Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 trans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeff Bonanno
can any parts be scavenged from this tranny (ie synchros, teeth)? i'm thinking of bidding on it if so:

tranny on ebay

thanks,
jbb
Bleyseng
syncro's you don't want to reuse buy new. The gear sets (yes, sets!) are worth getting and you can reuse the sliders. Bug guys are always looking for the rear cover with the shift arm so they can use a 901 tranny in their bugs. The output flanges can be used also if you are switching over to 5 lug.

Geoff
Jeff Bonanno
thank you Geoff.
Mueller
The gear sets (yes, sets!) are worth getting and you can reuse the sliders

"if" they are in good condition, if not, then it's a gamble blink.gif
Jeff Bonanno
you mean the sliders?
Brad Roberts
The gears. The only value in that box (unless it happens to have a LSD in it) is the different ratios that are "probably in it".

Other than that.. its a 250$ core box.

B
Bleyseng
How much abuse does a 911 tranny take compared to a 914 one. I 914 boxes I have opened up are usually pretty fucked up from lack of oil changes, bad clutch adjustments, just plane mis-use.
The 3 tail shifter boxes were in better shape than the sideshifter ones. Probably cuz you have to stay in one gear all the time cuz you can't shift em?

Geoff
Red-Beard
Don't re-use the synchro's????? I diagree with that. 4th and 5th the Synchro is usually in reasonble to decent shape. Synchro's went from $20 each (Replace them all) to $60 each. I do re-use them.

I'm working with a machine shop to face and re-point sliders. Depending on which slider it is, these cost anywhere from $150 to $400 each, new. And Dog teeth from 4th and 5th are usually salvageable. I'll report out when/if I can get the sliders done.

Tail shift trannies usually are in better shape since usually someone replaced it, less use, and they were only used in 1.7s. I think the main reason a side shift is available is because it IS bad. I usually pay $100 for a core tail shift. Core sideshift's are around $250.

my $1.25

James
Bleyseng
Well yeah, 4th and 5th gear syncros do last longer and the gears can be re used. I would replace all the others just because if you have it out and apart, do it now.
The 4th and 5th gear slider usually isnt so worn out either but if the 2nd/3rd is replace it along with those dogteeth.
Of course, if you are on a cheapassbudget, you can just take the best parts form several trannys and slap a runner together instead of grinding every gear change on the worn out box you were using.

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.