914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
70Sixter
$5k for a Boxster roof! bs.gif

Cayman
Mueller
QUOTE(70Sixter @ May 23 2006, 02:27 PM) *

$5k for a Boxster roof! bs.gif

Cayman

not sure why you have a problem with the extra charge..it's not like they are just bolting on a top....there is a lot of tooling that they need to recover the costs on....
turboman808
That's not bad.

turbo it and go beatup on 911s
Brad Roberts
Get ready:

Cayman Cup!

Mark my words.

I'm in. First real paycheck in 3 years and I will be back in the black within 4 months!!!

I know where a 3.4 is with 1600 miles straight out of the CaymanS!!

B
horizontally-opposed
Much as I like the Cayman S, I have to agree that the pricing strategy is a...

WTF.gif alfred.gif bs.gif screwy.gif stromberg.gif poke.gif

Tooling costs aside (and rightly noted, Mike!), a convertible surely costs more to manufacture and assemble than a coupe. Moreover, PAG charges 911 buyers a nice $10,100 premium for the Cabrio over a similar coupe -- and the darn things outsell the coupes anyway.

So that tells me new 911 -- and maybe all new Porsche sports car -- buyers find the droptop models more desirable.

Yet PAG wants to charge $4-5K extra for the hardtop versions of the 987?!?!?

My local dealer better have a jsharp.gif or jsharp.gif jsharp.gif

The Caymans are piling up and the same ones haven't moved in 4-5 weeks now.

What's worse is checking online dealer inventories a few weeks ago:

Bay Area Dealer #1: 18 Cayman Ss
Bay Area Dealer #2: 17 Cayman Ss
Bay Area Dealer #3: 12 Cayman Ss
West LA Dealer: 33 Cayman Ss
San Diego Dealer #1: 18 Cayman Ss
San Diego Dealer #2: 17 Cayman Ss

But don't take my word for it, start googling for dealer inventories...and see for yourself.

Porsche could have sold the Cayman/S for either Boxster/S money (with a little extra performance, just as it is now) or with the same powertrains for half of the 911/Cabrio spread, or $5K less than Boxster/S pricing.

That would have given them a $40,000 car again -- and at real volume to offset those tooling costs. Oh well...what the hell do I know?

I just like driving.gif

Brad Roberts
I think sales have slowed across the board. Not just the Caymans.

"what do I know"

Um.. well.. you know the industry better than 99% of the people out there! biggrin.gif

Cayman Cup << say it with me...

B
grantsfo
Leave it to Porsche to charge more for a car that costs them less to produce than a Boxster! Typically its the convertible version of a car that commands the higher price. So why would you pay $7K more for a coupe version of a of the 2.7 Boxster?

I understand with Cayman S which gets big powerful engine, but how do they justify this price for 2.7 Cayman?

I dont think there will be a Cayman cup unless Porsche pushes one.
cbenitah
I for one love the Cayman.. After college is done (aka real job), Cayman here I come..
Eric_Shea
Surf City.... Hmmmmmmmm. There's a 914 in Hatteras wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.