Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: distributor problem?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-greggers
distributor questions

Hi guys
Ihave been reading everything on dizzys I can get my hands on lately.

here is my problem: I have two dizzys (009 centrifugal and 011 vac. advance)
I also have duel 40 idf carbs (no vac. advance )
[Idon't want to put the vac advance hose to the intake
as webbercarbs www says that spot loses vac when
you open the butterflys]

and the 009 only has one spring in the centerafugal
advance part

So witch one do I use and how? confused24.gif

Or do I buy a different one ? (witch one)
Rand
What about the stock distributor with just vacuum retard? Not sure which number it is... 050?
lapuwali
Not the 009, certainly. Wrong advance curve for anything but a stationary engine (like in a generator) that's meant to run at only one speed.

There are ways to get a good vacuum signal out of IDFs. If the IDFs have vacuum ports on them (not all do), then tie them together and plumb that into a fuel filter, then into the vacuum can on the distributor. The filter helps damp the pulses in you get in invididual throttle bodies like the IDFs.

The real distributor to use if you're intent on using the IDFs is a Mallory, which has many springs available to tune the advance curve. Use the two grey springs to get the best advance curve for the Type IV. Getting a Unilite Mallory also eliminates the points/condensor.
rhodyguy
if you want to get your car up and running go ahead and use the 009. don't waste any money on a compufire or similar, points and a condensor are fine. it will do the job until you can spring for a mallory. or, get a mallory now and be done with it.

k
pete-greggers
the other dizzy is a 011
jfudx4 0231 174 011 039 905 205a

there are on vac advance ports on my carbs?

How much is a mallory?
pete-greggers
Can I put a vac hose into the air filter? Will that work?
lapuwali
QUOTE(pete-greggers @ May 22 2006, 05:55 PM) *

Can I put a vac hose into the air filter? Will that work?

No, it has to be below the throttle plates.
pete-stevers
hey greg you cheep bugger...spring for the good stuff!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.