Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tracking down a Californai engine builder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krazykonrad
My 914 has a type IV that was put in by the PO shortly before I bought it. However the PO claims he cant remeber the name of the source but he got it from somewhere in California. Its a 2.0 bored out to 2.3. I'm trying to track down the builder to get some info on what cam, compression, etc. is in it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Konrad 72/4 beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
builders name?

please do not say steve stromburg sad.gif
anthony
That's not an inexpensive engine ($4K+). It's hard to believe that he can't find any records or even remember the city.
krazykonrad
I've got the records from the shop here in Macon who installed it, but all they can remeber is that it came from someplace in Cali. From the records it cost about $4200 plus install. If any of you might know of the mystery builder or any of the usual suspects, please let me know!
Thanks
Konrad
rhodyguy
is there something wrong with it or are you just curious? does it smell like an onion?

k
dstar
IF he can't *remember* the name of the builder of a $4000 engine,
it's obviously Stromturd.

DSTAR
newto914s
Look around the engine, their could be marking or numbers from the builder. I sent a year trying to get in touch with the POs PO about my cars build-up. Just to realize when I pulled the engine(exhaust valve burned up) it had a GEX sticker right infront of me the whole time. Needless to say, I was a little disapointed.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ May 21 2006, 08:51 PM) *

My 914 has a type IV that was put in by the PO shortly before I bought it. However the PO claims he cant remeber the name of the source but he got it from somewhere in California. Its a 2.0 bored out to 2.3. I'm trying to track down the builder to get some info on what cam, compression, etc. is in it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Konrad 72/4 beerchug.gif

Do the name Roberts, Bontempi, or High Performance House appear anywhere in the documentation?
I agree, Stromberg would be a nightmare but lets not run into that wall automatically. sheeplove.gif
krazykonrad
Its running a lot better since I tracked down some vacuum leaks. I really wnat to know at what compression and with what cam its running to see if I need to go with carbs or the D-jet will keep up. I'll work the Stromberg angle for now. Is he really that bad? ohmy.gif
Hammy
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ May 22 2006, 08:43 AM) *

Its running a lot better since I tracked down some vacuum leaks. I really wnat to know at what compression and with what cam its running to see if I need to go with carbs or the D-jet will keep up. I'll work the Stromberg angle for now. Is he really that bad? ohmy.gif

yes. this icon stromberg.gif here is named after him smile.gif
oh and I'm pretty sure D-jet won't handle a 2.3
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
" Is he that bad" Does shit stink. Dave
rhodyguy
look, he says it's "running alot better...". you should go for a run with some other members to see how your perfromance compares. i'm all confused with the appearent lack of hard details on the paperwork.

k
Cap'n Krusty
Any reputable business ("shop") will have a checkbook register entry or a credit card receipt for the engine. Even if they used a MO or cashier's check, they'll have the receipt copy. They should also have a receipt from the builder, and probably some other paperwork, as well. The Cap'n
dstar
IT's RUNNING!

Must NOT be Stromturd's engine..........
:-)

Don
Mueller
there has got to be 100's of shops that could have built that motor....chances of it coming from stromberg is very unlikely, I don't see many professional shops farming it out to him...depending on the price tag of the engine, high end would be FAT, low end GEX (do they do non-stock rebuilds?)

BMXerror
Wow, that dude must suck.... Well, that's why I build my own engines..... I may not be a 'professional' or have a shop, but I'll own any mistakes.
Mark D.
BMXerror
QUOTE(Hammy @ May 22 2006, 08:50 AM) *

yes. this icon stromberg.gif here is named after him smile.gif

HOLY CRAP IT REALLY IS!!!! chairfall.gif av-943.gif ROFLMFAO...... By the way, I luv howw you speeled Califorai. biggrin.gif
anthony
I really wnat to know at what compression and with what cam its running to see if I need to go with carbs or the D-jet will keep up.

It's hard to believe that any 2270, regardless of cam, could run well using D-Jet. I'd just get started tuning with carbs or an aftermarket fuel injection system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.