Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How 'bout a T-IV in a motorcycle, see pic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I found this on Samba.

Now I've seen T-IV's in planes, three wheelers, cars and motorcycles. Anyone seen one in a boat?

Aaron Cox
no cooling tin...... just stay moving i guess....like a formula vee car....

looks like it was made for that bike tongue.gif
David_S
I stumbled across this pic several years ago and can't remember where I found it. Evidently it is the same bike !
URY914
So he bolted a toothed spocket on to the outlet flange of the tranny WTF.gif
Aaron Cox
it has to be a welded diff then....

smart!
TROJANMAN
that's funny, because i was just talking to a guy at the track this weekend that was saying "WHAT IF?"
URY914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 22 2006, 10:30 AM) *

smart!

And reverse....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 22 2006, 11:33 AM) *

smart!

And reverse....

wonder how it shifts?

is it a 901 or a bug/bus tranny?

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 22 2006, 11:34 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 22 2006, 11:33 AM) *

smart!

And reverse....

wonder how it shifts?

is it a 901 or a bug/bus tranny?

duhr.... unless it is spinning in reverse it has to be a 914 tranny or have a flipped diff...
dstar
Looks like it is side-shifted?
Electrically?

Don
Air_Cooled_Nut
I've seen 'em w/T1 engines. Got a poster of one in my garage. I'd use an automatic tranny biggrin.gif
East coaster
Does this count for the boat??

Click to view attachment
fiid
That would be the ultimate for ease of valve adjustment, and that's all I's gots to say about it biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE(East coaster @ May 22 2006, 02:19 PM) *

Does this count for the boat??

Click to view attachment

That would be a boat from where I'm from. Gotta a closer picture?
East coaster
No other pics, I ust grabbed that from Great Planes website. They're the folks who fabricated the aircraft conversion parts for my VW aero engine. They also do air boats.
URY914
OK, add boats to the list. I'm sure Jake knows of more.
Brian Mifsud
Not a TYPE IV, but the Subaru's are popular in homebuilt "runabouts". Light, low profile, cheap and quiet.
East coaster
Brian, Any details (links?) for info on Subaru marine use. My dream boat is a 21' Carolina Skiff with a 2.5 Subaru driving a Yamaha 155mm jet pump. I built a 16' prototype and it works great, but it uses a complete Yamaha Waverunner driveline. 40mph in 4" of water!

Curious about the availability of water cooled exhaust manifolds for the Suby. Somebody in Australia used to produce them, but no more.
Dr Evil
I found some BMW bikes with TI engines in them. I hear they are heavy and don't brake well. they still look very cool.
Mueller
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 22 2006, 09:09 AM) *

I found this on Samba.

Now I've seen T-IV's in planes, three wheelers, cars and motorcycles. Anyone seen one in a boat?

that bike was posted last year or so...Jake built the engine or had something to do with it....guy custom builds shotguns, one of which Jake got I believe.....
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(East coaster @ May 22 2006, 05:27 PM) *

Brian, Any details (links?) for info on Subaru marine use. My dream boat is a 21' Carolina Skiff with a 2.5 Subaru driving a Yamaha 155mm jet pump. I built a 16' prototype and it works great, but it uses a complete Yamaha Waverunner driveline. 40mph in 4" of water!

Curious about the availability of water cooled exhaust manifolds for the Suby. Somebody in Australia used to produce them, but no more.

There was an extensive article in "WoodenBoat" magazine in issue #134 on how to do the conversion. It's been at least a few years, so I don't remember if the exhaust manifolds were custom, or commercially made. I'll dig it up and scan it for you.

I suppose, you could have a set welded up out of stainless. They used a marine-carb and got rid of the fuel injection. PM me please so I remember to do it.

Thanks

Brian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.