you?
drew365
Google says it's 642 miles from my place in SF Valley. Doable, but definitely a long day. I'm assuming the trip across 299 is pretty windy? Yes, I tow a 20ft. enclosed trailer with my diesel p/u. A lot of trouble for four runs, I'm not feeling real positive about it right now.
kdfoust
After sleeping on this I've decided that 4 passes isn't enough for a 1500 mile drive. I'm out. If I happen to be in that area at the right time some day...

Later,
Kevin
grantsfo
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jun 19 2006, 07:11 PM) *

Google says it's 642 miles from my place in SF Valley. Doable, but definitely a long day. I'm assuming the trip across 299 is pretty windy? Yes, I tow a 20ft. enclosed trailer with my diesel p/u. A lot of trouble for four runs, I'm not feeling real positive about it right now.

299 is very twisty - great 914 road. For those towing remember it will be scorching hot coming up HWY 5. I sent in registration today!
bigequip
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jun 20 2006, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(drew365 @ Jun 19 2006, 07:11 PM) *

299 is very twisty - great 914 road. For those towing remember it will be scorching hot coming up HWY 5. I sent in registration today!

I have driven 299 pulling a trailer and it is about a 25 mph average. You can't speed on 299 as it is real sharp curves and windy. Great for someone driving their teen. I would like to go but it is too far for only 4 runs from Corona. I will be running in St. John's, AZ the next weekend on a airport track.
grantsfo
Who is registered and what are your plans? I think my wife, Sheilah, is going to come along and we'll have our dog too. I have a camping set up for the truck, but thinking it might be fairly miserable if its real hot. ...So thinking of staying in a hotel close by.
nebreitling
hey grant!

i sent in my registration, but haven't heard any confirmation... have you?

anyway, i'm in. i'll by trailering up, Zoya is coming (so i'm glad Sheilah will be there -- they'll have someone to hang out with), and the tentative plan is to camp, but we might decide on a local motel also. i've offered to Randal to co-drive my car, but haven't heard one way or the other. i think he was still interested in coming -- even if just to spectate -- but that might have changed. most everyone
(Bill P, Dan, et al) else is prolly headed to the GGR TT.

could you email me a day time ph number? it'd be nice to camp/lodge next to each other.
nebreitling
Hey Trekkor! are you in?
nebreitling
grant -- caravan up the 101?
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jul 3 2006, 12:49 PM) *

hey grant!

i sent in my registration, but haven't heard any confirmation... have you?

anyway, i'm in. i'll by trailering up, Zoya is coming (so i'm glad Sheilah will be there -- they'll have someone to hang out with), and the tentative plan is to camp, but we might decide on a local motel also. i've offered to Randal to co-drive my car, but haven't heard one way or the other. i think he was still interested in coming -- even if just to spectate -- but that might have changed. most everyone
(Bill P, Dan, et al) else is prolly headed to the GGR TT.

could you email me a day time ph number? it'd be nice to camp/lodge next to each other.

I havent had confirmation yet either although I recieved a brochure on the hillclimb. Figured I would call within the next week to confirm if I dont get anything else.

Did you find any places to camp? I was hoping to find a place that had showers etc. If not I think I may camp the first night and then do motel.

I will have the "new" truck and will be flat towing if I dont find a trailer.

Sheilah thinks this will be fun. I'm still not sure ....dragging 914 behind a truck in 100 degree weather ...sweating like crazy .....to drive up a hill a couple of times? Sounds sort of silly to me. clap56.gif

And yes I think caravan would be a great!
nebreitling
[quote]

Did you find any places to camp? I was hoping to find a place that had showers etc. If not I think I may camp the first night and then do motel. [/quote]

no, but i haven't looked, either. honestly, now that zoya is coming we'll probably just find a motel. [/quote]

[quote]dragging 914 behind a truck in 100 degree weather ...sweating like crazy .....to drive up a hill a couple of times? Sounds sort of silly to me. clap56.gif
[/quote]

are you kidding? it's bat-shit crazy! should be a good time!
Trekkor
I'm out...

Got your message Nate. I was at Marine World with the family all day.

Maybe another time.

Get pics and video...and be careful!!

KT
nebreitling
so grant, according to the brochure, we need to be up there on Friday for Tech from 4-8pm and the driver's meeting at 8.30pm.

yahoo maps says it's 6 hours from SF. i can't tell if it'd be faster going up the 5 or the 101. would you like to meet in SF at like 10am? that ought to give us time to deal with the inevitable flat tire, eat lunch, check into a motel, and make tech with some time for dinner.

edit: also, it's windows up or arm restraints/window-net -- and a 5BC extinguisher. i think you'll need side-bars to make your cage GCR legal, but i doubt they'd call you on that...
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jul 4 2006, 01:11 PM) *

so grant, according to the brochure, we need to be up there on Friday for Tech from 4-8pm and the driver's meeting at 8.30pm.

yahoo maps says it's 6 hours from SF. i can't tell if it'd be faster going up the 5 or the 101. would you like to meet in SF at like 10am? that ought to give us time to deal with the inevitable flat tire, eat lunch, check into a motel, and make tech with some time for dinner.

edit: also, it's windows up or arm restraints/window-net -- and a 5BC extinguisher. i think you'll need side-bars to make your cage GCR legal, but i doubt they'd call you on that...

Sounds good. I will have extinguisher and will figure out a window net. Given my car is street legal and will have top I dont think I will get much crap for lack of side bars.
nebreitling

Sounds good. I will have extinguisher and will figure out a window net. Given my car is street legal and will have top I dont think I will get much crap for lack of side bars.

yeah. they say you don't need window nets if you roll up the widows. weird rule, seems like it should be the opposite in terms of 'driver extraction' -- but maybe they're expecting us to roll the car into some trees or something. yay.

Randal is still interested in coming up, should be a party!
rhodyguy
there's not much in hoopa. i think the nearest motel would be in willow springs(?. i can't find my cal road map right now). it's the town where the 96 meets the 299. about 15 to 20 mintues from hoopa. hope this helps.

k
nebreitling
grant, i just sent an email off to Tina to confirm our registration... thanks for the info, kevin.
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jul 10 2006, 12:52 PM) *

grant, i just sent an email off to Tina to confirm our registration... thanks for the info, kevin.

Did you hear anything? I havent looked into this yet.
nebreitling
no reply; no check deposited. i'll call today.
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jul 12 2006, 11:47 AM) *

no reply; no check deposited. i'll call today.

I was waiting until I heard something from you. Did you hear back? I keep on forgetting to bring the phone number to work.
nebreitling
Hi Grant, I left a message on Tina's machine, haven't heard back.
nebreitling
grant/randal, give me a call when you have a chance. i'm looking at places to stay, and wondering if the five of us don't want to split a cabin or something. there are some nice and surprisingly reasonable places up there.

six five 0h two four eight seven nine four six
nebreitling
check it out!! piratenanner.gif
nebreitling
craptacular quality in-car video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...852&q=hoopa
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jul 13 2006, 02:17 PM) *

It will be interesting to see how our cars compare in a hillclimb. I think my car's torque and fat tires are definitely going to help, but you will have a weight advantage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.