Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nelson National Race
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
groot
I'll be there along with Tom Burdge. Feel free to stop by if you're in the neighborhood.

Wish us luck!!
ChrisFoley
Good Luck, Kevin and Tom!
I saw 14 FP cars on the entry list a few days ago. WOW!
Joe Ricard
Road trip!!!!!!!!!!
brant
Best of luck Kevin!
groot
10 EP cars and 13 FP cars..... should be fun.

Nelson Entry list
groot
Not a good weekend for the 914s at Nelson.

Tom had a clutch problem during the 2nd qualifying session and while we were checking it out, we noticed he had a large crack on his right rear inner suspension ear. DNS the race.

I ran the first qualifying session and the CHTs got too high... managed a 1:17.3, putting me in 9th of 11 for EP, 13th on the grid of 37+. The fast guys hit 1:13.5. Tom and I cut a bunch of blades off of my fan (to avoid cavitation...we think) in hopes of lowering the CHTs. 2nd qualifying... still too hot. I didn't make any max speed laps to try and preserve the engine. Made a few more changes to try and help the CHTs for the race. Started the race with the intent of running 1:20-22 laps to keep the CHTs low. CHTs still crept up to over 400. I putted around and finished 8th. Hopefully, the heads are still okay.

I need to regroup and figure this out..... I'm running a 6" duct through the car. EGTs were fine. I've got a new set of tin and I'm going to rebuild the engine tin using the new set. I'm contemplating creating a total loss water spritzer......
brant
I don't have numbers for you.
but used to run a total loss water spritzer with very good results for 2-3 years.

we bungee'd a truck inner tube into the rear trunk. (not the best place for weight) but it was only about 5lbs total and would run for 20minutes.

plus we installed a switch so it wasn't even turned on until needed.

its an easy 5$ thing to try.

brant
groot
Good to know Brant...

I shouldn't need one, but I'm really perplexed here. I'm staying out of races until I get this under control.

For the spritzer, I was thinking of using a windshield washer pump, tank and nozzle..... and maybe connecting the switch to the accelerator pedal to close on wide open throttle. Mount the nozzle in the 6" duct so the water will hit the fan on the way in.
brant
Thats pretty much the set up we used.
a 5$ generic replacement windshield washer pump from flaps.
a piece of rubber line zip tied around the motor and a 914 nozzle on the end, zip tied as to be spraying into the front fan.

(and the inner tube instead of a bottle, but that doesn't matter)

we just wired a rocker switch.
flipped it on when the CHT got high... and off when it dropped down.
simple wiring.

its a common practice in colorado where the altitude reduces cooling efficiency on the track.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.