Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition or fuel Injection problem?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nbscooters
Heres the scoop. I have a 73 2.0 with fuel injection. The car has been sitting for 15 years. Over the past year or so, I have been piecing her back together to get her back on the road again. She has all new fuel lines and hoses and they are all routed correctly. I drove it for the first time last Thursday and she ran strong. Yesterday, when I would take off it starts very slow and it puts along and jerks. Then finally, when I get into 2nd, it does the same thing before I get into 3rd. My speculation is ignition because that is the system I didn't look over to well. What puzzles me is that it ran nearly perfect the day I first drove it and now it took a dump on me. Has anyone had any issues similiar to mine? HELP ME OUT GANG!

Thank You,
Ricky Wernicke

ps dont even mention anything about switching to carbs...
Mueller
no mention of what you did to the tank and filter(s)....
nbscooters
I drained the tank months ago and put in 2 gallons. Then when I got it back together and I was running out of fuel on Friday, so I filled the tank completely which was the first full tank of gas since 1991. I did install a new fuel fiter. I was talking to my dad and he said that varnish might have collected in the tank and when I filled the tank on Friday, the fuel has pulled the varnish off the rest of the tank and that is running through my fuel system.
lapuwali
Change the fuel filter again.

Shine a light down the fuel filler and look for rust particles near the outlet. You may want to drain the tank, pull it out, and check the "sock" over the outlet, to make sure it's not completely clogged with stuff.
nbscooters
icon_bump.gif
nbscooters
With the harness hooked up correctly, injectors two and three dont spray anything. If I swap those injectors in place of 1 and 4, they work properly. The injectors I do have, work.

I was suspecting it might be a computer issue, so I swapped it with 2 other FI computers I have.

Now, im pissed. I used a volt meter to detect that there was contact between the terminals of the injector connector and the end of the wiring harness. Those have good contact and good ground. For sport, I swapped harnesses with another ol one I had lying around and no difference.

Now, I am starting to think it has to do something with the ignition. It has brand new plugs. The cap and rotor are in good shape. Each cylinder is getting plenty of spark.

I am wondering if it is a trigger point issue. Which would be my last guess.
swl
Can't get to my Haynes right now to check the pairing but it sure sounds like trigger points. With all that you have tried that's about the only thing left. Maybe pull the dist and check it with your meter.

You might also check continuity on the wiring harness going into the trigger points. It is possible that could have been damaged as you were troubleshooting the original problem.
nbscooters
I figured it out!!!! After reading around, I found that the trigger points set of injectors #1 and #4 and once and then it does #2 an #3 injectors. Since I only had injectors #1 and #4 working, I pulled the distributor, cleaned the trigger points, set the timing, and that was it. Now, if I can figure out my first gear problem, I would be all smiles.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nbscooters @ May 25 2006, 11:19 PM) *

Now, if I can figure out my first gear problem, I would be all smiles.
tell us more about it ...

smile.gif Andy
nbscooters
I go to put it in first and 1 out of 10 times its in there. When I do get it in, It slips out. Sometimes I have to hold it in really tight, but even if I do that it sometimes slips and i hear my syncros telling me to take it easy. Ive changed the bushings and tranny oil and for the past few days I have been starting out in 2nd.

It can be embarressing when I ever come to a stop.

Linkage?
ptravnic
try tightening the clutch cable. Could be as simple as that...
Bartlett 914
I had the same problem with my transmission. On my car the problem was a worn 1 / reverse operating sleeve. I would put the car into first as I would come to a stop. It would go into gear this way. It also meant that I had to hold my foot on the clutch the whole time I was stopped. I didn't like it but that is what I had to do. I hope a clutch or shifter adjustment corrects your problem. It may be that simple. If not, try doing what I did and see it that helps. The operating sleeve is a littly pricy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.