Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper style options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
Looks like my mildish 2.0/4 rebuild will require front oil cooling despite the many threads from 6 guys who run at 210 all day through the mojave with stock coolers. I was looking at getty 916 bumpers and their other offerings most of which I do not like. I am looking for pix of front mount oil coolers done with stock 73/early bumpers if such a thing exists. I have a rather large hole cut in my trunk for missing AC. It would be great to mount here. Can I pick up enough air flow mounted horizontal in this location?
Aaron Cox
get a FG GT bumper and FG GT valence....

makes about a 5" tall opening..... plenty of cooling.

me - i am just using the GT valence... which gives about a 2" opening.

AA
ppickerell
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 22 2006, 09:37 PM) *

AA

Are you referring to the Getty GT stuff?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(ppickerell @ May 22 2006, 09:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 22 2006, 09:37 PM) *

AA

Are you referring to the Getty GT stuff?

ANY fiberglass GT bumper and GT valence....

getty just makes the best stuff....
Aaron Cox
ala this....
McMark
Patrick, I bet good money that just putting the oil cooler in place without actually cutting air holes will be sufficient. I'd go that route first.
McMark
I would also love to see some temp reading taken directly from your on-engine oil cooler to see if it's getting flow or not.
Lou W
QUOTE(McMark @ May 22 2006, 10:06 PM) *

Patrick, I bet good money that just putting the oil cooler in place without actually cutting air holes will be sufficient. I'd go that route first.

McMark, Are you talking about mounting an oil cooler where his a/c was?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Lou W @ May 22 2006, 10:12 PM) *

i think he talking about using the "body" plugs that are behind the bumper/valence
McMark
Even if Patrick didn't have a giant hole in the trunk I expect an oil cooler would do the job he needs just fine. The fact that he does have extra air flow is just bonus.
DanT
This is my 25 row oil cooler mounted in the floor of the front trunk. It is mounted with a 1600 cfm fan blowing thru the cooler and out the bottom of the trunk.
ppickerell
QUOTE(Lou W @ May 22 2006, 10:12 PM) *

I seem to remember pix of an ac hole bootyshake.gif mount. Anyone? When I get the car back WTF.gif this week I will ar15.gif shoot some temps.
McMark
No Aaron. Just having the oil far away from a heat source for that long amount of time would be sufficient for the small amount of cooling Patrick needs. I expect he could put a cooler in a completely sealed trunk and get sufficient cooling for his needs.
ppickerell
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 22 2006, 10:17 PM) *

This is my 25 row oil cooler mounted in the floor of the front trunk. It is mounted with a 1600 cfm fan blowing thru the cooler and out the bottom of the trunk.

Dan,
Nice, does it use a thermostat or is the fan always on? Is the fan mandatory?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(McMark @ May 22 2006, 10:19 PM) *

No Aaron. Just having the oil far away from a heat source for that long amount of time would be sufficient for the small amount of cooling Patrick needs. I expect he could put a cooler in a completely sealed trunk and get sufficient cooling for his needs.

ahh.. yeah.
look at 911's.... most of the cooling was done by the lines... and not by the goofy trombone cooler.

if in fact he just needs marginal cooling, then yeah, i agree... 20 feet of line might do it....
DanT
floor of trunk with 15 holes of 1.5 inch diameter...this would more or less correspond to the hole in your trunk floor from the A/C
DanT
Holes in valence correspond to holes in front bulk head from factory, just remove the rubber grommets.
Fan is on the fog light switch wiring. rewired switch so it is hot when ignition is on. works great.
Thermostat for oil circuit is housed in Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate mounted between engine block and oil filter.
race914
I've had good success with adding a 'splitter' to my front spoiler along with a cutout on the front bumper

IPB Image

Click to view attachment

Didn't get enough air through the cooler until I added the 'splitter' for force the air through
ppickerell
Any AC hole mounts sans fan and stock bumpers??
Mueller
Patrick, please do not install a 916 front bumper on that car, if you do, I might be forced to "pee" in your EDM tank (with power turned off of course)

I dig the GT look !!!!!
Brad Roberts
Patrick,

just to be clear here: 911's and 9146's cool the cars with upwards of 12 Quarts of OIL and a fan that moves a lot more air.. and an oil cooler that is almost double that of the 4cyl oil cooler as far as size goes.

You have 4 quarts.
Brad Roberts
Here is what I would do first:

This is what I do on the 2.0 stock injected race engines:

Run the Scat deep sump. It ads something like 2 quarts to the system and it is bolt on. They run $150 or so. and take 30min to install. Dont buy the super deep one. They have a thinner version that fits perfectly between your header. Try that first. I typically run a front mounted cooler and the deep sump.

B
Brad Roberts
50020 = 1-1/2 QUART TYPE 4 / 914 FINNED 356-T6 ALUMINUM OIL SUMP

That is the Scat Part number. Any VW Bug place in your area can buy from Scat.

I'll have pics in a minute.

B
Aaron Cox
jake likes the deeps better than the tuna can, because they have a higher threshold of pain, when you smack a speed bump or something...

more robust. but they do hang LOW
turboman808
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 22 2006, 09:17 PM) *

I kinda like that design. Do you think if I did that and had it pulling up it would get enough air? I think there has got to be enough gaps for air to escape thru the toparound the lid.
Brad Roberts
That design works well IF you have an alternator.

Front mounted are more efficient at cooling. NO energy required.

The system shown above is GREAT for street cars that see traffic (of course it works in race cars also)

B
bernbomb914
I have a scat sump plus a rear mounted cooler with fan under the pass. side trunk. It works very well and is a lot simpler than routing it to the front. my engine is a 2270 and it stays cool.

Bernie
turboman808
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 23 2006, 09:22 AM) *

That design works well IF you have an alternator.

Front mounted are more efficient at cooling. NO energy required.

The system shown above is GREAT for street cars that see traffic (of course it works in race cars also)

B

Yeah I am not sure if I need to do this type of setup or not. So far I have never seen it go above 190. And I have never turned un the rear oil cooler fans. I imagine all this will go out the window once I hit the road course and see what kinda temperature I am really dealing with.

Good thing is the car has a high output alternator so that setup would probably work well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.