Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for bay area folks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
We are thinking of moving to the bay area, Oakland, so i can finish my degree.

We may have a place sorted out, but as its only an InLaw flat with no parking I'm wondering were i'll keep the 914?

Will finding a secure garage/storage for it be impossible or impossibly expensive?

I'm paying $100 a month right now and am pretty cool with that for the luxury of keeping her inside when not inuse.

parking on the street would be a really scary proposition for me.

whatcha think?

SirAndy
QUOTE(brer @ May 21 2006, 05:42 PM) *
whatcha think?
yes and agree.gif

Will finding a secure garage/storage for it be impossible or impossibly expensive?
yes

parking on the street would be a really scary proposition for me.
agree.gif

parking on the street, especially a car as nice as yours, is asking for a lot of trouble and headaches. most certainly not a good idea.
if, and that's a big IF, you can find some sort of secure parking for your car, it's going to be expensive ...

sad.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Oakland is scary...period.
brer
Thanks Andy.

I had a feeling that was the case.

Presents some very tough choices.

happy11.gif sad.gif happy11.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(mikez @ May 21 2006, 08:36 PM) *

Oakland is scary...period.

Geez, it kinda depends on where in Oakland...the flats tend to suck and the hills tend to cost cubic money...but there are areas that are ok, and there are other towns nearby in the east bay...hayward, fremont, etc...of course the cheap areas are that way for a reason when people commute over 100 mi per day to work so they won't have to live in them.... confused24.gif
96conv
Brer, check out my avatar. I bought that 911 from the PO who used to park it 24/7 under an all-weather cover on Adeline Street in Berkeley. Lots of homeless walking about plus your garden variety bad boyz. Twice the cover was stolen (probably for shelter) but the car was never damaged. Where in Oakland are you planning to relocate? There are some really bad parts in Oakland but most areas are just fine.
brer
My cousin and his wife have just bought a place, they are both doing very well (lawyers biggrin.gif ) and there is an attached 1 bedroom beneath the craftsman. Not sure of the street, but I'm guessing it aint to bad of a neighborhood.
I'll have to check on the street.

San Diego is not where we want to be after next year.
Fine for now, but am planning a move.
Mostly will depend on what school will have me.
blink.gif

ConeDodger
QUOTE(brer @ May 21 2006, 10:57 PM) *

My cousin and his wife have just bought a place, they are both doing very well (lawyers biggrin.gif ) and there is an attached 1 bedroom beneath the craftsman. Not sure of the street, but I'm guessing it aint to bad of a neighborhood.
I'll have to check on the street.

The fact that you mention a Craftsman makes me think they may be on Alameda Island. Nice area. What school are you going to? Berkeley? I lived in a dorm there while in grad school and took the Capital Corridor Train in from Sacramento once a week. Much cheaper and less stressful than driving.

San Diego is not where we want to be after next year.
Fine for now, but am planning a move.
Mostly will depend on what school will have me.
blink.gif

brer
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 21 2006, 11:14 PM) *

QUOTE(brer @ May 21 2006, 10:57 PM) *

The fact that you mention a Craftsman makes me think they may be on Alameda Island. Nice area. What school are you going to? Berkeley? I lived in a dorm there while in grad school and took the Capital Corridor Train in from Sacramento once a week. Much cheaper and less stressful than driving.

The issue is my other half really wants to live in SF. She dreams of taking public transportation to work every day. smile.gif

Berkeley is the first choice.

also looking at

Seattle
Austin
Houston
Penn state
UVA

McMark
In the next month or so, I expect to have storage available. Only problem is that your car will be in Napa, 45 minutes away. pinch.gif
rhodyguy
seattle? for the UW?

k
nebreitling
If having storage for your car is a priority, it will severely limit your choices, but you can still find a place. my gf and i pay 1200/month for half of an old house -- WITH a garage that the 914 and pool table reside in. in san francisco.

i'd ditch the in-law idea. street parking in oakland is asking for trouble with a car like yours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.