Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would you get dinged for ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
smontanaro
I have never entered a concours before, but I think I'd tend more toward that sort of activity than AX. I have a '70 /6 (click my sig for a pic) that I bought last fall. I'm in the midst of doing this and that to it, and wonder how various changes I've finished or am contemplating would affect judging. Here are some for instances:
  • Optima battery
  • steel fuel lines
  • Eric Shea's zinc-plated pedal cluster
  • turbo tie rod ends

The Optima is easily enough reversed. The tie rod ends and pedal cluster much less so. The steel fuel lines seem like an obvious safety improvement.

Your thoughts?

Thx,

Skip Montanaro
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(smontanaro @ May 23 2006, 09:08 PM) *

I have never entered a concours before, but I think I'd tend more toward that sort of activity than AX. I have a '70 /6 (click my sig for a pic) that I bought last fall. I'm in the midst of doing this and that to it, and wonder how various changes I've finished or am contemplating would affect judging. Here are some for instances:
  • Optima battery
  • steel fuel lines
  • Eric Shea's zinc-plated pedal cluster
  • turbo tie rod ends
The Optima is easily enough reversed. The tie rod ends and pedal cluster much less so. The steel fuel lines seem like an obvious safety improvement.

Your thoughts?

Thx,

Skip Montanaro

Skip,
Depends on how hardcore the event is. I've seen regional events that were kept to the strict standards of a Parade, but they are not the norm - usually more low keyed.
I doubt that anyone would gig you for turbo tie rods, as they are an improvement.
The Optima battery would PROBABLY cause you grief only at Parade level.
The pedal cluster & fuel lines will probably cost you, but not that much, except at a Parade.

Most of us have made some minor changes to our 914's, knowing we'd lose a point or so for them. You try to make up for it in other areas. Highlight the cars positive areas by super-detailing for the WOW affect in other areas, insuring maximum points there.

I think there is someone making a cover for the Optima batteries, to make them look like "regular" batteries, but doubt it would fool anyone & I've only seen it advertised for 356's.

Just say to yourself - "OK, I'll give up a point or so for my personal changes; now, where can I make up for it?"
smg914
If you entered your car in Parade Preservation Group, all those items you list should be mentioned on the Concours Judges Scoring Sheet. However, I've noticed in the last few years that there is no consistancy between each Parade. So I guess it depends on who the judges are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.