Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car with slicks= FTD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
URY914
Ran my first a/x with the Hoosier slicks. It went like a bat out of hell!! I got FTD by about 2 seconds over the next guy. I was the only 914 there. Here is a pic of the early morning. After the fog burnt off it was over 90 degrees today. We got 6 timed runs which was great but sitting in the sun with big a heater right behind me was a no fun.

URY914
The day was not without it problems through. After my second run I noticed more oil the normal leaking from somewhere. By the third run it was getting thrown everywhere. And by the end of the day I had oil on the back of my HELMET confused24.gif

I stopped by a FLAPS on the way home and picked up two cans of Junk and cleaned it up. What a fuching mess. Well I decided to pull a v-cover off and look what I find....
Trekkor
Cool on the win.
Uncool on the sucked gasket.

KT
URY914
I also had them on the WRONG sides headbang.gif

VW logo was NOT upside down. What was I thinking, someone beat me with a chair. chair.gif

I've got another one this Sunday. driving.gif
Dave-O
What class do you run that beast in?
J P Stein
Atta go Paul.
Don't cha love it when a plan comes together?...oil shower excepted. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
its like a mullet. purely business...with a touch of class LOL

nice job bud

AA
URY914
QUOTE(Dave-O @ May 21 2006, 06:41 PM) *

What class do you run that beast in?

M2 in PCA.
URY914
It was understeering in the slow corners. I had all the tires at 22 psi and didn't adjust them. Also my alinement is not dead nuts so I need to look at that. I should be able to dial out the understeer.

One thing I do know is that engine is scary fast. The torque is unreal. My arms are sore from fighting the steeringwheel. I need to get smoother with the power application. On my old engine I would spend a lot of time with my foot planted to the floor. I can't do that now. It really is a completly new car from last year.

About 2x the Horsepower + More than 2x the Torque + a lightened flywheel + Sticky slicks + Lighter than ever = A wild ass ride. driving.gif
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 22 2006, 06:12 AM) *

It was understeering in the slow corners. I had all the tires at 22 psi and didn't adjust them. Also my alinement is not dead nuts so I need to look at that. I should be able to dial out the understeer.

One thing I do know is that engine is scary fast. The torque is unreal. My arms are sore from fighting the steeringwheel. I need to get smoother with the power application. On my old engine I would spend a lot of time with my foot planted to the floor. I can't do that now. It really is a completly new car from last year.

About 2x the Horsepower + More than 2x the Torque + a lightened flywheel + Sticky slicks + Lighter than ever = A wild ass ride. driving.gif

Sounds like way to much fun Paul.

We need a video while your running so that we can finally see what we are (already) all jealous about.

Randal
URY914
I'm working on a camera mount on top of the roll bar and I bought a new camera. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Interesting.... 22 PSI and you had low speed understeer.
I was running 26 with those tires and I was under steering a bit too.
The nex event I'll have less negative camber to plant the whole tire on the ground.
What kinda temps were you getting and what kinda camber do you have?

What kinda backspacing do you have total now. 4.5 was not enough for me. I was rubbing inside fender well out back.

FTD so how big a pond were you running in?
I figure I can win PAX if THAT DAMN HONDA EVER BREAKS.
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 22 2006, 08:46 AM) *

Interesting.... 22 PSI and you had low speed understeer.
I was running 26 with those tires and I was under steering a bit too.
The nex event I'll have less negative camber to plant the whole tire on the ground.
What kinda temps were you getting and what kinda camber do you have?

What kinda backspacing do you have total now. 4.5 was not enough for me. I was rubbing inside fender well out back.

FTD so how big a pond were you running in?
I figure I can win PAX if THAT DAMN HONDA EVER BREAKS.

Temp? Don't know.

on the back space I'd would have to check but I've got about 1/2 until I rub the inside.

We had 36-40 drivers there. There was a 996 turbo, must of cost about +$100K. OWNED biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Yea so far I have owned ALL other P cars that dare show up to SCCA autocross. DO I get FTD??????
Pretty much pisses them off and I love it. Only one that come close is the 944 running A Street Prepared. He is actually a pretty cool guy.
and a new guy with a Carrera 4S that insists on driving with one one hand on the shifter. He wants to learn.

HOW MUCH CAMBER ARE YOU RUNNING WITH?????????????
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 22 2006, 09:06 AM) *

HOW MUCH CAMBER ARE YOU RUNNING WITH?????????????

YOU DON'T HAVE TO FUCHING YELL, I'M RIGHT HERE biggrin.gif

I'll check tonight. I don't all the shit off the top of my head ya know. confused24.gif

Paul
Joe Ricard
Sorry But I did ask nice the 1st time.
Only cause I really want to know for comparison data.
I am right now set up at 2 degrees negative and need to re-do everything to obtain -1 or less.
carr914
Good Job Paul. Sounds like 3 times as many drivers as the last A/X. Did Danny run? If he did I will assume that is who you beat by 2 secs.

T.C.
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 22 2006, 11:44 AM) *

Sorry But I did ask nice the 1st time.
Only cause I really want to know for comparison data.
I am right now set up at 2 degrees negative and need to re-do everything to obtain -1 or less.

I'm at 1 1/2 degree. Just measured it. I don't think I can get any more w/o cut a little sheet metal. The shock is tight against the side of the openning.
URY914
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 22 2006, 12:03 PM) *

Good Job Paul. Sounds like 3 times as many drivers as the last A/X. Did Danny run? If he did I will assume that is who you beat by 2 secs.

T.C.

Danny was the event chair so he did not offically enter. He was giving instruction rides to the ricer crowd. He ran the course about 12 times.
Joe Ricard
I have to flip my camber plates from side to side so I can get more out of the front.
I have more shims and longer bolts to get more out of the rears.

Tough to do on a lowered car "less negative camber"
carr914
Thats what Danny did last time but they were all timed and recorded. Thats when he beat me by 6 secs and the Caterham(or whatever it is) by 5.

T.C.
URY914
There was a new guy witha brand new silver 997. Brought it in a trailer and a big Dodge Powerwagon P/U. His last run he spins off course and UP THE BERM on the east side of the course. He went just over the top and stopped with his front end pointing up. Luckly he was able to back it down and drive it off. If it had been wet he would have needed his truck to get him out. laugh.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 22 2006, 07:54 PM) *

I have to flip my camber plates from side to side so I can get more out of the front.

Joe,
You need a set of my custom solid trailing arm brackets. smile.gif I can make them to eliminate all the extra shims and get your camber where you want it. The front is a little tougher - you have to take a grinder to the body where the top brackets go.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 25 2006, 07:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 22 2006, 07:54 PM) *

Joe,
You need a set of my custom solid trailing arm brackets. smile.gif I can make them to eliminate all the extra shims and get your camber where you want it. The front is a little tougher - you have to take a grinder to the body where the top brackets go.

Yea thanks Chris, I suppose you are right and I would love to. What I really need is to quit fooling around with stuff and go get the car professionally aligned. along with corner balance etc.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.