Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will 2.0 ss heat exchangers fit a 1.8?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I have a set of real nice 75 2.0 SS heat exchangers. I was wondering if they will fit my 1.8. The flange that attaches to the muffler on the 2.0 is triangular in shape, while the 1.8 the shape is more retangular (trapezoid). Is there an adapter or do you just buy some sort of flange for the 2.0 that would replace the flange on the muffler (i.e. weld).

My 2.0 heat exchangers from the looks of them would probably increase my exhaust flow...thus my air flow through my L-Jet...hoping to get a few more hp.
rhodyguy
the stub tubes and the way the piping curves around is sort of a pain to deal with. you will also need the 2 correct pieces of tin that attach to the hes and the case.

k
Cap'n Krusty
The late (75/76) HEs are known to be less efficient. Save your money. Yes, they'll fit. ALL stock type HEs fit all the T4 engine varieties found in the 914. BTW, they're not what we would call SS HEs. The actual exhaust tubing is the same old steel material as the early units. Why do we have this question nearly every week? The Cap'n
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 23 2006, 06:16 AM) *

The late (75/76) HEs are known to be less efficient.

and they're friggin' heavy
you're better off buying some stainless 1.8 exchangers. there always seems to be a set for sale

Mueller
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 23 2006, 07:16 AM) *

Why do we have this question nearly every week? The Cap'n

lazyness?!?!?! poke.gif

'cause most people only read threads that pertain to them directly or that they think will be entertaining....I don't have a /6, yet I still read threads that people post 'cause three is a good chance I'll learn something.....it's not that hard to read more threads, it's not like you have to read each and every post, just take 10 seconds to see if you could possibly learn something wacko.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 23 2006, 06:48 AM) *

I have a set of real nice 75 2.0 SS heat exchangers.
there was no such thing as a '75 SS heat exchanger ...

now, *if* you are lucky, someone backdated a '75 car with a nice set of 2.0L SSI heat exchangers. if that is the case, they would certainly be better than the stock 1.8L HE's ...

a lot of people mistake the late style HE ('75/'76) for stainless because they look shinier (is that a word?) than the early ones ...

there were *never* any stainless HE's from the factory for the 914. ever. all stainless HE's were aftermarket ...

post a pic of the supposed to be SS HE's and we'll let you know what you got ...
beerchug.gif Andy
Dave_Darling
Triangular flange == 75-76 exhaust == el sucko.

For the late exhaust, you'd need to swap all of the heater parts out as well. All that on top of decreased performance, even over the stock 1.7 (and also 74 1.8) exhaust!

What you have is better than what you are looking at getting.

--DD
computers4kids
[quote name='SirAndy' date='May 23 2006, 11:06 AM' post='686546']
[quote name='computers4kids' post='686379' date='May 23 2006, 06:48 AM']

a lot of people mistake the late style HE ('75/'76) for stainless because they look shinier (is that a word?) than the early ones ...

there were *never* any stainless HE's from the factory for the 914. ever. all stainless HE's were aftermarket ...

post a pic of the supposed to be SS HE's and we'll let you know what you got ...
beerchug.gif Andy
[/quote]

So the 2.0's are no better than my stock 1.8 heat exchangers--it was worth a shot--Andy, you're right...the shiny metal made me think they were stainless. PS the picture of these 1.8 exchangers are not mine, just handy. I have a set of both.
SirAndy
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 23 2006, 06:04 PM) *

PS the picture of these 1.8 exchangers are not mine, just handy.
too bad for you ... the picture on the left looks like what appears to be a set of dirty *stainless steel* SSI HE's for a 1.7L/1.8L ...
that would be indeed almost exactly what you're looking for ...

the pic on the right is a stock '75/'76 exhaust which is *not* stainless and yes, it's worse than the stock HE's you currently have ...
biggrin.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.