Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump relocation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
thinking of moving the fuel pump on a 73 1.7. to the center tunnel . have detailed written instructions but don't understand some of it. any pics of one already done?
drewvw
QUOTE(nycchef @ May 21 2006, 05:51 PM) *

thinking of moving the fuel pump on a 73 1.7. to the center tunnel . have detailed written instructions but don't understand some of it. any pics of one already done?

tunnel? Do you mean up in front under the tank?
nycchef
[quote name='drewvw' date='May 21 2006, 04:56 PM' post='685249']
[quote name='nycchef' post='685243' date='May 21 2006, 05:51 PM']
[/quote]

tunnel? Do you mean up in front under the tank?
[/quote

thats it. instuctions called it the center tunnel. think i have vapor lock been told thats where to put it.
Dr Evil
Here ya go.
drewvw

how did your fuel pressure thing go? You know, I think before you start getting in too deep you should really find a good mechanic to look at the car. Your engine problems sound like they could be something relatively minor that an experienced 914 guy could find quickly....

Vapor lock causes the car not to run at all I believe, not run crappy.
nycchef
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 21 2006, 06:22 PM) *

Here ya go.

hey doc stupid question where exactly is that pump located . directions i got say shoud be next to the rubber grommet at the forward part of the center tunnel.
nycchef
QUOTE(drewvw @ May 21 2006, 06:24 PM) *

how did your fuel pressure thing go? You know, I think before you start getting in too deep you should really find a good mechanic to look at the car. Your engine problems sound like they could be something relatively minor that an experienced 914 guy could find quickly....

Vapor lock causes the car not to run at all I believe, not run crappy.

car stalls and then starts after 20 min or so. was told thats the vapor lock gonna check the timing and idle adjust for the crappy part. will take it out to see leo in n.j. if i can get to run for an hour.
Lou W
QUOTE(nycchef @ May 21 2006, 07:29 PM) *

Here ya go.

hey doc stupid question where exactly is that pump located . directions i got say shoud be next to the rubber grommet at the forward part of the center tunnel.

That picture that you see is looking down into the gas tank area with the gas tank removed. Pelican parts has a thread on relocating the pump into the compartment ahead of the gas tank, near the arae where the spare tire goes.
Lou W
Here, this might help:Fuel Pump Relocation
MrKona
QUOTE(nycchef @ May 21 2006, 07:29 PM) *

Here ya go.

I'm not the doc, but I think I can answer your question. That picture is taken looking down the fuel tank compartment from above with the tank removed. The pump is mounted to the driver's side of the steering column, on the inside of the front firewall.

Who's directions are you referring to for the pump relocation? I ask because it's been recommended a couple different ways. If you look at Auto Atlanta's online directions, they tell you (kind of) how to relocate it to the underside of the car, in the along side the steering rack, to the right of the brake master cylinder. This is also the relocation method that Grassroots Motorsports used on their Project 914 car. See Grassroots Motorsports, August 2002, page 114 for a color picture.

The pump relocation tech article on the Pelican board gives directions to locate to the 1975-76 factory location. (Note area decribed in the previous paragraph is not the factory location). I'll borrow a picture recently posted by "East Coaster" of his fantastic silver shell. I've circled the area where the fuel pump cover is located on the 75-76 models. There's a picture of this in the Haynes manual, page 45, Fig. 2.19. Looks like Dr. Evil has mounted his at this location, on the inside firewall.
Dr Evil
Yup, what they said. Installing it in the cabin (which is where you would have to to have it in/on the tunnel) is not a good idea for so many reasons.

Vapor lock only happens when your fuel pump/gas gets hot, yours is getting hot when it quits, right?

nycchef
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 22 2006, 08:16 AM) *

Yup, what they said. Installing it in the cabin (which is where you would have to to have it in/on the tunnel) is not a good idea for so many reasons.

Vapor lock only happens when your fuel pump/gas gets hot, yours is getting hot when it quits, right?

i guess so. has the right symptoms. stalls after running for a while then 20 min later starts again. if tunnel is the wrong place where should i stick it?
drewvw
QUOTE(nycchef @ May 21 2006, 07:33 PM) *

car stalls and then starts after 20 min or so. was told thats the vapor lock gonna check the timing and idle adjust for the crappy part. will take it out to see leo in n.j. if i can get to run for an hour.

That sounds like the right move. I also think that guy TimT isn't too far either...
ptravnic
Rich - if you don't want to go through the hassle of removing the gas tank, you can instalal the pump/filter underneath the tank from the bottom of the car. There's a thin metal plate held on by about 4 nuts and/or screws. Its easily found at the front of the floor pan section, between the wheels where the steering rack meets the suspension stuff (not the technical term but you get the idea). Once you remove this pan, you will see the the master cylinder mounted closer to the driver's side, then the passenger side area has some open space where you should see the fuel lines coming down off the tank and heading to the back of the car. A splice into that line, a couple clips, and you are set...

I'll give you a hand if I can, if nothing else so you can use my car as a real life example of the above description...

I think your car has 2 diff probs. One is def vapor lock which is causing the stalling & waiting 20mins situation. The other prob (or problems) is the idle. The idle seems more like a tuning issue which is where a competent mechanic *should* be able to help out...

Apprec the call yday - we'll get together soon.

-Pete
nycchef
Click to view attachment pete that sounds like a great idea. really hate to take out the tank again and i can check the master cylinder at the same time. may have a fluid leak had to fill up brake fluid today. gonna take a look at that this week. check these out. got them today. yokohama es 100's 205/55. i love em.
914werke
CHT
ptravnic
Wheels look nice! beer.gif Looks like you scored w/the 5 lug wheels too - Other than the 1972 Orange 914 we talked about, I also have a black 76 which wants to be a six which will I'll want to beef up the suspension prob by going 5 lug 911 type. That might be what you've got on yours. Of course, I'm not sure when the black one will get this overhaul - when it grows up/when I have the $/time to put into it...

Nice looking wheel/tire setup.

-Pete
nycchef
QUOTE(ptravnic @ May 22 2006, 05:20 PM) *

Wheels look nice! beer.gif Looks like you scored w/the 5 lug wheels too - Other than the 1972 Orange 914 we talked about, I also have a black 76 which wants to be a six which will I'll want to beef up the suspension prob by going 5 lug 911 type. That might be what you've got on yours. Of course, I'm not sure when the black one will get this overhaul - when it grows up/when I have the $/time to put into it...

Nice looking wheel/tire setup.

-Pete

pictures are misleading. fuch plastic hub caps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.