Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hole in tailhousing.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
okieflyr
Click to view attachmentSo after moving the car around a bit while putting things back together, I noticed some oil on the ground. While this is not that unusual for a 914, this was tranny oil.
Thats when I discovered the hole this evening. I'd had the tranny worked over by a VERY experienced gentleman(whom I'll be calling in the morning).
It only has a couple of miles on it at the most, but it was enough to do the damage. My suspician is that the speedo gear has gotten loose and started backing out and jammed? I can see that the teeth are gone, and that the shaft has some wobble, as in loose. I'm hoping to be able to pull the housing, clean out the bits, and put on another donor housing? Can anyone confirm this?
Aaron Cox
who werked on it?

cuz that aint right
okieflyr
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 23 2006, 09:06 PM) *

who werked on it?

cuz that aint right

While there is a definite problem here, I'm not at a point of disclosing a name yet, as I've not talked to the gentleman yet to work out the repair scenario.
My concern is to get this fixed this weekend using donor parts, so I can go racing the first of June... Kevin
McMark
I've seen muffler hangers wear holes in that area, but nothing like that. I find it hard to believe that the speedo drive could cause that damage. Once the brass gear stripped the speedo gear won't do anything but sit there immobile.
Dr Evil
Wobble in that speedo shaft (the gold one) is normal. I don't think the speedo shaft caused this. strange indeed. Your muffler hanger looks a bit intrusive into that area, no?
So.Cal.914
It almost looks like that hanger should be spaced out a bit.
okieflyr
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 24 2006, 12:48 AM) *

It almost looks like that hanger should be spaced out a bit.

I'm checking into that. There is more room than the picture angle reveals, but not much. There is no contact statically, but i'm looking into some vibration/distortion contact scenerio. Kevin
jr91472
Been there done that.....

Oh the horror.....
Expansion bolt was NOT torqued properly. Do not drive it as you run the risk of damaging the ring and pinion.

If your are luckly you will only need to replace the speedo worm drive, expansion bolt, and rear cover.

good luck
Dr Evil
I have a spare bolt and drive, PM me.
jfort
same thing happened to me 6 weeks ago. tranny apart and put back together but mechanic did not tighten nut. speedo gear drilled a hole in the end of the case. replaced case end, speedo gear, pinion gear and first gear. running good now.
okieflyr
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 24 2006, 01:53 PM) *

I have a spare bolt and drive, PM me.

Thanks for the offer... I just spoke with my tranny guy, and I'll pull it and travel out to him on Sat to get it checked out thoroughly and hopefully fixed same day.
Kevin
Cap'n Krusty
You can't accurately set the shift forks with that bolt loose, makes me wonder what else he forgot. HOWEVER, it's a stretch bolt, so there's always the possibility it just broke. The Cap'n
okieflyr
Well we went back into the tranny this morning, and as suspected (and hoped for), it was only the the speedo shaft and gear that came loose. It preceeded to back out and bore it's way through. The tranny was disasembled and checked out, flushed, lubed and re-assembled. Drove it around the hood this evening, and so far so good. Looking foward to the shake down auto-x next weekend piratenanner.gif Kevin
Cap'n Krusty
"Came loose"? Did the roll pin break? I can't imagine that happening, but I suppose it could. The only other likely scenario is the bolt not being torqued properly. 12mkp isn't a torque likely to "come loose". The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.