Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FINALLY! The -6 is alive!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdogg
After 6 months of some pretty intense labor, and some really intense spending, my 2.4-6 CIS conversion project is alive!!!!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

It took about 6 months to go from this:
jdogg
To this:
jdogg
To this:
jdogg
I had plenty of help along the way

The same day this pic was taken, he was "working" inside the car when he poked his head out the window and proudly exclaimed "DAD!! I just cut some wires for you!!!" WHAT?!?!? Fortunately it was just a couple speaker wires that he got to....I couldn't be mad at him, he was so proud for helping!
vesnyder
Jason - Lookin' good - was it worth it? How about some better pics? Provide some details about investment of $$ and time. I saw ONE 914/6 heat exchanger go for ~$800 on eBay, whcih convinced me I did not have the resources to give it a try - as much as I'd like. What all did you have to do to the rear suspension? I am fixing and upgrading mine now and would sure like to be able to give it a try after I win the lottery!
jdogg
This has been a fun and very trying project. I have had this car for 4 years and have AX'd and tracked it with the stock 2.0, but really felt the need for a reliable and powerful motor. This -6 fits the bill....the first ride last friday night made all the effort and the drained bank accounts worth it! I ran an AX with it on sunday, and felt like I had to learn to drive all over again! The power is seamless, and never seems to run out! It pulls like a damn freight train!!!
Like with all 914 projects, I have run across some mighty fine people along the way. I purchased a lot of my conversion parts from Perry Kiehl, which was the best move anyone could have made. He really took an interest in seeing this project through, even calling several times out of the blue to check on progress and offer suggestions! That was way above and beyond the call of duty, especially in this day and age...Thanks Perry!!!
jdogg
Was it worth it???? HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!

My figures will be a little skewed, as I did a lot of horse-trading along with the purchase of some parts, plus selling all the type IV stuff...I would estimate that I have 6-7000 into the conversion, including the motor, a 59,000 mile CIS 2.4 that was booted in favor of a 3.2.

I really didn't take too many pics along the way, I was too busy working!!!

Time???? Way too freakin' much! I dropped the motor out of it around Thanksgiving, and just drove it last friday night...There was a lot of extra stuff along the way though, Hell Hole repair, cleaning, painting, etc....It could be done in much less time...
ken914
Great Job.

I have a 3.2 /6. Having had a few /4's the difference is amazing!

If you make it down to the Charleston, SC area drop in and we will compare cars!
jdogg
Ken-
The difference is astounding!!! I don't want to incite a war here, but I can say that I will never go back to a type IV...the whole experience of the 6 is unbelievable...the sound, the feel...no comparison...

How far are you from Roebling Road? I may be rolling through Charleston on the way to a track event in the near future, I'd love to hook up....although I will probably refuse a ride in your car...I don't need to develop a case of -6 envy so soon after finishing this up!!
736conver
Looks good Jason. Isnt it awesome to get a project like this completed.

the whole experience of the 6 is unbelievable...the sound, the feel...no comparison...

Aint that the truth brother
jdogg

It is never truly complete though, is it.....haha!! I have an oil leak to contend with, and there are tons of little odds and ends to button up....BUT, now I can at least take it for a ride if I don't feel like working on it!!!
736conver
BUT, now I can at least take it for a ride if I don't feel like working on it!!!

Keep those rides close to home at first. I had a couple of glitches and I was glad to be close to home.
Now I leave for a couple of hours and take the cell phone with so the wife can come and rescue me if needed.
ken914
Charleston is about a hour off of I-95 and about 2 hours from Roebling.

I am looking for a good PCA Driver Education event at Roebling. Can't wait to get my car on the track! I ran my Porsche 356 at VIR about a year ago in some semi hot parade laps. Man, what a blast!

I took my /6 to my first autocross last week and it was an incredible thrill. The power, the sound, the power. The crowd loved the car. I have an SC engine built to 3.2 liters. It has webers and makes all the coughing, popping and backfiring of a high strung late 60's or early 70's racer. I may not have been fastest, but I was in the running for best sounding.

If you hear of a good chance to run /6s at Roebling please let me know. I would love to get in on a weekend of safe, no-bumping racing.

Ken
jdogg
Ken-
My local sports car club is actually having an event at Roebling in mid-June. Last I knew there were still openings. They run very safe, fun events, no need to worry about tearing your car up. I have other things going on and will not be able to make that weekend. Check out the link: http://www.thscc.com/timetrial/index.html
If you are free, you should give them a try...they really are a great bunch!

VIR, eh? That's about an hour and a half away from me...I was actually there this past weekend visiting a friend after I ran an autocross just up the street. Definitely let me know if you are heading up this way again, maybe we can hook up at VIR!! I have done several events there, North course and the Patriot course...it is really a beautiful facility and a lot of fun to get around!
jdogg
Brian-
How true! Each trip goes just a little bit further...and only to places where I know I have cell phone coverage, haha!!! It hopefully won't be long till I'll be venturing out worry free!!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.