Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel cleaning advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
GaroldShaffer
Hi all,

My car is far from concours but I do have a question. I bought a real nice set of minilite rims last year from a fellow club member. He used then for AX & DE events so the stick on wheel weights were on the outside of the rim and covered with tape. I have new tires on them and with the stick on wheel weights on the backside of the rim. My question is what is best to remove the adhesive residue from the rims without damage to the finish?
tod914
Maybe try the 3M adhesive remover? test on inside of rim 1st, but it shouldnt harm the paint.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Tod is probably correct in his product advisory. I've recently used the stuff to also remove the residual adhesive from wheel weights on my white-painted motorcycle wheels. The remover took off the adhesive/tape with no apparent side effects to the (factory) painted wheel. As stated before, try a little application on the inside of the wheel rim first.
Pat Garvey
driving.gif

WD40! The ultimate multi-purpose-won't hurt nuthin' cleaner out there. Great for bug/tar too - just don't forget to re-wax the area. Can't beat it! I've even used it to kill crickets (hate those bastards) in the garage. Try it.
73Phoenix20
I have had good results using Automotive Strength "Goo Gone"...
Designed originally to remove adhesive from stick on sales labels...
Most Auto parts stores carry it...
beerchug.gif
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 24 2006, 08:41 PM) *

driving.gif

WD40! The ultimate multi-purpose-won't hurt nuthin' cleaner out there. Great for bug/tar too - just don't forget to re-wax the area. Can't beat it! I've even used it to kill crickets (hate those bastards) in the garage. Try it.

Ditto on the WD-40. the stuffs amazing......and it should be a good degreaser, deglue-er, de-bugger. Its a Petroleum based product. Kind of like gasoline, only a lot safer.
Porsche Rescue
I use Goof Off, also made to remove adhesive. Use a terry cloth rag for a bit of abrasive. I gotta try WD40 on tar.

How's that "new" wheel Garold?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.