Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Compartment Seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I am at that point in my restoration where I am ready to start painting soon. In order to paint the engine compartment properly I would like to remove the engine seals. They are in good shape but minor attempts to remove them looks like they might tear or I will have to bend the metal that holds them in.
Any suggestions?
Tx

Still love aktion035.gif the bananas mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
Brad Roberts
The two side pieces will pull out the back, but you will have to follow along each one of them and check for metal that is pinched over to hold them in. I normally replace them...because no matter how careful I am..I end up tearing them. GPR carries a seal that you cut to length for 20-30$

B
tracks914
That's good for the sides but is there an easy way to get the front and back ones out?

confused24.gif confused24.gif
BenNC
As a follow up question, what's the best way to get them back in?
SirAndy
once the sides are out, you can slide the front and back out too.
make sure the metal lip doesn't clamp the rubber anywhere, and then just slide them out sideways (i usually slide them towards the driver side). if you pull too hard you'll rip them into pieces. i used some lubrication to get them going ...
Dave_Darling
I didn't have any problem pulling the front seal out. I did have to tear the hog-ring that joined the front corners out, though. I think I used a screwdriverto start the seal out? Anyway, once it was started, it pulled out easily enough.

To put the seal back in, you hook one lip into the channel that holds it to the body. Then you use a screwdriver to poke the other lip into the top part of the channel. No problem!

This technique works with the side seals as well.

I did not remove the rear seal.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.