Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Width of stock 914 steel wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carreraguy
Dumb question - couldn't find answer using Search. What is the width of the stock 914 steel wheel - is it 4.5 or 5.5 inches? I'm selling mine and a prospective buyer is asking. I always assumed they were 5.5, but you know about assumptions.
Thanks,
Mueller
5.5 for Fuchs, Pedrinis and Mahles...steel rims "might" be 5.5 and some are smaller I think...

which steel rims?? there are 2 styles...
hmeeder
Are they early (70-72) steelies or the later (75-76) ones?

Early steel wheels were 4.5" all others were 5.5"
Gustl
early standard steel wheels were 4 1/2 x 15"
optional available steel wheels were 5 1/2 x 15"

later steel wheels were 5 1/2 x 15"

wavey.gif Gustl
1970 Neun vierzehn
Early '70/4s came with 4.5 steel, even w/appearance group(as mine did). I think that by '72, 5.5" steel were universal unless the car came w/alloys(which were always 5.5").
obscurity
My 71 has 5.5 steel wheels. I think the 4.5 wheels were the VW style with the hub caps while the 5.5 had only center caps

Of course I could be totally wrong
carreraguy
Thanks for the quick response guys!

The wheels in question are from a 1976 914/4 (pic attached). The majority consensus appears to be that they are 5.5 inches wide so I'll go with that unless I hear otherwise. smile.gif
lapuwali
Those are indeed the (late) steel wheels, aka Super Beetle wheels. The width should be 5.5", and should be stamped on the rim itself, probably looking like 5.5Jx15. J means it's a rim suitable for a tubeless tire.
GWN7
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 22 2006, 02:30 PM) *

Those are indeed the (late) steel wheels, aka Super Beetle wheels. The width should be 5.5", and should be stamped on the rim itself, probably looking like 5.5Jx15. J means it's a rim suitable for a tubeless tire.

agree.gif

The car I just picked up (74) has those on it and it is stamped on them
Dave_Darling
Does anyone know exactly when the changeover to 5.5" "standard" steel wheels was? The 4.5s seem to have been gone by 73 at least, and probably (but not certianly!) by 72. Was it only 70-71, or 70-mid-71? I suppose I could check my parts book...

--DD
carreraguy
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 22 2006, 02:30 PM) *

Duh - why didn't I think of that! wacko.gif They are stamped as you indicated. Thanks!
Dave_Darling
Interesting. Mr. PET says 4.5" up through 73, 5.5" afterward. I'm pretty sure that 5.5s were available the whole time, though optional on the early cars. And I'm mostly sure that by 73 the 4.5s were gone...

--DD
hmeeder
Hussey's 914 Tips Book reports:

71 and 72 having the 4.5 inch silver painted steel wheels and 71, 72 and 73 also having a 5.5 inch silver painted steel wheel.

Perhaps for different trim levels or options?

The superbeetle "styled" steel wheel was available 74 - 76.

Seems consistent with what many here are saying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.