Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where did you mount your BCS?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
I got off my lazy ass and decided to do something to my 914 this summer. Are you ready for the earth-shattering upgrade I'm doing?

I'm mounting a cup-holder.

Wait...not a cup-holder. It's a "Beverage Containment System." (That's what you call a $100 cup-holder.)

I got one of these...anyone else have one? (It's called a BCS F3...the F2 is pictured.)

IPB Image

The trick is that I'm having trouble finding somewhere to mount the thing. It requires the ability to swing around, so I think I need to make a bracket of some sort. I'm trying to keep my dash pretty stock.

Any ideas?
CptTripps
Nothing Huh....
Joe Ricard
I use the center hole of the wheel to hold my drink while driving.
Diamond racing wheel with Hoosier is one sturdy cup holder.
tdgray
Whew Doug don't take on too much now biggrin.gif (j/k)

You know what would be cool. How about making a bracket to slide into the ashtray somehow and then the cup holder can hang from that?

Just a thought... I agree I would not want to make any permanent holes in dash etc. Gotta be creative.

Keep us advised.
rick 918-S
Nuthin, just Hi Doug!
Gint
The title of this thread threw me a curve.

Now that I actually have a nice 914 daily driver, I've been thinking about doing something similar lately. No real plans, but some thoughts...

Maybe some sort of bracket mounted up under the center of the dash. Perhaps something that protrudes down or even folds down and then back up and out of the way when not in use. If you have a console it might get in the way, but that's nothing that can't be worked around.
Gint
Almost forgot...

Hiya Doug bye1.gif
MartyYeoman
I have a similar "marine mount" cup holder mounted in my 914. I mounted it to the center console on the passenger side about half way down the side. High enough to retrieve from, yet low enough to allow easy cup removal. It came with a removable mount so I can stash it out of the way when there's a passenger leg in the way.
Rusty
Hi Doug! wavey.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
CptTripps
Hey gang...thanks for saying Hi.

I think I'm going to take a piece of square-tube and put 2 15* bends in it. So I can mount it on the dash between the heater and the radio, and then hang the mount on the tube after it clears the bottom dashpad.

I COULD put it directly on there, but then it won't swivel like it's supposed to.

I guess it's time to bust out the chop-saw and welder again. (I'm still on the same tank from when I did my foor-pans...if that tells you how long it's been since I used it!)

I'll do a thread on it...more info to come!
CptTripps
Something like this...
Brando
Hey Doug, what's crackin man?

I think most married men have a cup-holder in their car... The wife lol2.gif j/k...

Maybe put the mount underneath the bottom dash trim piece.
SirAndy
just my 2 cents worth of drivel ...

i haven't installed it yet but i'm looking at a more or less generic cupholder that mounts flat to a vertical surface and folds out when needed.
they are fairly small and narrow, so they don't take up much space when folded up.

i've been thinking of mounting it on the side of the lower outside part of the center console on the pass. side, so it's out of my way but still close enough to reach.

IPB Image

IPB Image

they're cheap too, less than 10 bucks ...
idea.gif Andy
rick 918-S
I haven't figured out how to install it yet, but I have a cool Saab cup holder. You push a button and it comes straight out of the dash with this cool unfolding action. A little too big for the ash tray slot. And you know where it came from doug... Can you say free-bee..
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Hi Doug: There is a guy in Mich. that made one out of a extra ash tray. You pulled it out a straps droped down to hold the drink. When your done fold the straps up ,and push in the ash tray.You then have a stock looking dash again. just a thought. Dave slap.gif
Brad Roberts
Where is he anyway? The Nurse. I forget his name. Bought his Malagna (sp?) car from a customer of mine.

Tom. I just recalled his name.

Havent heard a damn thing from him in awhile.

B
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Brad ;
That would be Tom Mulcrome, AkA Curvy Roadlover ,He hasen't been heard from latey,I was talking to someone else about him Sun> he said Tom has changed his E-Mail Address. Anyone who knows it ,please send it to me . Thanks Dave slap.gif
bd1308
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 26 2006, 11:33 AM) *

I haven't figured out how to install it yet, but I have a cool Saab cup holder. You push a button and it comes straight out of the dash with this cool unfolding action. A little too big for the ash tray slot. And you know where it came from doug... Can you say free-bee..

Do you still have it? I got one in my goodie box you sent me cool_shades.gif

immediately I thought ash tray....I thought it would fit?

b
elocke
Got bored in the garage one night. It's ugly, but it works.
CptTripps
Rick: Out of a 9-5 or a 9-3? The Verticle one in a 9-5 was the best cupholder ever...the on in my 9-3 sucks. I never use it. I DO know where you got it though.

Andy: I'd thought about one of those, but this one is billet aluminum with ball bearings...that means it's better...right? wink.gif

Royce: I'll let you tell her that... laugh.gif

I'm going to bust out the welder this weekend...I'll make sure to take pics and do a thread on it.
GaroldShaffer
John Takehara aka the Lurker has one mounted to the dash frame, but his is gutted and borderline street car, more DE / Race car. I made this up using a old ash tray and cup holder from Jbugs. Check out this LINK (CUPHOLDER) to my post wih more details. Works great beer3.gif clap56.gif
CptTripps
Yeah, John's car is pretty sweet. I saw it at MWC last year. I think his is mounted at the ashtray. I've got pics somewhere, but I have a dash so it doesn't matter...I can't put it there anyway.

I'm going to work on it tomorrow...
bondo
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 27 2006, 05:45 AM) *

Royce: I'll let you tell her that... laugh.gif

hehe, that was bRando.. bRRRRRRRRRRRando. I am bondo. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.