Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radio antenna..who & where?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
Did the factory install the radio antenna? The dealer? Or maybe both? And where is the correct site for installation? Left or right front fender? And whose brand....Hirschmann? Motorola? It almost seems as if it is period-correct, it would be OK. There probably was a lot of dealer discretion in this area.
tod914
Hirshman on the left front fender. Keep in mind the new replacements fully retract. The originals stuck out about 8" from the top of the fender when stowed.
I replaced my original one with the replacements being the car cover fits better.
The newer ones are also slightly smaller in diameter at the base. I doubt many people would notice the difference once you have it on.
914runnow
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 22 2006, 02:20 PM) *

Did the factory install the radio antenna? The dealer? Or maybe both? And where is the correct site for installation? Left or right front fender? And whose brand....Hirschmann? Motorola? It almost seems as if it is period-correct, it would be OK. There probably was a lot of dealer discretion in this area.

Dealer did.......Some on occasion would put on psngr side by mistake...
The exit hole is in the dash area..(by the fresh air intake fan)
which on occasion would get caught up in the fan cables and raise havoc..
Then goes left to the hole in and thru
the driver side fender..Naturally with the appropriate rubber body washers.
Motorola ..Blaupunkt..Craig 8 tracks ..such as my 75 has with no hole and a
window antenna....As the dealer saw fit or requested ahead by the customer..
Hard to find an original in these cars anymore...On a local scale show not a real
point buster..National ..Yes!!
Models on the anntenna's....Hirsh seemed to be the most popular..
Most of them 'freeze up'.. and get replaced..Very hard to find an original on those..
Pat is yours still Original??
simonyak
I had one dealer installed on the passenger side by Brumos back in '72.
1970 Neun vierzehn
914 runnow,
Pat doesn't have an antenna installed on his '72, but my '70 still has the original Hirschman w/AM-FM Motorola. The sound quality of these units, now 36 years old, is not exactly "leading edge" rolleyes.gif However, I'm never inclined to turn the radio on anymore, prefering instead to listen to the sonorous sound of the engine and exhaust note biggrin.gif Not having audio distractions also permits me to be attentive to any new, untoward sounds that might manifest themselves while I'm driving. driving.gif I don't want to be listening to 120 dcbls of QuickSilver MessengerService and have some knock, clank, rattle or clatter go unnoticed. ohmy.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ May 22 2006, 10:43 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 22 2006, 02:20 PM) *

Dealer did.......Some on occasion would put on psngr side by mistake...
The exit hole is in the dash area..(by the fresh air intake fan)
which on occasion would get caught up in the fan cables and raise havoc..
Then goes left to the hole in and thru
the driver side fender..Naturally with the appropriate rubber body washers.
Motorola ..Blaupunkt..Craig 8 tracks ..such as my 75 has with no hole and a
window antenna....As the dealer saw fit or requested ahead by the customer..
Hard to find an original in these cars anymore...On a local scale show not a real
point buster..National ..Yes!!
Models on the anntenna's....Hirsh seemed to be the most popular..
Most of them 'freeze up'.. and get replaced..Very hard to find an original on those..
Pat is yours still Original??

Mine is still original, in that it ain't there! Never had the guts to drill the fender. Used a windshield unit for several years, but got gigged at a Parade for it, so off it came. If I'm really hard up to listen to the radio I plug in another windshield unit, but just leave it draped on the dash - works just fine.

If I haven't had the guts to drill the fender after 34 years, I'm not likely to start now. Yeah, I know........chicken
JeffBowlsby
My bumblebee has an original antenna on the drivers side. It retracts down and snaps into place, and has this cool forked shaped key to unlock it. Anyone else have one like this?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 23 2006, 11:20 PM) *

My bumblebee has an original antenna on the drivers side. It retracts down and snaps into place, and has this cool forked shaped key to unlock it. Anyone else have one like this?

icon_bump.gif

I have the same on my 73 T. It's a nice feature & keeps the antenna from being a problem for the car cover.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 23 2006, 08:18 AM) *

Mine is still original, in that it ain't there! Never had the guts to drill the fender. Used a windshield unit for several years, but got gigged at a Parade for it, so off it came. If I'm really hard up to listen to the radio I plug in another windshield unit, but just leave it draped on the dash - works just fine.

If I haven't had the guts to drill the fender after 34 years, I'm not likely to start now. Yeah, I know........chicken

Interesting....

So at a Parade judging no one would notice that you had a radio installed without an antenna, and not question it?

smg914

Jeff,
My '73 has the same type as yours.
botoo
QUOTE(smg914 @ May 27 2006, 12:50 PM) *

Jeff,

Mine is the same way and I would make an educated guess that this is considered the original antenna and location.
914runnow

DITTO MR. B!!! ON MINE TOO 73 2.0....Thanx Again on the YnZ rewire...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ May 24 2006, 06:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 23 2006, 08:18 AM) *

Interesting....

So at a Parade judging no one would notice that you had a radio installed without an antenna, and not question it?

hide.gif

Apparently.....but let's keep that our secret. Won my class at Parade twice & was never given a deduct for it. Don't really feel that I should. When you consider it, the antenna would be a dealer "option". Nothing says I had to buy the option.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(smg914 @ May 27 2006, 01:50 PM) *

Jeff,

Maybe its because our cars came from the same dealership a few months apart? confused24.gif
Mark Henry
My 74 has the same fork key unit....same coast.... different country
GWN7
74 passenger side ...it's a single pull extension unit (one leaf)
TJB/914
Hirshman antenna mounted on the drivers side fender. See the (2) pronged key to lift the antenna up.

Tom
Pat Garvey
driving.gif
Since I don't do holes, never used a sawzall, drills scare the scrap out of me too - my antenna is a ten-penny nail w/stereo wire wrapped around it. On the extremely rare circusmstance that I want to listen to anything by my motor, I plug it into the radio jack, lay it on the dash & it works fine.

My left front fender is more perfect than yours - bllppgghh!

Sorry, scared sh_tless of drilling holes after this many years.
BS Chairman
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 11 2006, 05:11 PM) *

Hirshman antenna mounted on the drivers side fender. See the (2) pronged key to lift the antenna up.

Tom

agree.gif mine looks like Toms. Also have the key.
GWN7
Those are speed holes...that and the fact that it's yellow makes it a very fast car wink.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Thread icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif for Jonathan.
orange914
o.k. kennys 73 is an oddball, its on the passenger side. it's in the europeon early 73 group so that may be another oddity i'll put on the list. biggrin.gif

mike
McMark
The dealers drilled the holes wherever they wanted. Porsche didn't give a rats ass. It was up to the dealer, and more likely, up to the individual tech who installed it. So the ones on the passenger side are not 'mistakes'.
Rubber Boa
I have a 74 bumble bee and the antenna is on the passenger side.

Boa
sixnotfour
Blaupunkt
sixnotfour
full
sixnotfour
dup
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.